It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Juno Jupiter mission thread. Get any new info and images here.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

that can not be from the sun?

Jupiter has an enormous magnetic field that traps particle radiation from the Sun.

and they say in the first vid that they use titanium to shiled from it.
I did not think titanium could shiled from radiation?

Anything with mass can be a radiation shield. Even butter, though you would need more of it than you would titanium.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Planetary Science has GOT to be the best job in the world.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
You could also trap particles with a magnetic field.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: wildespace
Looks like oil on canvas

Perhaps, but it's a picture painted by nature and physics.

What, in your opinion, a real photo of Jupiter should look like?

Crying "fake!" at anything is easy; specifying why it looks fake, and specifying what the real deal should look like, is the hard part.

Silly as it is (I'm being polite), I can see why some might be disappointed and/or scream fake. It just looks a bit blurry and washed out. Which begs the question, if nasa were indeed faking these images...why would they release such a "bad" one. Makes no sense.

Either way ..I think the image is very atmospheric and beautiful and at an angle we very rarely see.

More to come soon I hope.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
As always, the industrious folk at the Unmanned Spaceflight Forum are working with the raw image data released by the mission to create some nice pictures:

The "Marble Movie" is a bit more complete now: www.youtube.com...

NASA update with new images: www.nasa.gov...

Turns out, Jupiter is a lot bluer at the poles, same as with Saturn. It's all that hydrogen we're seeing.
edit on 2-9-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Not sure where to post Juno's images anymore, as there are several threads going around about that topic. But I think I'll stick with this one.

Some new images from amateurs that worked with JunoCam data:

Processing: Roman Tkachenko

Jupiter's south pole:

Processing: Elisabetta Bonora & Marco Faccin / some additional colour balancing by me

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Gosh. Those swirling patterns are absolitely stunning

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Slightly off topic, very slightly

Nasa actually allow any of they images taken from space (other than the ones featuring people ) to be used freely by the public, even commercially. Which is damn generous of them.

Very very generous of them IMO

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
A highly-processed image posted at www.unmannedspaceflight.com... yesterday:

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm gobsmacked by the cloud detail. Everywhere you look, you just see depth to the detail.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
These images definitely show us a side of Jupiter we have never seen before

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hey, I'm all for dropping this thread If there is another one. You are doing most of the posting wildspace, I'll let you decide where to post from now on. But as I said, happy to move to the other threads

Thanks for the images mate

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Juno was scheduled to fire its engines on Oct. 19 and reduce its orbit to every 14 days. Because of a problem with the engine valves, the Juno team has delayed that engine firing until the issue can be diagnosed. Juno is still able to complete its science mission if it stays in the 53-day orbit.

Space.com, Oct. 20, 2016 - Jupiter's Stripes Go Deep, and Other Surprises from Juno Probe.

NASA’s Juno spacecraft entered safe mode Tuesday, Oct. 18 at about 10:47 p.m. PDT (Oct. 19 at 1:47 a.m. EDT). Early indications are a software performance monitor induced a reboot of the spacecraft’s onboard computer. The spacecraft acted as expected during the transition into safe mode, restarted successfully and is healthy. High-rate data has been restored, and the spacecraft is conducting flight software diagnostics. All instruments are off, and the planned science data collection for today’s close flyby of Jupiter (perijove 2), did not occur.

NASA.gov, Juno, Oct. 19, 2016 - Juno Spacecraft in Safe Mode for Latest Jupiter Flyby.

While investigating the valve issue (its motion was slow) there was another glitch that caused the probe to go into safe mode then reboot right when it was supposed to be having another close encounter with Jupiter (i.e., no photos). Huh.

The space.com article has some really cool photos from the microwave imager showing (in composite) a few hundred miles of cloud layer!

So, co-winky-dink or does that monolith really not like its picture being taken?!

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
NASA's Juno Mission Exits Safe Mode, Performs Trim Maneuver: www.nasa.gov...

