It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Paradox of Applying the Typical 2nd Amendment Argument to the Dallas Shootings

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

And apparently you and I are not alone in seeing that this is "different".

A former Illinois GOP Congressman and now talk-show host, Joe Walsh, had tweeted

"This is now war. Watch out Obama. Watch out black lives matter punks. Real America is coming after you." Later it was deleted.

source

People like this Mr. Walsh will attempt to inspire/lead their own uprising, rallying their own troops, to "save America".

I am in tears over what happened, very emotional over this event.
edit on 8-7-2016 by desert because: ETA source

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
There are 300,000,000 people in america and around 1000 are killed by police every year. Most of those are justified but let's include them anyway.
1000 divide by 300 million is .000003%

I know that one wrongful death is to many but I can think of a bunch of ways to die that are more likely to happen than death by cop.

I wish people would use this kind of statistical analysis for things like killings by terrorists...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

what sort of statistical analysis is that? WTF? lol

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
If you legalized all guns in Japan they would be no more prone to breaking the law and violence as if you'd kept them illegal. Japan has the most advanced free market system in the world, excellent education system, and an excellent health care system. They are the most law abiding society in the world.

The Swiss have guns(albeit with tight regulations) and have all the same things Japan does with comparable crime rates let alone violent crime.

They also happen to be (for the most part) incredibly homogeneous societies in terms of racial diversity with natural barriers that make mass immigration difficult.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

what sort of statistical analysis is that? WTF? lol

In a country of 300 million less than 100 people die in the United States every year due to terrorism. If you can write off the 1000 police killings a year as an insignificant issue because of its low percentage of it happening, then the same argument can be made for terrorism. No?

Yo u’re more likely to be fatally crushed by furniture than killed by a terrorist
edit on 8-7-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Well, NO, none of it should be "written-off". People need to be held accountable for killing other people.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Also true.

All the more reason to address the economic realities of violence in our society and why we really do need education, health care, and economic reform so badly. Couple all of those things with criminal justice reform and we might actually poke a real hole in the inflation of violence in certain areas of American society.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

I think you missed my point. Here let's do it this way:

There are 300,000,000 people in america and around 100 are killed by terrorists every year.
100 divide by 300 million is .0000003%

I know that one death is to many but I can think of a bunch of ways to die that are more likely to happen than death by terrorist.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I think so too bc it sounded idiotic to me

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Read the edit.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Also true.

All the more reason to address the economic realities of violence in our society and why we really do need education, health care, and economic reform so badly. Couple all of those things with criminal justice reform and we might actually poke a real hole in the inflation of violence in certain areas of American society.

Sorry, but when I see '### reform' what my brain sees is 'let's meddle with ### some more with regulations, taxes, and the latest theories from so-called intellectuals who can BS really well. Oh and throw more money at it.'
edit on 8-7-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I did, you just reposted an earlier post by someone else.

Are you saying that unjustified police violence is not that big of an issue bc you have more of a chance of being killed by falling furniture?

BC if so...then I get why I thought it was idiotic.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I'm saying that the issue is blown out of proportion. Not sure why you'd think that is idiotic, unless you are just flat out trying to be insulting.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Okay...ummm...but this IS a pretty big deal. 5 innocent cops just got picked off and died yesterday. This is really horrific.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I didn't say that this particular incident wasn't a big deal. I'm saying that the idea of there being an overall problem in the country of police violence (and terrorism as well) is being blown out of proportion (by our media). This incident very well wouldn't have happened if the media didn't try to make EVERY cop killing headline news for 2 - 3 weeks. Yes they are horrible, but so? People get murdered all the time in this country. We don't have every murder in this country make headline news all the time.

I mean don't get me wrong, my heart goes out to those police officers. I feel for them and their families, but statistically, death by police officer (or terrorist) really isn't a threat, yet those two things are what the media likes to pretend are the greatest threats to Americans right now. Hell. If you classify this as a mass shooting, even mass shootings aren't really a huge danger, statistically, to Americans as the media likes to make them out to be.

I know this all sounds callous, but its better than letting the media always tell you what to fear all the time.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

The media doesn't have to tell me a thing to realize that racism is still a major issue today. We just know more of it today bc of the media and new technology.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Whoa now. I wasn't talking about racism. Don't move the goal posts back on me. I made a very specific explanation regarding what I was talking about and at no point did I mention racism or its impact on police shootings. I just said that police shootings and terrorism aren't as big a deal as the media makes them out to be.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

And if they were out to shoot white people will we hear it called terrorism? Unlikely to say the least. Seems more likely than it being to fight tyranny. And any black cops who may get shot, well they are race traitors. That seems to be the prevalent thinking.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

unjustified police shootings, the killing of 5 policemen and racism, all stirred in the same pot buddy.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Look if you want to reword my argument, then I'll just leave the thread. I posted my piece, you asked for clarification and now you are trying to shoehorn things into what I was saying that I never said. I'm not going to waste my time with that nonsense.

Now if you want to ask me how I FEEL about racism and how it may or may not be effecting police shootings, that is a different story. But don't sit there and pretend like the conversation we've been having had anything to do with racism up to this point. I was merely making unemotional observations based on statistical analysis by expanding on someone else' point mentioned on page 1.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join