It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science test

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I've been wondering how much all the people pn ATS (atleast the ones that visit this section) know about science, so I came up with a semi-difficult test, Just put the number of the qeustion than the answer.

1. What is the fastest way between two points?
(HINT: There are two answers)
2. What is the smallest theoretical thing in which everything is made of?
3. Name five sub-atomic particles?
4. How many spatial and temporal dimensions do we exist in in?
5. How many spatial dimensions do we percieve?
6. How many spatial dimensions are there?
7. In theory how many temporal dimensions are there?
8. Define the following:
Quantum physics.
Temporal mechanics.
Entanglement.

I'll post the answers to the qeustions on 1.20.05

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
1. Backwards
2.quark
3.proton, electron, neutron, quark, anti-quark
6.According to String Theory, 11 or 14 (can't remember
)

couldn't resist, probably got them all wrong
*rushes to physics, theoretical websites to deny ignorance*

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Here's my best guesses:

1. A straight line
2. a string
3. proton, neutron, electron, antiproton, positron
4. 4
5. 3
6. 10
7. 1
8. QT: The theory of the small, based on probabilities rather than certainty
Entanglement: two particles get entangled such that if a property of one is changed, a change occurs in an other immediately (i.e. faster than the speed of light)

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I've been wondering how much all the people pn ATS (atleast the ones that visit this section) know about science, so I came up with a semi-difficult test, Just put the number of the qeustion than the answer.

Wormhole?

Actually according to Euclidean geometry two points define a line.

Probably strings, but there is no proof that they exist; hence my answer is quarks and leptons.

Electron, Proton, Neutron, Up-quark, Down-Quark, Photon, Gluon, W and Z bosons etc.

3+1=4 according to relativity, not sure about M-theory, as far as I remember, about 11 was the answer.

noone knows for sure

One

8. Define the following:
Quantum physics.

Experimentally proven theory that describes subatomic world.

Temporal mechanics.

Sci-fi?

Entanglement.

It happens when two particles interact. Result of this interaction is that both have two spins until somebody decides to measure them.
If there will ever be quantum computers, they will use quantum entanglement to transfer information, because as soon as one particle gets its own spin, the other gets opposite spin.

I'll post the answers to the qeustions on 1.20.05

Looking forward to it.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Agnis]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
1. A straight line in the opposite direction.
2. Electron, Proton, Neutron, Anti-proton, Anti-electron
3. 4, but these can theoretically be elaborated into more.
4. 3, see above.
5. See 3. But still theoretical
6. 1, maybe more!
7. 34?
8.1 Experimentally proven theory that describes subatomic world.
8.2 The effect of the energy state of a given mass upon the surrounding space-time.
8.3 The effect where a particle is thought to exist at 2 points in space-time.

[edit on 18/1/2005 by AnnoDomini2]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
In euclidian geometry, a straight line. Or you could bend space time to make point A the same as point B.
I guess they still might say atoms, but really quarks are the smallest
boson, hadron, quark, proton, electron, photon, neutron
supposedly 4, 3 spatial and 1 time
nobody knows, string theory says there's 11
1 - time?
8. Define the following:
Quantum physics - The branch of physics dealing with with the wierd workings of the world on a microscopic/subatomic scale...things get really wierd
Temporal mechanics - Deals with time?
Entanglement - When two quantum particles share the same state, so that even when they are separated by some distance, a change in the state of one is reflected in the other

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I love science! Here we go:

1. A straight line segment (to be technical)
2. Quarks
3. Electrons, protons, neutrons, photons, pions
4. Five
5. Three
6. Three
7. Two
8. Quantum physics — the physical study of atomic and sub-atomic particles.
Temporal mechanics — study of spiritual and material relations.
Entanglement — when an object is immobile due to a length of rope, string, or cord accidentally wrapped around the object.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
1. Fastest? Entanglement, I believe it is considered to be instantaneous. FTL.
. . . . Second Fastest [In this Universe] light.
2. Currently strings are the smallest parts of a complete theoretical system.
3. Neutrons, Protons, Electrons, Mesons, Quarks, Alpha particles.
4. One temporal dimension, 11? 20? infinite [my theory] spatial dimensions.
5. 3
6. Some string theories REQUIRE that there be 5, 11 or 20. I personally think those numbers are arbitrary and ultimately we may find an infinite number of dimensions.
7. I believe all current theories require only one dimesion of time, but again I bet there are many possibilities. I have wondered if a Universe can have two or more time vectors. Circular time.
8. Quantum physics - physics of the very small, where cause and effect are not deterministic/predictable , but instead probabalistic.
Temporal mechanics - Isn't this the realm of Dr. Who? translation, time mechanics. I don't think currently much can be done along these lines.
Entanglement - two photons [electrons?] are entangled with correspondingly opposite spins/quantum-state. They are specificallly entangled with one another. So you can separate them by a theoretically infinite distance and yet when you change the state of one of them its complemetary twin will change at the same instant. This gives a potential FTL communication method.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hmmm...
basing these answers on modern theory. If I have a personal opinion that varies, it is noted.

