It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Juno Jupiter mission thread. Get any new info and images here.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
And here it is, ladies and gentlemen... The Great Red Spot:

www.planetary.org...

a reply to: wildespace

Sweet!!!

A bit sooner than expected but no complaints from me!!

The second one is all kinds of crazy cool!

edit on 12-7-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: need this photo on this page!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Jupiter's Great Red Spot from Juno (detail)
Credit: NASA / SwRI / MSSS / Gerald Eichstädt / Seán Doran

Source: Planetary Society (planetary.org) - Jupiter's Great Red Spot from Juno.

I converted the JPEG file down to a GIF so it would upload. I just like the detail (see link for jpeg image). This is the "second image" I was talking about in previous post.

When NASA combines the other photos with the ground observations and/or does an animation I will... explode?!

Juno's next close fly-by is September 1. I bet more photos will role in as this is just one of the cameras' data.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
When NASA combines the other photos with the ground observations and/or does an animation I will... explode?!

Prepare to explode...

Animation from a previous "perijove" www.youtube.com...

BTW, there are some more amazing images from this latest perijove:

By Sean Doran

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
It might be easier to see what's going on inside the Great Red Spot in the B&W versions of the images:

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Great pictures!!

Maybe it is me but it looks like the red spot is trying to form one of those hexagonal features like what is on the pole of Saturn.

Maybe I just need more coffee...
edit on 13-7-2017 by Terminal1 because: Typo

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1
Great pictures!!

Maybe it is me but it looks like the red spot is trying to form one of those hexagonal features like what is on the pole of Saturn.

Maybe I just need more coffee...

Not seeing a hexagon there personally but then I'm far from being an expert.
. Having said that, there's no reason I know of (someone please correct me) that one might not form. According to Wikipedia, Saturns hexagon is clouds. Jup's red zit is... Clouds in a storm isn't it?

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I'm late to this thread. Fantastic images! Keep 'em coming!

S&F

edit on 1372017 by MrCrow because: Typing on a phone sucks

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

I see one but it is deformed, elongated horizontally and none of the sides are perfect. I wish I was adept at editing and posting pics. I am no expert either but it seemed pronounced to me but that is when my mind doesn't flip the picture into another thing I see. An eye lol.

These pics are amazing. Put the highly processed one on my tablet wallpaper already.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

** POOF **

LOL!

The one I'm waiting for is the newest photos and data with the last land based observations. When those are combined you will get a broad spectrum view in high detail which should be truly amazing!

Sean Doran is d@mn cool! Must be fun to have access to NASA/JPL data and then be able to process it as a citizen scientist! You get to see everything first!

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   
A new edit on the GRS image, again from sean Doran:

Best one so far.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

How can that person take credit for these images if he didnt take them ?
have they just stitched them together and hence their idea to credit themselves ?

just wanted to know

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

NASA/JPL shares the raw data with interested parties (so called, "citizen scientists"). They then take the data and process it using a mutually agreed upon method. They get to tag their name on the end of the credits like "NASA/SwRI/MSSS/Gerald Eichstädt/Seán Doran" that. You can also go to their website and get photos direct from them. There are a few, very well known, individuals doing this so it is understood where the data is coming from.

NASA is waiting until all the data is gathered from all instruments and is downloaded before they process it into a photo. The photos above are just from the camera (usually "false color" is added to make them awesome!). Still pretty d@mn neat to see from such a close viewpoint!

Hope that helps answer your question. I just learned all this just recently myself so I understand the confusion.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: sapien82

NASA/JPL shares the raw data with interested parties (so called, "citizen scientists"). They then take the data and process it using a mutually agreed upon method. They get to tag their name on the end of the credits like "NASA/SwRI/MSSS/Gerald Eichstädt/Seán Doran" that. You can also go to their website and get photos direct from them. There are a few, very well known, individuals doing this so it is understood where the data is coming from.

Actually, NASA's data from most space missions is simply shared on public archives (such as the Planetray Data System, and anyone interested can simply download the data and work with it to create these beautiful colour images, panoramas, etc. There's no mutually agreed upon method. The data is in public domain, and they only ask you to include NASA/JPL/some other institutions along with your own name in the credits.

I worked with Cassini images a lot myself, and one of my images got very popular:

science.nasa.gov...
apod.nasa.gov...

JunoCam's image data is a lot trickier to process, so I haven't tried doing that yet.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Get ready to explode some more: www.youtube.com...

The movie shows a 25-fold time-lapsed flight of NASA's Juno spacecraft over Jupiter's Great Red Spot on 11 July 2017. It is reconstruced from the four raw Perijove-07 JunoCam images #059, #060, #061, and #062, together with spacecraft navigation data.
The movie covers 18 real-time minutes.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Always knew you were awesome!!

I will try to get my gray matter back together!!

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
If you were aliens in another system and used large gas giants gravity as a means to travel. What would it look like at those planets?

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
If you were aliens in another system and used large gas giants gravity as a means to travel. What would it look like at those planets?

Quite similar, I'd guess. Probably not as close as Juno gets to Jupiter, though.

Our own spacecraft used the "gravitational slingshot" many times.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Spectacular new image from Juno Perijove 17, processed by Sean Doran and Gerald Eichstädt:

(rotated to better fit ATS post)

Full version: www.flickr.com...

One of Jupiter's spots in motion:

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join