It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science test

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
1. What is the closest star to the Earth?
The sun.
2. What is plasma?
One of the four states of matter.
3. What is a tokamak?
A fusion reactor.
4. What is the rest mass of a photon?
Zero.
6. Define the following:
Coordinate system: A system for assigning a tuple of scalars to each point in an n-dimensional space.

Kinematics: The branch of physics dealing with the motion of objects without being concerned about what or how the source that started the movement is and/or was.

A line (in geometry): The amount of space traveled between two afore distinguished points, that travels in a straight path.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Reply to Agnis,
1. Sun
2. Superheated gas
3. no clue
4. very, very, very small - almost nothing
5. an object's relative movement state stays constant if not acted on by other forces
6. Coordinate system - a standardized system for describing the placement of points [& objects made of points] in some N-dimensional space.
Kinematics - isn't that something to do with movies?
a line - an infinite set of contiguous points that extends infinitely in both directions in exactly one dimension

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Coordinate system - scalars?
What about a polar coordinate system?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well I've come up with 20 new qeustions, I'll post them now, but pleas refrain from answering them until Agnis has posted the answers to the qeustions he posted.
That said here they are:

1. What happens when two black holes collide.
2. What is the schrodingers cat theory.
3. A blackhole eventualy dies, true or false.
4. Name both kind of Novas, i.e. star explosions.
5. What is in the center of our galaxy.
6. Name the four states of matter.
7. What is the way in which plants produce energy called.
8. What is the speed of light in MPH.
9. To create a worm-hole you need what kind of matter.
10. In string theory what are the two kinds of strings.
11. Which of the following elements are syntheticly prepared:
Rhenium, Technetium, Cerium, Samurium, Europium, Promethium, Neptunium.
12. Which are not real elements:
Osmium, Iridium, Vanadium, Marsium, Thalium, Polonium, Tellurium, Kizrium, Francium, Lekium, Lanthanum.
13.Name the metaloids on the periodic table.
14. Is gallium a Liqiud, Solid or Metalloid.
15. Energy and matter are equal, true or false.
16. What is the closest astronomical body to Earth.
17. How many AU is Earth from the sun.
18. Quantum physics says what about Precognition.
19. What is element number twenty-two.
20. Define the following:
Anti-matter
ZeroPointEnergy
Cryptozoology

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
1. The Sun, second closest is Proxima Centauri.
2. I would say, an ionized gas. However in medicine it is the liquid part of a blood.
3. Doughnut-shaped fusion reactor.
4. Zero, however the answer that they never rest is also true.
5. Newton's first law states that "An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force."
Inertia is an object’s resistance to the changes in its velocity.
a) A way of describing the object’s position in the space.
b) The branch of physics dealing with the motion of objects without being concerned about what or how the source that started the movement is and/or was. (Sorry, iori_komei, I wouldn't have said it better)
c) I would say, a set of points with common geometric properties.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
"If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullsh*t"
here i go again

1. A big ugly nasty black hole
2. A box with a cat and a poison gas capsule where the cat is neither alive nor dead until you look in the box.
3. Don't know. Maybe with big enough ones they tear the fabric of space, if not the natural tension of space may over long enough time flatten them back out.
4. Nova, Super Nova, Hyper Nova, and OMG NOVA . . . ! (4 was a joke)
5. A big ugly nasty black hole
6. Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, . . . . oops wrong states. Solid, liquid, gas, plasma
7. the Photosynthetic process
8. 186000 * 3600sec/hour = 669,600,000 MPH , roughly 2/3 of a billion miles per hour
9. very dense matter
10. circular (free floating gravitons), U-shaped (all others have each end pasted to Universe Brane
11. Just guessing i would say all of them
12. Marsium, Kizrium, Lekium?
13. A valence hint perhaps? Does it mean all the metals?
14. Deductive reasoning? temperature determines liquid or solid, so it must be a metaloid
15. No not equal, but the do have relationship to one another E=MC^2, but not E=M
16. Earth's moon
17. one
18. In any absolute form it is impossible
19. its directly below silicon on the chart.
20. Anti-matter - inverse form of matter, when it and regular matter touch they explode into pure energy.
Zero Point Energy - I think this is theoretical. Has to do with the spin-foam and drawing matter from it or other Universes
Cryptozoology - The collection of all the Bozons, Mesons, Quarks and numerous subatomic particles revealed by atom smashers.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Here are the answers.