NASA’s Juno spacecraft at Jupiter has left safe mode and has successfully completed a minor burn of its thruster engines in preparation for its next close flyby of Jupiter.

Mission controllers commanded Juno to exit safe mode Monday, Oct. 24, with confirmation of safe mode exit received on the ground at 10:05 a.m. PDT (1:05 p.m. EDT). The spacecraft entered safe mode on Oct. 18 when a software performance monitor induced a reboot of the spacecraft's onboard computer. The team is still investigating the cause of the reboot and assessing two main engine check valves.

"Juno exited safe mode as expected, is healthy and is responding to all our commands,” said Rick Nybakken, Juno project manager from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. "We anticipate we will be turning on the instruments in early November to get ready for our December flyby."

Was sad to see that there was no science or images from the previous flyby, but things are looking up for the next one, on Dec 11th.

Meanwhile, amateur space enthusiasts continue to create cool images and movies out of JunoCam's data:
apod.nasa.gov...
junocam.pictures...

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

When NASA sent a series of commands to the Juno spacecraft’s main engine last October, the spacecraft did not respond properly: two helium check valves that play an important role in its firing opened sluggishly. Those commands had been sent in preparation for a burn of the spacecraft’s Leros 1b engine, which would have brought Juno… into a significantly shorter orbital period around the gas giant.

Due to concerns about the engine, NASA held off on a “period reduction maneuver” that would shorten Juno’s orbital period from 53.4 to 14 days. When the next chance to do so came in December, again NASA held off. Now the space agency has made it official—Juno will remain in a longer, looping orbit around Jupiter for the extent of its lifetime observing the gas giant.

Ars Technica, Feb. 23, 2017 - Due to concerns about engine, Juno to remain in elongated Jupiter orbit.

The article explains that NASA tried to put a positive spin on these events by stating they can study the magnetosphere longer. But it is a bummer for those wishing for even more close-ups of the gas giant.

It is still working so I guess we have to live with what we got! And if the craft is as over-engineered as the Mars rovers, then maybe it will live past its projected end date! Maybe they will still crash it into the planet! Until then, I will sit back and enjoy the photos.
edit on 23-2-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar issues

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

An unmanned NASA spacecraft [Juno] is about to fly over a massive storm raging on Jupiter, in a long-awaited a journey that could shed new light on the forces driving the planet's Great Red Spot.

The flyby of the Juno spacecraft, surveilling the 10,000-mile-wide (16,000-kilometer-wide) storm, is scheduled for 9:55 pm Monday (0155 GMT Tuesday). [Monday, 6:55 PM PST]

"Jupiter's mysterious Great Red Spot is probably the best-known feature of Jupiter," said Scott Bolton, principal investigator of Juno from the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio.

phys.org - NASA spacecraft to fly over Jupiter's Great Red Spot.

This is happening tonight! In less than four hours!!

I hope the photos are awesome! There are instruments that can see through part of the atmosphere that will also be pointed towards the Red Spot. In other words they will see down into it!

This is one of the those moments!! I will remember where I was when human kind sent a space craft to view a centuries old storm in detail we've never seen before!

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Juno's images of the Great Red Spot are expected in the JunoCam Image Processing gallery by July 14th – be sure to check back then!

www.missionjuno.swri.edu, news, July 10, 2017 - Real time simulation as Juno passes in front of Jupiter's Great Red spot (LIVE).

I hope it is a "Fantastic Friday" when those photos come out!!

Oh, they also have a real-time flyby simulation up at the link.

... SQUEE!!...

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Can't wait for those Great Red Spot images! They're gonna be amazing.

Meanwhile, let's not forget the equally amazing images created and processed by amateurs recently:

Author: Sean Doran

Those swirls and colours are stunning, but my favourite part are those little white clouds poking above the rest of the atmosphere.
edit on 11-7-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
And here it is, ladies and gentlemen... The Great Red Spot:

www.planetary.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Beautiful!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join