1. Entanglement sounds good, but I'm going with
a. straight line
b. light

2. A string? "Thing" seems vague. Quark?

3. Everyone's named a ton of stuff, I'll go with naming all the quarks: top, bottom, up, down, strange, charmed. But don't forget bosons, mesons, leptons, and theoretically, tachyons, gravitons, etc... and there's an anti for everything.

4. Well, that's all theoretical, but I'll answer 4. Personally, I think it's only 3 - I think time is not a dimension at all. I may change my mind after reading these posts though...

5. 3.

6. String theory says 11. I don't buy it - yet...

7. Once again I say either 0 or 2, depending on your view. Actually don't know if there are more theoretically.

8. a. The theory of the ultramicroscopic - the subatomic particulate world.
b. Noticing a gap in my knowledge here! The theory of time?
c. Entanglement - the observation that a seperated particle pair can seemingly instantly affect each other no matter the physical distance between them. My opinion - this is where interstellar travel will become possible - it will be rooted in entanglement.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I probably wont be able to post the answers on the 20th, so I'll post them now:

A. Straight line.
B. Warping space-time, so that point A and point B, merge to become one.

2. Strings.

3. Well you've all named a total of more than five, these were the ones I chose, Photons, Electrons, Positrons, Neutrons, Leptons, Quarks.

4. As of current theory we exist in 3 spatialdimensions, and 1 temporal dimension, (I believe something different.).

5. We percieve three spatial dimensions.

6. There are thirteen dimensions believed to exist in todays theorys, there is not a thirteenth dimension, there are the dimensions 1-12 and than you skip to the 26th dimension.

7. In theory there are two temporal dimensions.

A. QuantumPhysics: The study of the sub-atomic realm.
B. TemporalMechanics: The study of the mechanics of time I.E. how it works.
C. Entanglement: If one particle spins up the other will spin down, (sorry, I had a better answer, but I cant find the paper I wrote it on.)

I'm pleasently surprised at the level of knowledge displayed here.

I will be adding more qeustions once I have them, if you would like to put qeustions, please do, the point of this thread is to test everyones knowledge.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
1. Fold space so that the two points connect. Instantanious.

The rest I have no clue...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Very well, I’ll use the chance and ask some questions. I’ll post the answers on 21.01.2005.

1. What is the closest star to the Earth?
2. What is plasma?
3. What is a tokamak?
4. What is the rest mass of a photon?
5. What is inertia?
6. Define the following:
Coordinate system
Kinematics
A line (in geometry)

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
i'll give it a go

1. the sun
2. energitic neutral particals? (i should know this)
3. a type of fusion reactor
4. ?
5. momentum (bad spelling as well)
6. pass to all at this stage

not very good, but still learning

keep the questions coming

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   

2. Strings.

3. Well you've all named a total of more than five, these were the ones I chose, Photons, Electrons, Positrons, Neutrons, Leptons, Quarks.

4. As of current theory we exist in 3 spatialdimensions, and 1 temporal dimension, (I believe something different.).

5. We percieve three spatial dimensions.

6. There are thirteen dimensions believed to exist in todays theorys, there is not a thirteenth dimension, there are the dimensions 1-12 and than you skip to the 26th dimension.

7. In theory there are two temporal dimensions.

A. QuantumPhysics: The study of the sub-atomic realm.
B. TemporalMechanics: The study of the mechanics of time I.E. how it works.
C. Entanglement: If one particle spins up the other will spin down, (sorry, I had a better answer, but I cant find the paper I wrote it on.)