1. They merge to form an even larger blackhole.
2. That if you put a cat in a box and add a radioisotope, with out observing, than the cat is dead and alive at the same time, until you look and see that its dead.
3. Over billions of years a blackhole will lose its energy and disapate.
4. Super Nova and Hyper Nova.
5. At least three massive blackholes and a few smaller ones.
6. Solids, Liqiuds, Gases, Plasmas
7. Photosynthesis.
8. Six-hundred and seventy MilesPerHour.
9. To create a Worm-hole you require "Exotic" matter.
10. Open spaghetti like, and closed ring like.
11. Technetium, Promethium, Neptunium.
12. Kizrium, Marsium, Lekium.
13. Boron, Silicon, Arsenic, Tellurium, Astatine.
14. Gallium is a liqiud metal.
15. If you turn a block of steel into energy, the energy will be equal to when it was a solid object.
16. The Moon.
17. Earth is 1Au from Earth.
18. That is possible and at the same time impossible.
19. Element number twenty-two is Titanium.
Anti-matter: The exact polar opposite of normal matter.
ZeroPointEnergy: The energy that exists at absolute zero.
CryptoZoology: The study of uknown creatures that is not known if it exists or not, Sasquatch is an example of a cryptozoological animal.

Everyone can submit a test if they want.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'm working on a new test, I should have it up by tuesday.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
1. What is the fastest way between two points?
Well The shortest distance is always going to be a straight line. On the surface of the Earth, the shortest distance is an arc with the center of the radius at the center of the Earth. This is called a "great Circle Route" because on a typical mat, it looks like a curve instead of a straight line. This is because a map is a two dimensional representation of a three dimensional surface.

2. What is the smallest theoretical thing in which everything is made of?

3. Name five sub-atomic particles?
Quarks, Gluons, Meons,

4. How many spatial and temporal dimensions do we exist in in?
nine
5. How many spatial dimensions do we percieve?
three
6. How many spatial dimensions are there?
six?
7. In theory how many temporal dimensions are there?
Uh, three?
8. Define the following:
Quantum physics.

a definition of physics based on probability functions
Temporal mechanics.
You got me.
Entanglement.
What I am into now

Not bad. I knew most of this stuff at one time.

How about another one?

What is the Dasien of the electron?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I've been wondering how much all the people pn ATS (atleast the ones that visit this section) know about science, so I came up with a semi-difficult test, Just put the number of the qeustion than the answer.

(HINT: There are two answers)

Well, based on our technology today, the fastest way between two points is a straight line where you blow all the red lights and do about 120. The other option is to simply close the space between the two points and make them the same, thereby making the movement instantanious. But we don't have the tech to do that yet.

Ooo, good question! I was thinking maybe photon or quark, but figured I should check it out on the web, because I know there's smaller theoretical particles, just can't remember what they're called. Oh, I guess quarks are pretty much the smallest things beyond the string theory. Rock, rock on?

lol this one's easy. We have our neutrons, protons, quarks, electrons and photons.

4. lol good call on the number of the question! However, it's been theorized that the universe is actually 8 dimensions. It's the theory of octinions (sp). I don't have a website because I don't feel like looking something up I already know about, but look up octinions, let google correct your spelling, or rather mine.

Well, technically 4. However, we can manipulate only 3 of those and travel on a linear path through the fourth.

It depends on your definition of space. Personally, I think of time as one of those, though general perception says there are only 3 spatial dimensions.

1. The fourth dimension is time. Temporal, by definition, is "of or relating to time as opposed to eternity". So there is one.

