It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

61 year old Canadian man beats up Black Bear

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
They breed em tough in Ontario and 61 year old Rick Nelson is the toughest of them all.
Rick was out walking his dog on Sunday afternoon when he stumbled upon a bear cub , Rick new the mother wouldn't be far behind and he was right...

"I sat down on a log and the bear cub poked its head out of the shrub nearby. It was so close I could touch it. It let out a yelp, because I scared the heck out of it," Nelson told CBC News. "I knew right away I was in trouble," he said. "It's calling for mommy." Nelson is a former bear hunter, so he stood up knowing he only had seconds to spare. "The mother was coming full speed," he said. "All you could hear was the bush crashing."

"I had no rocks, no sticks," he said, but he did have a lot of boxing practice.
Nelson tried to swing at the bear but missed, hitting it in the teeth. The bear hit back, scratching Nelson across the chest and face.

"I knew it would swing first with its left but it would really come with its right, because most bears are right-handed," Nelson said.
So Nelson swung a second time.
"I had the perfect shot to take. I did an underhand and hit it right in the snout."
That's when the bear's cub let out another squeal and started to move away, Nelson said.

"Now it was the moment of truth. What's this bear going to do? Is it going to follow its cub or is it going to come after me?"
"[The mother bear] turned around and it was snorting blood. It looked at me, and I thought, 'Oh no. Here it comes,'" he said.
"But it just turned back around and walked away like nothing ever happened and followed the cub," Nelson said. "So I really lucked out there."
www.cbc.ca...

Man and nature in perfect harmony , Rick sure done taught that bear some respect.

edit on 6-7-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
insane, boxing with bears... should get good ratings haha

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Damn.

That takes some big brass nuts, and a talent for punching stuff in the face!

Congrats, random Canadian bloke!

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The best part:
"I knew it would swing first with its left but it would really come with its right, because most bears are right-handed,"

That made me so laugh when i read this earlier today in a german news paper!

What did we learn?
Never try to fight a canadian grandpa!

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I lived in Southeast Alaska for 6 years. They always say don't play dead with a black bear.. in most cases they'll run because they aren't at the top of the food chain like brown bears.. Usually what people say is punch them in the nose... This guy has probably heard the same advice..

Black bears Fichte back as much as you can and they may not maul you to death.. Brown bears play dead because they probably don't want to eat you and know that you can't hurt them..

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
They breed em tough in Ontario and 61 year old Rick Nelson is the toughest of them all.
Rick was out walking his dog on Sunday afternoon when he stumbled upon a bear cub , Rick new the mother wouldn't be far behind and he was right...

"I sat down on a log and the bear cub poked its head out of the shrub nearby. It was so close I could touch it. It let out a yelp, because I scared the heck out of it," Nelson told CBC News. "I knew right away I was in trouble," he said. "It's calling for mommy." Nelson is a former bear hunter, so he stood up knowing he only had seconds to spare. "The mother was coming full speed," he said. "All you could hear was the bush crashing."

"I had no rocks, no sticks," he said, but he did have a lot of boxing practice.
Nelson tried to swing at the bear but missed, hitting it in the teeth. The bear hit back, scratching Nelson across the chest and face.

"I knew it would swing first with its left but it would really come with its right, because most bears are right-handed," Nelson said.
So Nelson swung a second time.
"I had the perfect shot to take. I did an underhand and hit it right in the snout."
That's when the bear's cub let out another squeal and started to move away, Nelson said.

"Now it was the moment of truth. What's this bear going to do? Is it going to follow its cub or is it going to come after me?"
"[The mother bear] turned around and it was snorting blood. It looked at me, and I thought, 'Oh no. Here it comes,'" he said.
"But it just turned back around and walked away like nothing ever happened and followed the cub," Nelson said. "So I really lucked out there."
www.cbc.ca...

Man and nature in perfect harmony , Rick sure done taught that bear some respect.

"I'm a bad sum'b$&%#, I'm so bad that if you see me fightin' a bear, you better jump in and help the Bear"!
I've always said that if a Bear mauls me it will be the last time it will Maul any thing because I'm sticking my thumbs right through it's eye balls" . . . . . . Good post!

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Watch this and tell me you wouldn't be freaked

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Oh my.. I'd be so freaked I'd be screaming my lungs out at that bear!

I think when the bear was jumping up and down the trees, he was sharpening his claws...

soulwaxer

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
The bear behaives like people have been feeding it so it has no fear of people and wants food from people

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Quauhtli

I lived in Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia (about 90km from the start of the Alaska highway) and I agree. We chased black bear when they came into town lol. NEVER would have done that with a brown bear.

Edit: They had to shoot a brown bear that had somehow got into my best friends living room one morning. The sliding glass door somehow got closed and trapped it inside and they had to shoot it through the glass.
edit on 6-7-2016 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-7-2016 by Autorico because: added stuffs

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

You dont have to outrun the bear, just whoever you are with

I backpack along the Pacific Crest trail, and ALWAYS legally carry a side arm. Now you see why. I have never had to shoot at a bear, One warning round in the air and they always run off.Especially if its the big gun ( S & W 500. 50 mag) The 50 is a 5 shooter, and will blow any bears head right off. Never shoot a bear in the head with anything else, as it will just bounce off.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The Men here are pretty damn tough, especially the ones up mountain.

Lots of bears around too, one cannot be too cautious.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Damn.

That takes some big brass nuts, and a talent for punching stuff in the face!

Congrats, random Canadian bloke!

Yeah! Well said! Congrats, random Canadian bloke!

new topics

top topics

join