It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ticino region in Switzerland bans Moslem attire.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Muslims face fines up to £8,000 for wearing burkas in Switzerland.

A controversial Swiss law prohibiting Islamic dress has been used to fine a Muslim convert and a businessman, who protested the ban.

The rule, which came into effect in Ticino on Friday, was voted in by referendum and outlaws face-covering headgear.

Nora Illi and Rachid Nekkaz, who are prominent campaigners for the rights of Muslims, walked in the streets of Locarno in full Islamic dress soon after the rule was introduced.

They were stopped by police officers, who fined Mr Nekkaz, a French-Algerian national, £180 (CHF230). Ms Illi, from Zurich, who converted to Islam when she was 19, will receive a penalty of up to £7,700 (CHF10,000).

In 2011, Mr Nekkaz set up a million euro fund to help women all over the world who chose to wear a veil or burka where it is not allowed.

As the protest was being carried out by Ms Illi and Mr Nekkaz, local government officials collected signatures calling for a nationwide ban on the burka.

So it seems like the ban was enacted within a certain part of Switzerland while efforts are underway to enact it throughout the entire country.

I'm confused about the banned item in question. A different article seemed to say that it was just the face or head part?

I'm wondering if a law like that could be passed here in the US.

We do have public "decency" laws against which prohibits people from exposing too much skin.

But I dont think we have anything in place which prevents people from covering up?

Not to be confused with a mumu:

edit on 8-7-2016 by gladtobehere because: Homer

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Muslims face fines up to £8,000 for wearing burkas in Switzerland.

A controversial Swiss law prohibiting Islamic dress has been used to fine a Muslim convert and a businessman, who protested the ban.

The rule, which came into effect in Ticino on Friday, was voted in by referendum and outlaws face-covering headgear.

Nora Illi and Rachid Nekkaz, who are prominent campaigners for the rights of Muslims, walked in the streets of Locarno in full Islamic dress soon after the rule was introduced.

They were stopped by police officers, who fined Mr Nekkaz, a French-Algerian national, £180 (CHF230). Ms Illi, from Zurich, who converted to Islam when she was 19, will receive a penalty of up to £7,700 (CHF10,000).

In 2011, Mr Nekkaz set up a million euro fund to help women all over the world who chose to wear a veil or burka where it is not allowed.

As the protest was being carried out by Ms Illi and Mr Nekkaz, local government officials collected signatures calling for a nationwide ban on the burka.

So it seems like the ban was enacted within a certain part of Switzerland while efforts are underway to enact it throughout the entire country.

I'm confused about the banned item in question, is it just the head/face covering or the entire head to toe attire?

I'm wondering if a law like that could be passed here in the US.

We do have public "decency" laws against which prohibits people from exposing too much skin.

But I dont think we have anything in place which prevents people from covering up?
In Virginia it is a felony for any one over the age of 16 to wear a mask or a hood in public that obscures the wearers face/identity. So yes , technically a Muslim walking around VA. in a full burka is committing a class 6 Felony.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere
go Switzerland!

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
How can you tell if the person under the Burkas are really females or just males, is hard to tell, I mean covering of the head and body is ok as long as the face is exposed, but the covering of the entire body from head to toe is enforced under Sharia law.

I am right?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Eleven states and the District of Columbia already ban face coverings, either outright or under certain conditions. But these laws are a motley bunch, long on words but short on sense, and ill-equipped to provide actual security impartially in the modern world.

Three specifically exempt Mardi Gras revelers, one of them also including "minstrel troupes." One state tosses into its ban any "unnatural attire."

www.csmonitor.com...

Now as for banks they do not allow any type of face covering at all when you enter a bank.

France also banned burkas

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

You've been around here long enough, educate yourself, the Swiss get to pick their own laws within their own canton by referendum - true Democracy.

Thanks for the good find, it appears that certain parts of Europe haven't been Islamified yet - maybe other European countries can look to Switzerland as a rallying point - enough is enough.

S & F

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

How can you tell if the person under the Burkas are really females or just males, is hard to tell,

I had the same problem when holidaying in the US, LA had all sorts...

but the covering of the entire body from head to toe is enforced under Sharia law.

maybe yes maybe no...depends

www.google.com.au...

Sharia law (Arabic: شريعة) is the body of Islamic law. The term means "way" or "path"; it is the legal framework within which the public and some private aspects of life are regulated for those living in a legal system based on Islam.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
How can you tell if the person under the Burkas are really females or just males, is hard to tell, I mean covering of the head and body is ok as long as the face is exposed, but the covering of the entire body from head to toe is enforced under Sharia law.

I am right?
Yes, Sharia law forbids the unworthy and inferior property know as women from showing anything but there eyes and hands in public.
$&%# Sharia.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Burkas are a symbol of male control and the repression of women.

At best they just hide the bruises and at worse, they make women disappear.

Burkas are an affront to civilised society.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Something that is Not Equal, Abusive and Enslaves women and children, abuses them, harms, murders those who don't live like that evil ism/cult, NEEDS TO BE OUTLAWED EVERYWHERE. Not race, ISM/BELIEFS. Happens to be Saturn/Satan. The elite and just about everything official, and that cult as well is all about Saturn they're Saturnists. Cube= Saturn, and running around in circles gives it energy like a battery. In occult and satanic belief, anything that is a symbol for something, is the exact frequency of that thing and opens the portal to that thing.

None of this is legal, abuse of people, forcing beliefs, ie theocracy and any form of domination/violence breaks all the laws of the world. Both national and international!
edit on 8-7-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join