I'm pleasently surprised at the level of knowledge displayed here.

I will be adding more qeustions once I have them, if you would like to put qeustions, please do, the point of this thread is to test everyones knowledge.

#2 is wrong. There does not exist any physical proof that strings exist, yet. I believe they do, but until there is some hard evidence, it is nothing more than a theory, period. In all actuality, I believe a Lepton is the smallest particle, because it is theorized to have zero mass (or nearly zero). An electron is a lepton, which does has mass, but so is a photon (light particle). Photons have zero mass, which makes them infinitely small, as far as mass is concerned. The smallest particle is probably a neutrino (as far as recorded mass).

This survey seems far too theoretical. If you are going to give a quiz, you might want to stick to some hard facts. (not a flame, but a strong suggestion)

Also, if you want to get picky, there are no temporal dimensions because it is merely 4th dimensional spatial movement, which we call "time." Yes, yes, then that makes it a temporal dimension, but really the problem is that we only perceive part of the fourth dimension (instead of the whole thing). Many scientists want to get rid of the notion of a temporal dimension being separate, altogether.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Protector]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   

1. What is the closest star to the Earth?
2. What is plasma?
3. What is a tokamak?
4. What is the rest mass of a photon?
5. What is inertia?
6. Define the following:
Coordinate system
Kinematics
A line (in geometry)

1) Sun, second Alpha Centauri
2) Dual definiton: A state of matter beyond a gas, usually created at ultra high temperatures (many millions of degrees), characterised by its highly charged particles and eerie glow. Second, it can be a low temperature charged particle "soup", but does not have the same fusion properties inherant in the first definition.
3) Never heard of it.
4) They don't rest. You can't be a force carrier particle if you have no motion. They have stopped light in a lab, but they actually confined it to a small space, where the wavelength's forward motion was cancelled.
5) Not sure about a good formal definiton. Perhaps, the continual movement of mass, not at rest, whereby no sufficient force/friction has been applied to stop its momentum.
6) a) A 2+ dimensional system, whereby the origin or a fixed point is located/set and all other points are proportionally oriented to that fixed point, as it would exist in real space.
b) The study of kinetic movement/momentum?
c) A finite length of one dimension, created by the integral of points from the starting point to the finish point. (it is an axiom)

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Protector]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Here is Question 2:

The answer should be strings, it's not asking what the smallest particle observed is...

Anyway the only thing that everything is made of could be strings, even gravity is made of strings according to string theory.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I missed the "theoretical" part. Sorry.

But in that case, phillosophers have "theorized" that nothingness creates all things. In that case, I believe nothingness would be smaller than strings.

To be more plain, a point, zero-dimensional, has no defining characteristics, other than self-existence, and location (in some cases). Thus, a point is far smaller than a string.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
1. The Sun
2. The liquid part of the blood
3. Absolutely everything
4. One
5. The tendancy of an object to resist acceleration and decceleration.
6. The first two I have absolutely no idea.

A line - an infinately long mark that is perfectly straight

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
1) a straight line
2) quarks
3) electron, proton, neutron, photons, positrons
4) 4 (questionable to be almost an infinite amount)
5) 3
6) 4 (again same as answer to question 4)
7) in theory i would have to say an infinite amount
8) can't be bothered to define those...would take me time to write those out

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
1. Straight Line & a Curved line it really depends on the Topography.

2. It depends on who you ask. I like to believe that the smallest form of matter is tiny Vibrating Strings which everything is made up of. Different Particles will have the same string underneath the hood but it will virbrate differently.

3. Photon, Electron, Quark, Moun, Gloun(sp?)

4. We "percieve" space to be 4-dimensional, allthough there are theories that say our universe could compose anywhere between 6-24 dimensions.

5. See answer #4

6. 3 in theory. There may be more out there that we havn't detected yet.

7. None, the 4th dimension is the Fabric most commonly refered to as Space/Time so I guess the real answer would be a half a dimension

8. Quantum Mechanics is the study of sub-atomic particles/waveforms

Temporal Mechanics as a set of theories/rules do not currently exist except in Sci/fi.... I will not go there....

I can't really esplain Entanglement as I do not fully understand it, I don't believe ANYONE fully understands it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join