It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Chinese FC-31/J-31 Stealth Fighter Prototype Spotted?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

A series of images have emerged on Chinese online forums that show a possible Shenyang Aircraft Corporation (SAC) airframe that may be the prototype of the FC-31, a more refined version of the company's J-31 fifth-generation multirole fighter.

Posted on 3 July the images, which show a partially dismantled airframe wrapped in fabric being transported on a lorry, are reminiscent of the June 2012 transport of a similar looking airframe, which later emerged as being the prototype of J-31 twin-engine fighter.

Other images shared on the Chinese micro-blogging site Weibo on 4 July reportedly show the second airframe being returned to SAC after static testing at another location. It is unclear when the images were taken but they reveal an airframe in which wings and an empennage similar to those of the J-31 are discernible.

However, the forward fuselage structure in the latest imagery is less apparent than in that of June 2012. On both occasions a Mercedes-Benz flatbed trailer is seen carrying the airframes tilted at an angle for better road clearance.

www.janes.com...

So!

It appears that Shenyang is moving forward still. I had the impression they were stalled out based on the lack of orders and not nearly as many flying prototypes. I had started to think of the FC-31/J-31 as the F-20 equivalent: nifty plane that went nowhere fast. However, perhaps I am wrong. I have been before and I will be again.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It cant be too stealthy if it was spotted.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
.......and then it was gone.

Stick to DVD players.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

They have to move forward to show its capabilities. That's the only way they'll get customers. So they'll probably build one or two more and test them to the point they could enter service to cut down on the lag time potential customers would face.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Looks pretty good but they will have to do many more test flights or go back to the drawing board.

Think they had trouble during a stationary engine test and it failed to provide thrust to a certain point.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Agreed.

I suspect there are some major fixes in there as well: there were reports of issues when banking with the first prototype, frex.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Who built the engines?

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Either Russian RD-93s or Chinese WS-13As.

Not really clear which.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Rumors are the new J-31 is larger than the original prototype.

new topics

top topics

join