It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Changes in Ramadi Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Since the onslaught of insurgency within the Ramadi and Fallujah areas in April 2004, Ramadi has made changes for the better. Since the 2nd Brigade Combat Team took over operations four months ago, life in Ramadi has gotten much better. When the 2nd BCT arrived, there was no welcome mat and pockets of insurgents were tipped off when the presence of MNF were in the area. Now, the community of Ramadi provides intel to the 2nd BCT and MNF and it is reportedly reliable. That isnt the only thing that changed in Ramadi, however; the community itself is starting back in the right direction towards progression now that the insurgency is losing ground there.

www.estripes.com
Four months ago, when the 2nd Brigade Combat Team arrived in Ramadi, the local population certainly did not roll out the welcome mat. But in the intervening months, as the brigade adjusted its operations and sought more interaction, the relationship has gotten decidedly better.

"Four months ago, we were doing 'movement to contact' patrols every day. We were an obtrusive presence," Col. Gary S. Patton, brigade commander, said Saturday. "Now, we've established a security base in the city, and we're doing more precision raids. We're getting good intel from the local population. When we first got here, that wasn't happening."

The brigade, which includes 3,500 soldiers, has completed $1.5 million worth of civil projects during that time and helped create 800 new jobs, officials said. Universities and schools opened on time this fall, and city officials are returning to their jobs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Finally, something worth reporting about; too bad this isnt really seen on CNN or Fox. Its nice to hear there are good things happening over there, instead of devastation and destruction, and that a community is tired of fighting this and wants normalcy.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Great news

Well done for reporting this, don't expect too many anwsers thou, not many people around here are fond of good news from Iraq....

The population in this area seems to have been intimidated at first by our presence, perhaps they though we would do the same thing that happened during the Gulf War when we left them to their fate with Saddam, and were not expecting us to finally clean up what those loyal to Saddam and other insurgents are doing.

Anyways, you got my Way Above vote for this.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Thanks. By the way how do you get that way above vote thing on the mini pro?

Got my answer on that way above thing.

[edit on 18/1/05 by mscbkc070904]

[edit on 18/1/05 by mscbkc070904]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Well Muaddib your probably right, no one will really respond to this, but it was good news to report period.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
It's great that they're making progress but it sounds like they still have quite a way to go:

The peak of the attacks happened during Ramadan and included 18 suicide car bomb attacks, said Maj. Steve Alexander, brigade operations officer.

“That was the defining event so far,” he said. “That was when we saw a serious spike in violence.”

Since then, things quieted a little, he said. But as the elections draw closer, the brigade is seeing the action pick up again. Patrols have come under fire nearly every day, mortars have been shot at bases and a crowd of children threw rocks at one unit last week.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The Dutch patrol in a less turbulent part of iraq , but we have a most interesting (dare I say Clintonian methode) to keep the peace:

The genietroops have projects work together, hands on , in the field, with the locals to build bridges across rivers and repair infrastructure in a united effort.

When patrols spot a young kid with a gun, they don't just intimidate him and grab his gun, but rather trade it with him for a official soccer football with the autograph of one of our famous dutch soccerplayers, works very well.

Being tradepeople historically,Instead of forcing peace with a huge gun, we try to establish mutual interests. Also we have a good deal of arab speaking immigrants in our army, that now proof very usefull in breaking the ice with the locals and keeping good communication.

Like i said we are less high-profile targets than the americans/british due to their political leaders, but I think our method is fitting to keep it that way.

thus far, we have lost one soldier to an attack and there were no kidnap attemps, I say that's a pretty good record.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Countermeasures, that is awesome. I do know we try to rade but so much animosity is thrown our way to. And in some areas the US/Brits work in, some peopel abuse the privilege of trade as well. We try to compensate when , but the methods you use are better, but of course your guys may be in more a less hostile area. Nonetheless, the threat is still there and establishing a impact on the community is needed in order to progress and succeed in the overall mission.

Right now, just with all the insurgency and false propaganda being slammed in the Iraqi peoples faces and I will some stupidity among individuals within the armed forces are countering what is trying to be acheieved and shown. That MNF is there to help the people, make a difference, establish relations, make an impression. Its hard but we do what we have to.

I thought about this, like so in many other countries in past wars/conflicts, I believe one day when this is all said and done and things are peaceful there for the long haul that a wall will be placed there, remembering all those names that fought and died trying to make a difference there, everyone, all MNF forces, Iraqi guardsmen, policemen, politicians, civilian contractors.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It doesn't seem like things have changed too much in Ramadi:

Insurgent attack sparks Ramadi fighting
Clashes have broken out in three areas of the western Iraqi city of Ramadi after insurgents fired rocket-propelled grenades at a US patrol.

US forces backed by at least 10 armoured vehicles are reinforcing positions as helicopter gunships and warplanes fly over the eastern part of the city, an area that has witnessed frequent fighting.

There is no immediate word on casualties but witnesses say the guerrillas have destroyed a US Humvee and civilians have been caught up in the fighting.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I was watching and interview on Monday from some professionals that had fled Iraq since the invasion, most of them in the education and professional class.

They were explaining how their type of social group has been targeted by the insurgency and the shortage of " the profecional class" that has cause problems.

One of the things the insurgency wants to target is the social structure in Iraq, the "educated people" that are the ones with the vision for the future and the ones that will take care of making the country better.

In other words without teacher will be no schools, and without doctors hospitals, without lawyers will be not upholding of the law and etc.

The interview make a good point as how the insurgency may move in the coming months and start changing strategic to keep Iraq unsuccessful in restoring a stable society as they target what is called the middle class.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well like any country thriving to succeed, there will be things like this happening, similar things happened in Kosovo and Bosnia. In time, when things settle, Iraq will begin again and push forward. What has been seen, unlike many other occurences in the past is the refugees fleeing to other borders to escape. That should tell you something there, that they have been thru this many times before. I do remember a few times talking with the Iraqis directly, they said they were use to attacks, long before US ever came, that it was a daily thing, areas getting hit, raids on the homes and so forth. What caught me by surprise was that we never really heard about that, but of course we really werent ever inside Iraq on the ground during those years. Not to mention Saddam never really wanted the world to know about his reign there and Iraq knew nothing about the outside world except for what Saddam allowed them to see, that the world was against Iraq.

One of the major things in Iraq was, after arriving there shortly after the war, was how far behind that country was compared to the rest of the world. In all, from some of those who knew what it was like outside Iraq prior to 1990, Saddam opressed those from learning and educating in fear that the people would rise up against him, in other words he controlled them thru TV, false propaganda, and many other various techniques. But with the insurgency as is, its like they dont want the country to accel at all. While it is still in turmoil and in an infancy stage of progressing, they want a foothold to take over and build the country to their liking, but falsing use the religion as a means to justify what they are doing.

top topics

join