It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much is the media to blame for the Texas police shooting?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I believe that the media is no more to blame, or less, than anyone else. The media are not helping, because they spread propaganda, counter propaganda, propaganda which claims to be a cry against propaganda, you have filthy windbags like O'Reilly, and that GHASTLY judge who thinks her opinion is worth more than dirt just because some idiot wanted ratings and fat paycheck, whipping up frenzies amongst the right. You have social media and propagandists for the opposing party trying to mobilise the streets for their own gain, and the whole while people are being used as pawns....

But so are the media. The media is not the ringmaster here. They are as much under the whip as everyone else, except for the fact that media figures often know who is pulling their strings, unlike the rest of society. The government are at fault too, for not coming down like the fist of an angry deity on any officer who is even INVESTIGATED over a potential breach of practice, AND for allowing areas within certain cities to develop reputations for criminal violence, for failing the poor and the young in these areas. Society at large is to blame for turning the other cheek to haters on all sides...

But the ONLY people who bare any responsibility for the Dallas shooters actions, are the shooters themselves.

In every circumstance, a person has only one variable under their control. One, and one alone. That is how they, individually, are going to act. Media manipulation is no excuse, the behaviour of the government is not an excuse, the appeasement of the right wing by society in general, is no excuse, the behaviour of a small number of police is not an excuse.

The people who shot those police, and the police who shot those unarmed people, ALL have to take responsibility for their actions, regardless of the things which provide the context within which their actions were made. Simply put, a human being can and must choose to treat others well, regardless of the nature of man. A human being can and must choose to ignore the prattle of talk news shows and talking heads. A human being IS under an obligation to do the right thing, even when everyone around them is doing the wrong thing, especially then.

These individuals, the individual cops who are murderers, and the people who murder cops, are all wrong, all taken up, and all have thrown away their reponsibility, snuggled down into their bias and become comfortable in it. That is wrong, and all of them should pay for their crimes.
edit on 8-7-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The media can fan the flames, but society can't turn a blind eye to injustice. When incidents like this involve the pubic, the justice system and the police department should be completely transparent and unbiased. It shouldn't be handled by the prosecuting office because their working relations are way too close to police department personnel.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

The MSM are necromancers-they feed on death to suck viewers in.

They don't see a tragedy, they see an opportunity and they shove microphones into face of people who have witnessed a distressing crime. All too often the MSM forgets their integrity in order to get a scoop and that's not kosher.

I'd bet my last dollar that the press is climbing over their grandmothers to get footage of the funerals of the unfortunate victims funerals for both the black men and the cops that were shot.

Whatever happened to respecting the privacy of those who are mourning?
edit on 8-7-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Only on right wing world which is the laughing stock of EVERYONE else...globally...

Americans can't hear the laughter, our country is too far across the oceans.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Yes, the media is to blame. We should probably regulate free speech. The media wants viewers, listeners, readers, and clicks. They don't care how they get them. Does that mean running a story where an armed black felon in possession of a firearm attacks police, caught on poor quality video where you can't even see 2/3 of his body, runs instead of a white kid being shot point blank in the back by a cop over a small amount of weed? Yes. The issue obviously isn't police brutality. It's the same reason why you don't read stories about gun owners protecting themselves or others. I feel like a reasonably intelligent, and moderately rational, person would see and understand this. But within minutes of the events the media chooses to share with us you have people indicting one party or the other. We're an intelligent society with zero critical thinking skills, so ultimately it's our own fault. We let the media manipulate us. No one wants to admit that. When the "hands up don't shoot," along with the rest of the Michael Brown case, fell apart did you hear your friends who were ready to hang that cop apologize for their irrational behavior? No. They didn't even recognize it then, and have learned nothing from it now. They just do it again.
This might seem a bit off topic, but I realized this with the recent Hillary e-mail issue. No one can deny she lied and acted incompetently, but her supporters defend it by saying Rove and Bush and so many others did it too. Does that make it right? Does anyone actually have any interest in what's right? All that argument really tells me is that we knew they did it then, did nothing, and we're not willing to ever set a new precedent.
So, maybe the race issue escalates. Maybe it dies down. It will escalate again, because this won't stop happening. Even if we eradicated police violence do you not believe one single sensationalized event wouldn't put us right back at square one? Maybe I'm too cynical, but not only have I not seen any progress in my lifetime... but I don't see or hear anyone willing to take rational steps towards progress either. No justice no peace? If you've made your judgment before any formal investigation has been completed you're really not interested in justice at all. That's true no matter what color your skin is, your political affiliation, or what religion you follow. So maybe keep that in mind. Anyone who has already determined a guilty party is not interested in justice.
I don't like criticizing without offering a solution, but I honestly don't see one. Maybe if a meteor wipes 2/3 of us off the face of the planet we'll get super lucky and only the rational minds will remain.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: bender151

I think you nailed it but that "regulating free speech" is an awful slippery slope.

