It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are sniper rifles "assault weapons"?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Going after a higher cailber

I think an "assault rifle" has some common elements:
- Magazine fed
- Capable of sustained fire (barrel)
- Selector with semi/auto or burst
- mid caliber - bigger than a handgun/smaller than a traditional rifle

We can quibble. I used an M16 for 3 years that had semi/full auto - it was useless for aimed fire in full auto, so we used them on semi all the time in the 1st Gulf war. So we could have been using civilian AR-15s the whole time. The 3 round burst modification on the 16 and M4 was some improvement. Assault rifles are pretty useless in full auto because of the low weight, unless you want to shoot up a crowd.

Comments?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
do we know what was used ?

I thought it was a reference to the shooters firing from a elevated position

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Nagant - I liked my first one so much I bought 2 more!

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: olbe66

I liked the M60, 3 rounds can be well placed without too much muzzle rise if you hang on ,but the cyclic rate is slow enough to aim with those bursts.
I like a "Battle Rifle" as they are called,mine is a bull pupped m1a1,I have 10 in a vest 30 each( I won't run anyway,crappy lungs)
I wouldn't do this without a Claymore(Ever read Paladin Press?) or 2 to cover my butt on the exfil, I wouldn't ATTACK my own like this but if that was the mission its suppress close and kill...also a squad in support.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7
I wound up carrying a 60 as an enlisted guy and always had one close as an officer. In the open with tracers it is like a long range water hose out to 1000+ yards. In Germany I qualified for the 60 competition team in my battalion, so they even gave me duty time off to practice! What I wouldn't give to fire the pig again. Claymores are fun, but remember, FRONT TOWARD ENEMY! - always got a chuckle out of that.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
dallas mayor said it was an AR-15, and it pierced bullet proof vests

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
Going after a higher cailber

How can anyone assume a .338 Lapua Magnum in bolt action is anything but a small game pee shooter... At least that is my story.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
dallas mayor said it was an AR-15, and it pierced bullet proof vests

CBS said it was an SKS. www.cbsnews.com...

The SKS lacks a detachable magazine and a pistol grip which makes it less menacing than an "assault rifle" in the eyes of those ignorant of firearms. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

It kind of WORRIED me.
WHAT are we INFANTRY?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

AK caliber 1950s Soviet rifle full size that is,not a carbine.
In Vietnam they were used as sniper weapons with great effect,paratroopers version IS capable of using detachable mags.High capacity(2 types).
It can penetrate a vest if the bullets are armor penetration rounds.
Amature's choice ,cheap easy to buy.
Ungainly in small arms CQB.
edit on 8-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Dress the deer KINETICALLY?
THAT would be a trick shot...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Dress the deer KINETICALLY?
THAT would be a trick shot...

If you hit him right you dress and kill all at the same time at 1000 yards...lol

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

As you do... I DON'T LIKE shooting animals, it hurts my feels a tad.
WAY harder than people.
edit on 9-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

As you do... I DON'T LIKE shooting animals, it hurts my feels a tad.
WAY harder than people.

I don't really shoot animals, just people too .....way better on my conscious...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

AK caliber 1950s Soviet rifle full size that is,not a carbine.
In Vietnam they were used as sniper weapons with great effect,paratroopers version IS capable of using detachable mags.High capacity(2 types).
It can penetrate a vest if the bullets are armor penetration rounds.
Amature's choice ,cheap easy to buy.
Ungainly in small arms CQB.

The Soviets called it a carbine because of the intermediate cartridge. From Wikipedia: "The SKS is a Soviet semi-automatic carbine chambered for the 7.62×39mm round, designed in 1943 by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov. Its complete designation, SKS-45, is an initialism for Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova, 1945 (Russian: Самозарядный карабин системы Симонова, 1945; Self-loading Carbine of (the) Simonov system, 1945)."
Norinco made the SKS-M with a 30-round AK-47 magazine for import as a sporting rifle but those conversions are less reliable than the original action with the attached magazine.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I have a Yugo that refutes that.
The mag is an SKS type detachable and runs fine ,I stuck it in a CBRPS bullpup stock so now IT IS good for CQB and feild work.
I'd say it's fine with me to about 500yds.I can't complain I just haven't spent the money to shake it down.
Just mag checks for function,accurracy and I got rid of he grenade launcher and put an FN FAL long flash hider on it since the threads are the same.
It's a fun Frankengun.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

You can't burst fire a high caliber sniper rifle.

Is a hunting rifle an assault rifle? No.
edit on 9-7-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I have a Yugo that refutes that.
The mag is an SKS type detachable and runs fine ,I stuck it in a CBRPS bullpup stock so now IT IS good for CQB and feild work.
I'd say it's fine with me to about 500yds.I can't complain I just haven't spent the money to shake it down.
Just mag checks for function,accurracy and I got rid of he grenade launcher and put an FN FAL long flash hider on it since the threads are the same.
It's a fun Frankengun.

Good to know.
Based on what I have read, the Dallas shooter was using a stock SKS. It doesn't have a pistol grip and doesn't look evil, so those frightened by the AR/AK will have to dredge up past events to condemn them.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Now they are going after "sniper rifles" and ammunition.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join