It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Freudian Slips Really Reveal About Your Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Since psychology is science, and since there are experiments and studies mentioned in the article, I felt it appropriate to post this here.

-> A R T I C L E

Basically, although it is safe to say that much of what Sigmund Freud theorized is probably the paranoid product of his penchant for coc aine, not all of it lacks wisdom. In fact, a fair bit of what he suggested as being true is turning out to be just that. Freudian slips are a pretty common happening that I'm sure we've all experienced at some points in life. Whenever it has happened to me, I'm not sure if it really was what was on my mind--but rather it was what was on part of my mind. I do not believe that they reveal actual desires, but rather actual thoughts that we have from time to time. One does not have to agree with one's own thoughts on all occasions, in my case, I find it rather productive to question myself.

To the best of my understanding, transient thoughts are separate from deeper-held values and ideals.

However, I do appreciate these findings and I'm not surprised that he was proven at least somewhat correct about the subconscious. Freud was undoubtedly brilliant, regardless of if you agree with him or not.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I think Freud wanted to have sex with his Mum and was projecting.

I prefer Jung

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Agreed. I just saw a funny comic on the matter, but it probably wouldn't be allowed if I posted it here. I prefer Jung as well.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Freud’s association with psychology has negatively influenced the public’s understanding of the field. Contrary to what many think, psychology encompasses more than just Freudian psychoanalysis. “Freud’s work is an extremely small part of the varied set of issues, data, and theories that are the concern of modern psychologists.” (Hale, 2010)

Freud’s methods of investigation are not representative of the methods used by modern day psychologists. Referring to Freud’s methods leads to a serious misperception of psychological research.

Freud did not conduct controlled experimentation, which is the most powerful tool in the modern psychologist’s arsenal of methods. Freud assumed that case studies could establish whether theories are true or false. However, this idea is incorrect. (Hale, 2010)

psychcentral.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I have a question. Scientologists hate psychiatry, right? Is psychoanalysis very different from auditing?

While Freud did get much wrong, the concept of the subconscious and its influence is, I think a strong basis on which to develop a science of human behavior.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I have a question. Scientologists hate psychiatry, right? Is psychoanalysis very different from auditing?

While Freud did get much wrong, the concept of the subconscious and its influence is, I think a strong basis on which to develop a science of human behavior.

Am I repeating myself? Am I repeating myself?
edit on 7/8/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

A problem with Sigmund Freud's efforts in developing a Personality Theory. Is the idea that the Conscious and Unconscious mind should be addressed as separate.
edit on 8-7-2016 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

lol that's a great point. I don't know much about what auditing is, but from what I do know, it sounds like a form of brainwashing. Psychoanalysis seeks to help people better-understand themselves in order to self-actualize whereas Scientology appears to do the opposite in favor of adopting the mindset of the 'church'.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
i dont agree. you say transient thoughts are separate from deeper held values and ideals? the subconscious controls everything. the things you focus on, pick up, habits, beliefs, what think about, random thoughts that come into your mind. its all the subconscious and you are consciously trying to resist any thought that you "think" is not a part of your own (sub)consciousness

when you go to sleep. your conscious resistance barrier is lowered right. why do you believe that all the crazy images you see are real and true?

why do maybe some of your darker or more negative thoughts you have tried to force out of your mind arise? just like a freudian slip you now accept these to be valid thoughts not just a "transient" thought from nowhere

the subconscious brings many things to light in many different instances!

top topics

join