It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacteria ‘gardeners’ farm algae to harvest when food runs out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
New Scientist
1 July 2016
By Andy Coghlan

Bacteria ‘gardeners’ farm algae to harvest when food runs out

. . .
“They’re key players in global nutrient recycling,” says Eva Sonnenschein of the Technical University of Denmark in Lyngby, who reported her team’s latest results last month at the annual meeting of the American Society for Microbiology in Boston. On average Roseobacter account for 3 per cent of bacterial diversity globally, and as much as 20 per cent in places.
Sonnenschein’s work builds on a 2011 discovery by Mohammad Seyedsayamdost, now at Princeton University. He found that in times of plenty, the algae produce nutrients that help Roseobacter microbes thrive. In return, the bacteria make antibiotics which serve as pesticides, protecting the algae from rival bacterial strains.
. . .
By comparing their genomes with those of the strains that did not, the researchers could home in on genes likely to be responsible for their production. They found that the microbes that make TDA aren’t always also able to produce the compounds that kill algae. Indeed, they identified 41 gene clusters that are unique in those bacteria that can make roseobacticides.
. . .

Sounds great, to me.
More power to them.
Food is going to become extremely scarce BY DESIGN of the ruthless genocidal oligarchy.
I hope they goof up and allow this guy to expand his thing massively.
I wonder about the taste.
I've been reluctant to buy Japanese seaweed since Fukushima. Does anyone know of any made from the Atlantic?

join