It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Setting a precedent. Police use bomb robot to kill suspect.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm not really sure why people are upset by this action.

1) We have been using drones for some time now and doing the exact same thing worldwide
2) This guy was not going to be taken alive and was practically begging for the Dallas PD to assault his position to go down in a blaze of glory and take a few more cops with him
3) This guy had training so did the DPD have any idea of his level of preparation? IE Gas masks etc. Nope (you have to assume the worst)
4) A parking garage is a miserable tactical situation by any measure
5) This guy showed ZERO compulsion about killing the downed DPD officer in a manner similar to the Charlie Hebdo attack
6) A small focus blast would do minimal damage to surrounding areas. Its not as if they demo'd the whole structure.
7) There were bomb threats made by the suspect in the aforementioned crappy tactical situation (who would send in a bomb team in that situation AND under fire to clear the building?)
8) was clad in body armor and Tasers etc would not have worked assuming they could even get close enough

I don't see any of the armchair SWAT here volunteering to assault the position given the 8 things above.

Did we set a precedent? Nope we have already been doing this. People ALWAYS before homicidal gunmen
edit on 7/8/16 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I'm not really sure why people are upset by this action. 1) We have been using drones for some time now and doing the exact same thing worldwide

i have been upset before when they execute a young American because he is in the house that is being struck by a drone because his father is on the kill list. The son did not have cause to be arrested, yet he can be executed .
Something wrong there.... don't you think?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I was refering to this specific action of using the bomb robot to strike the gunman. I agree with you in regards to the use of Predators et al when targeting homes, events, etc. However in this case it was a far more selective use of a remote controlled device IMHO.

To the point, this does not set a precedence but is rather a logical evolution of the technology.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Has anyone asked where the DPD got the bomb in the first place? Surely that's not something they keep in their armories. Did they get it from the FBI, ATF, Marshal Service, or National Guard?
edit on 7/8/2016 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

most SWAT teams carry C-4 etc for breaching so this device could have been a simple brick of C-4 with a remote detonator to something more elaborate like a shaped charge. Did the robot survive the blast?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
you shoot 9 cops that weren't involved in the other shootings as a symbolic gesture, you get to eat a bomb

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I'm curious about something. Had this been a hospital, for example, and the shooter was targeting nurses, and they found him in an isolated area and sent in a robot, would you feel the same? Are you objecting to the robot because it was cops being killed?

Do you think LEO's have the right to defend themselves? Was the shooters life more valuable in some way than the officers?

The hospital is the nurses domain. Their workplace. They can defend it. The city itself is the police's domain, the entire city.

People sometimes do things so heinous, they forfeit their rights to due process. This is one of those times.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I've seen a few videos of dubious killings by cops, mainly on black people, is it really a surprise they would use an armoured bomb robot to kill another one?

There is a point, i mean it's never really addressed why someone would be so enraged as to open up on cops, and that's why it keeps happening again and again.

www.rt.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Tear gas

Starve him out

Bring his momma there and whip her ass or water board her (ala Trump) in front of him (just joking)

Bring his momma to ask him to give up, maybe

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Dallas Police’s ‘Bomb Robot’ Raises Sticky Questions

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Both the Dallas County Sheriff and the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Dallas use a type of robot called Marcbot-IV, according to a database operated by Bard College. These devices are explicitly created to dispose of explosives.

The Dallas Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for more details from The Huffington Post. Meanwhile, a report from Popular Science indicated that the Dallas Police Department used a different type of bomb disposal robot, called a “Remotec,” to access an armored van during a standoff last year. Over 90 percent of police bomb squad units use Remotecs, a spokesman for Northrop Grumman, the military technology company behind the robot, told Vice last year.

Little information is out according to this article.

I wonder did they send him some food on that Robot armed with a bomb?

So they sent the guy some white castle hamburgers and instead gave him a bomb?

In that case they should have gave him the burgers that of killed him for sure, and probably faster!

edit on 8-7-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

except he wasn`t just a suspect, the police talked to him on the phone and he admitted he did it and that he intended to kill more people.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

There was only one. The other man was a bystander who had a legal open carry permit and an AR15. Police put out his photo in error.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Bomb and Serve.............

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Bring on Robocop.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
they should have use knockout gas to capture him alive

Someone has watched and believed too many movies....

As it works so well.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 8-7-2016 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

First off I cant believe the cops don't carry assault rifles in trunk for just such and occasion. Got to be able to reach out at 100 yards.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Last night I saw a cop reach in his trunk for a rifle, I'm sure more did the same.
edit on 8-7-2016 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Wait let me get this right.
Everyone is suddenly cranky and upset because they used a bomb robot to take out a heavily armed suspect who has already shot 12 people?
the "bomb" robot was not autonomous, It didn't have an AI or anything. It was being driven remotely by a human operator.
The bomb robots main job is to defuse bombs so the explosive device was a last minute improvised device.
The triggering mechanism was done by human.
Keep in mind the police negotiated with the guy for several hours.
Comments he made were he wanted to kill more people and he had planted Improvised explosive devices.
How was the police to know if the suspect did or did not have a suicide vest?

We have had remotely piloted bomb robots since WWII.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
well!
the bad guys now know to Shoot any and
All drones robots small flying drones.
ok Shoot Every thing.
they can put Bombs on the pizza drone.
allready we have guns on drones.

my point is some gun men can be talk't down.
No more will they feel they can just Stop!
the Gov have what the want.
USA is a War zone.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mash3d

At least they didn't do like the Germans, sending dogs with explosives..... but you never know it may lead to that too....
edit on 8-7-2016 by imitator because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join