Real journalism has fallen victim to the quest for more viewers, listeners, readers, and clicks

The only person of much stature I've heard blatantly call out the media for being dishonest is Trump.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It is a problem that needs to be looked at. The race aspect thrown in or not, the use of lethal force by police in this country without reprocussion needs to be talked about more nationally.

Of course the media has to focus entirely on the race aspect with this case and shooter. If they did not, more attention would be directed solely at overwhelming police force and tactics used lately for minor things..

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The media is owned by higher powers that want turmoil especially since the current Clinton Fiasco. All we can hope is to delay martial law.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
90%.

The worst part about all this is they are doing it to get votes for the Democrats.

Sick.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadFoot
Social media outlets have a lot to do with it as well.

People love collecting confirmation bias for their conjecture.

I don't know how many time's I've heard people say lately that 13% of the population is black but 27% of police shootings are on black people.

People take this incomplete information and automatically think that cops are going around shooting black people because of "institutionalized racism", their non-analytical friends give them likes/shares/re-tweets and they think that the correlation they have found has the causation that they made out of thin air.

I don't think there is broad sweeping conspiracies to purposefully target black men... But their are loads of semi subconscious racial aspects that influence police shootings.

Poverty viewed as a crime plus most blacks being poor.

Difficulty in making out facial features of dark skin in low light situations. Which the human brain precieves as a threat.

All the issues that come with being a tribal species, we just LOVE to pick sides.

The war on drugs creating a "need" to have a militarized police force...

Exc...

The system is so overburdened with CENTURYS of old laws to the point you CANT not break some law...

So yea I think the fact that your point and theirs is true..

Yes blacks get killed twice as often...

Yes that's only about a third of the people shot by police.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Remember this? They created this racist movement by promoting a LIE.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

It IS a racial issue, Mr Cox.

This is the explosion of the geyser that was to be expected. The media is supposed to not let us know? I didn't know about this stuff at all until this morning, because I don't watch tv....I heard about it only now via FB, and FB is now taking down video shares of the events.......

We know. It's too late, you can't make us "unknow." The world is no longer composed of insular communities, unfortunately.
The media? No. The racism and hatred is to blame.

The media fuels the racial tension and makes it worse, so yes I believe they are to blame in many ways. It's similar to Obama. He pours gasoline on the fire too.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Me back off? Who are you to tell me that? Obama has never backed police officers in any shooting. The media does not report all police shootings and certainly not all of the black on black. Sadly police officers have to shoot people that threaten them or the public. But I have never known one to put their uniform on and say, well I think I will go hunting tonight and shoot another human being. Like it or not, yes politicians have a huge hand in this just like the media.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I do not care what color his skin is. I think we are all supposed to be Americans and pull together. He has stirred up racism at every opportunity. Everything in this world is NOT about the color of someone's skin. But the color of their heart.
My husband is retired police officer after 22 years. Have you ever put on uniform everyday and wondered if you would get home? Also, he served 22 years in the military.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

edit on 7/8/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: yeah never mind. the whole world is insane.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Talk to the goddamned Bible-thumping Congressmen who are blocking mental health care, who are defending negligent gun legislation, who are drooling blithering idiots owned by special interests.

edit on 7/8/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: boogiegk

My husband is retired police officer after 22 years. Have you ever put on uniform everyday and wondered if you would get home? Also, he served 22 years in the military.

My husband served 11 years in the military as a Military Police Sergeant with the Army National Guard. Also, he worked as a police commissioned civilian security guard.

Just saying.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The media most certainly plays a part by promoting these stories and glossing over facts to promote a narrative that black men are being gunned down wantonly by police. Combine this with the black grievance industry promoting black victimization at every turn you get the current situation.

They do indeed.
You are exactly right. For some twisted reason that's what people want to watch, and advertisers want to finance so that they can take advantage of the obvious profits to be made.

That said, I was shocked - truly gobsmacked this morning when I discovered the info about MN. Everything after that, sure, it is just as suspect as the presidential debates and ads.......

But that woman - her boyfriend really was shot. It really is sickening. I don't know why all of this is happening...

but happening it is, and it's my nature and my passion to figure out why, and try to fix it.

I hate things like Nancy Grace and Geraldo and all those salivating rabid fanged humans......
I was sincere when I said I just ........ am speechless.
It's shocking.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i would say 100 percent if they weren't so busy trying to shift eyes off the hillary buy self out a jail fiasco by playing race card you don't here doddly about all the other non african american people who were killed by police this week . so yeah i blame the media for in sighting a riot so to speak.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

How much is the media to blame for Planned Parenthood bombings?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join