8. Define the following:
Quantum physics.

This is my favorite branch of physics. I actually convinced a friend of mine to change his major and major in quantum mechanics at Cal Tech. With, of course, a promise to share all his notes and everything to me so I could have a Cal Tech education without the piece of paper or cost. Anyway, quantum physics is the study of the smallest particles and how they interact with one another. Quantum computing is really interesting, since it moves away from the digital concept of on or off and moves to the statistical probibilty concept of, 70% of the time the particle will be spinning this way, 30% this way, and if you measure it, you change the results. My favorite joke of all time on a main stream television show was on Futurama. They're wathcing a horse race which ends in a "quantum finish." The professor lost, and exclaims, "No fair! You changed the result by measuring it!" I must have laughed for about 10 minutes after hearing that one...But I can't share it with most people where they appreciate it. Hopefully, this thread will appreaciate that joke
)

Temporal mechanics.

I'm actually not to well versed in this aspect of physics, but discecting in, I assume it's the study of time and it's mechinisms. How time behaves in different situations, though I could be very wrong.

Entanglement.

This relates back to string theory and previous experiments in teleportation. This theory states that particles feet, miles, or lightyears appart are directly connected, and if you influnce one particle, you inadvertantly effect the other particle. This also is in line with the butterfly effect, where a butterfly in Shanghi flaps it's wings and there's a huricane in Florida.

I'll post the answers to the qeustions on 1.20.05

Dang...Now I look like a poser. I hadn't gotten this far in reading before I got really exicted to answer. I guess it'll appear as though I read the post on the 20th and answered based on that. Oh well, it's all good, I had fun answering these questions and don't really care about outside perception, so it's all good

Great thread!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

1. Make a slightly bigger black hole, a mjority of the matter would be flicked off at the speed of light(or close to it) and there would be a whole lot of gamma rays.

2.Its a thought experiment describing the fact that god does play dice with the universe, and that a particle is in a superposition of states until measured.

3.True, time is not infinite, and if hawking radiation is correct then more so true.

4.Supernovas, Hypernovas.

5.A supermassive blackhole most likely.

6.Gas,Liquid,Solid,Plasma, and the 2 condensates.

7.Photosynthesis?

8.186,000 mph?

9.UMMMMMMM, is it called ghost radiation or sumthing????

10. Circle ones and long ones :p

11. no idea :s

12.Kizrium, Marsium, and Lekium?

13. o god.. carbon? silicon? and the other one they used to use in computers?

14. Solid

15. True in regards to energy. Not in properties of momentum and others..

16. The sun. 1 AU?

17. 1

18. WTF is that? let me guess.. cnciousness affecting the outcome of a particle path??

19. I forgot

20.Anti matter- same as normal matter except with opposite quantum intergral spins or sumthing, and opposite charge.

ZPE- The quantum fluctuations in space caused by the uncertaincy in wat the average matter density is or sumthing.

Crypto-wat? wtf is that

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Sorry to anyone whom was looking forward to a new test, my computer is F'ed up, and I cant get to the document I wrote it on to post, in fact the only thing I can do is use the internet, so when my computers fixed I'll post a new one.
If any one else wants to post one, please feel free.

I appreciate your patience.

May enlightenment and peace be yours.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Ok, I know I said I'd post a new test over two months ago, well there was some technical difficulty in that, but I've finally got a new test ready for every one. So here it is:

1.) What is the equation of photosynthesis.
2.) Name five components of an animal cell.
3.) Name the planets within the solar system that do not have natural satelites.
4.) A DNA molecule consists of two strands of ______, twisted together to form a double-helix.
5.) Name two types of proteins, (Based on size and shape).
6.) Name three parts of a plant, (i.e. stem).
7.) State the full biological classification of humans, (i.e. Kingdom, phylum, Class etc.).
8.) Name, in order the biological classification series, (i.e. kingdom, phylum.).
9.)What two languages are used in the scientific naming of species.
10.) Define the following:
-Phylogeny
-Taxonomy
-Isotope
-Sublimation
-Osmosis

The end date to submit answers is March, 27the, 2005.
Anyone is free to answer.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Well, I expected some one to answer, since the previous tests were relatively quickly responded to, I'll leave this test open for people to answer.
Again, if anyone would like to answer, please do fel free to do so, even if your unsure, even if you answer incorrectly, you will learn the correct answer.

