It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Auzzies and Kiwis: Sisal Rugs Big There Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm finishing up the backroom (sunroom) (Florida room - he heh...new term for a sunroom)...mine is a "Cuban Room" (my Cuban bff helped with all the heavy stuff.).....

Was going to remove all the old black mastic by any means possible, but then learned that it's an absolute nightmare and mess - I've done with nightmare messes - 10 months and $10,000 in now with home improvement/maintenance issues. So - the room is a 50s concrete slab with a slick finish (indoor room quality). It had asbestos tiles which were removed and sticky vinyl tiles laid over the black mastic.

Anyway - I've given up on the idea of refinishing the concrete to look like marble - too much trouble and too many chemicals and toxic disposal stuff - and want some sisal or jute or wool rug type stuff.

All of the sites I find are Australian...what is up with that? I mean, I'm all in with the natural fiber stuff, with eco-friendly stuff - upcycled, recycled, formed out of otherwise land-fill destined materials.......

Sea grass, sisal, jute, other stuff - and the quality sites are all down undah. What's that about?
Can you recommend a vendor to me? (Dead center of USA. Kansas City. But we have an airport and everything, and trains, and phones and a few cabs, and a new railcar that goes about half a mile on the old reclaimed track.)

Anyway, just wondering.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Perhaps an imported Humboldt Hemp rug might provide a certain ambiance and entertainment....

Some years ago, I did concrete floors as you mentioned, in Anchorage Alaska. The chemicals are minimal, and the process done in less than two days to finished product, including polish to a wax shine. Very beautiful for just concrete.
edit on 6-7-2016 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Yeah? You did that with 50 year old concrete that had black mastic on it? I would love to learn how to do that. That's really what I wanted...but was going to settle for painted floor cloths or simple natural canvas or sisal or jute or upcycled waste materials in the meanwhile.

I don't want to do more vinyl tile or linoleum, ever, and seeing as 'finished concrete' is all the rage now ------
I looked into it. Hours of research made it seem too messy and complicated for me to be willing to deal with.....

Bean-e-doo (stupidest name ever LOL now aka UnoClean), Oil-Flo, or harsh acids and chemicals - all have turned my objective off the rails. I tried baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and vinegar ---- it does just as well. Been experimenting with little patches here and there.

Want to avoid fumes and harsh chemicals but willing to do the labor myself to the best of my ability and strength...

edit on 7/6/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Oh and yes of course hemp....sorry didn't mention that earlier. So many natural fibers: cotton, linen, wool, sisal, hemp, jute, seagrass, reeds, canes, ---- and all sorts of "left-over" stuff too - I really like the rugs made out of recycled plastic and the trimmings from flip-flop factories...
NOT because I'm fond of plastic - but INSTEAD because I hate plastic islands in the ocean!!

I tried to make a circular rag rug a few years ago with some old sheets I deliberately shredded, and it turned out circular, but also cylindrical and far too narrow. It worked as a skirt, but I decided not to wear it (lol!) and gave it to my cat instead. It is buried with his resting bones now....

anyway - I'm all about "use what we have; reclaim, repurpose, renovate, refresh, repair.....use up what we have now before we go pumping out more materials and goods.....

One of my passions.
Salvaged vintage materials are precious. Modern subdivisions with 300,000 homes are made with cheap materials, cheap labor, using short-cuts and beige paints. No matter how much you nag "the developer", you're still going to get lower-quality framing and surfaces and plumbing and roofing and walls than the houses built before WW2.

They're a bitch to take care of, but they're not going anywhere, either.
Cheers, mate.
edit on 7/6/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
Here's a flooring idea that doesn't use toxic chemicals, well except for polyurethane. All you need is Elmer's white glue and brown paper.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I know it's not what you're talking about but it's something else to consider if you come up dry on your search.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Thank you!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
You're welcome. That paper thing actually goes back to the great depression, probably longer.

top topics

join