It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Gene Defect May Link to Parkinsons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Recent international studies into the causes of Parkinson's Disease appear to have turned up a common factor: a gene defect on chromosome 12 controlling the action of the protein dardarin. Dardarin is a newly discovered protein; researches are not yet certain as to its precise function. The tests show that 5% of patients in the study with a family history of Parkinson's show the genetic defect, while 2% of those without a family history have it. Though not thought to be a leading cause of the degenerative disease, the breakthrough may provide hope for some sufferers of Parkinson's.

news.bbc.co.uk
A gene mutation which could be behind one in 25 cases of Parkinson's disease has been discovered by scientists.

It is hoped the findings could lead to the earlier detection of the disease and the development of treatments.

Three separate studies by US, UK and Dutch research teams are published in The Lancet medical journal.

Parkinson's, for which there is no cure, is a degenerative disease in the part of the brain controlling movement and affects 3% of people over 75.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Parkinson's Disease results in a gradual degeneration of motor ability, marked noticibly by physical tremors and shaking. Though it usually affects those of more advanced age, the disease can strike at any time in a person's life.

There is no known cure for Parkinson's, and no definitive cause of the disease. There are treatments available to help calm the tremors and ease a patient's suffering, but the disease always proves fatal eventually.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I think that in the future, many people will decide to have their sperm and eggs merge in a laboratory tube before implanting it in the female womb.

this is already done by some people who carry a fifty-fifty change to pass their genetic disease to their offspring (they scan multiple fertilized eggs, those without the malfunction, the others are dumped, but at such an early stage that one can hardly speak of abortion)

The difference will be that you will go to designer shops in the future where you can buy some nice genetic tweaks....Naturally this brings some ethic discussion, but ultimately I think its best if the free market decides if you want to have a baby the old fashion way, or buy your superintelligent or hyperathletic boy or girl in the store....

Also , while currently you have carriagemothers to bare the fetus for females who can't bare the ffetus themselves (due to damaged womb or something) , I expect in the future that it will become popular for healthy rich careerwimen to use cariagemothers just because they don't want to have stretchmarks in their skin or a break in their career.

Some genetic tweaks I would buy in the Gene Shop:

- the abillity to use phototsynthesis for energy in humans (well i guess that gives us offspring in stylish Shrek-green due to the chlorophyl content in the skin)

- teeth that keep regenerating, just like sharks

- that glow in the dark gene (like those translucent fish), so you look really cool in under blacklight / the discotheque

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
There is no known cure for Parkinson's, and no definitive cause of the disease. There are treatments available to help calm the tremors and ease a patient's suffering, but the disease always proves fatal eventually.

Hopefully a cure may be right around the corner. Just last week a new drug was used for the first time that will turn certain genes off.

The first test trial of the drug is being used on a woman who has macular degeneration. If the trial works several companies have plans to test it on patients with AIDS, hepititas, parkinsons, alzheimers, just to mention a few.

here is a short excerpt;

"Several other small biotechnology companies say they, too, are planning clinical trials in the next couple of years to use RNA interference to treat that disease and others, including AIDS, hepatitas and Parkinson's."

IHT: A drug tries to turn off Bad Genes

While the above has no reference to alzheimers, you will have to take my word for it; I saw live news coverage about the lady who will be the first human test case. You can check the link above for a full discription of the process.

The lady did not even know she had macular degeneration until she took a recent test done by AAA auto club that tests to see if senior citizens have the full ability to drive. Once she found out she had it; she then volunteered to be the first test case.

[edit on 1/18/2005 by shots]

new topics

join