Die dulci freure
Iori

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I've been wondering how much all the people pn ATS (atleast the ones that visit this section) know about science, so I came up with a semi-difficult test, Just put the number of the qeustion than the answer.

straight line, or, if you can bend the fabric of space/time, a wormhole.

(HINT: There are two answers)

Yee...I should know this, but I'm drawing a blank. As a result, I'll answer not what it's made of but how it behaves: a wave.

Good thing this isn't a grammer test, that's not a question
Neutron, proton, quark, photon, electron

8? (See Scientific America, June 2004 for scientific backing to this figure. It's not proven, but has a very solid foundation)

We can manipulate 3, we percieve 4, though the fourth is a linear one way street. Blast, misread it, but I won't delete my first answer. Spatial dimensions, we live in 3.

Again, 3, up, down, left, right, forward, backward.

1, Mr 4th, time.

8. Define the following:
Quantum physics.

My favorite branch, that which addresses sub atomic particles.

Temporal mechanics.

How matter behaves in time. Physical interactions as they relate to the fourth dimension.

Entanglement.

String theory, why one sub-atomic particle interacts with another no matter the distance between the two. Very rudimentary explanation, the reality is...just a little more in depth.

I'll post the answers to the qeustions on 1.20.05

Crap, it's well after that date, and here I am, posting after reading the subject of a thread posted at least 3 months ago. Ahh well, you posted the answers the day before my birthday. Neat!

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Ok, I know I said I'd post a new test over two months ago, well there was some technical difficulty in that, but I've finally got a new test ready for every one. So here it is:

1.) What is the equation of photosynthesis.
I have no frickin' clue. er... light + chemical reaction = energy?
2.) Name five components of an animal cell.
You're going all biology, and that's my weakest science avenue...But I'll try...don't laugh....too hard. Nucleus, mitocondrea(sp), cell membraine, cytoplasm, and...and...oy...uh...uh...lysosome?

3.) Name the planets within the solar system that do not have natural satelites.
Whew, less biology and more astrophysics/astronomy. Now I feel better. Mercury and Venus. At one point, Pluto was one, but "planet X' turned out to be a moon.

4.) A DNA molecule consists of two strands of ______, twisted together to form a double-helix.
RNA

5.) Name two types of proteins, (Based on size and shape).
...dang, can't.
6.) Name three parts of a plant, (i.e. stem). seed, leaf, root
7.) State the full biological classification of humans, (i.e. Kingdom, phylum, Class etc.). Can't do it without looking it up.
8.) Name, in order the biological classification series, (i.e. kingdom, phylum.).dang...again, see #7...

9.)What two languages are used in the scientific naming of species.
Latin and English Proper Noun

10.) Define the following:
-Phylogeny
Your what hurts?

-Taxonomy
stuffin' something. Oh, wait, that's taxidermy. Taxonomy is classification, isn't it?

-Isotope
...Aite, I just had some dental work done and am on Hydrocodine...I know this one, just can't think of it...Dang...Isn't an isotope some kind of modified something? Dang, talk about a brain fart...

-Sublimation
...Dang, two in a row. I know it, just can't get my synapses to fire in the right order to draw that out of my memory....
-Osmosis Diffusion with water. Ahh, now I don't feel completely stupid, maybe hitting a 40 or 42 on the IQ scale...

The end date to submit answers is March, 27the, 2005.
Anyone is free to answer.

Dang it, I missed this one, too...But I didn't see the answers after reading my last post on this thread.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Name 7 (seven) ways to get to first base without being accredited with a "hit"...good luck

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I decided to keep the last test open, I'll post answers on April 3rd.

[edit on 3/30/2005 by iori_komei]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I've dedcided to keep this test open until April 10th.

Post answers if you want, if you have a suggestion for a test, U2U me.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

6. Name the four states of matter.

there are five states if matter i believe, Bose-Einstein Condensates

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join