It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago shootings: More than 60 shot during holiday weekend

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Bring up the Chicago violence subject, and people shrug their shoulders and say, "Yep..it's terrible. Did the CUBS win last night??".

Yep. If it happened in a country club there would be widespread panic. No pun intended.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: angeldoll

And how are you going to seize all their guns?

Most of them are illegal, meaning you wouldn't know where to begin looking for them. The only guns you would have a clue where to find them are the ones owned by legal owners (of which there are few in Chicago), and they usually aren't going to be the 15 and 16 year olds shooting each other on weekends.

Wouldn't begin to know where to look for them? Surely you jest.
edit on 7/5/2016 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the US. Clearly that's not working. Maybe if the IL government removed state corruption so that our ridiculously high taxes actually benefitted the people, instead of going to no bid contracts for stuff we don't need, people would have a higher safety net and wouldn't resort to crime to make a living. Maybe if the inner city had better schools so that teachers wouldn't have to strike to get desks and books, kids would grow up educated and be able to get jobs (did you know in Illinois, if the teacher's union strikes, it's required by law to ask for higher wages during the strike? Learned that during the last teachers strike, the teachers actually said "the pay raise demand is required by law, don't give us that. Give us books and desks"). Maybe if there WERE enough jobs for all the people that want and need them, people would be less inclined to kill each other for the "right" to conduct illegal business on this or that street corner.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: xuenchen

Well, if there were less guns, less people woiuld be shot. You can't empty the city of people, who are aparently shooting. You have to remove the guns.

The issue isn't people being shot, the issue is people being killed and wounded. Even if you could somehow hermetically seal Chicago off from the rest of the country, they would just start stabbing each other to death.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

The reason nobody cares about these shootings and deaths in Chicago is because all of what the rest of the world sees with this violence is concentrated in 5 small neighborhoods, there are 3 million people in Chicago city limits and 9 million in the greater Chicago area what we refer to as the tristate area. There is a number of reason here that nobody cares. These are gangbanging drug dealers that nobody cares about anyway. It is virtually all black on black crime. The 5 neighborhoods where this happens are a lot smaller than you think, other than the gangs, people here in Chicago are more concerned about protecting their family's and loved ones and we don't care about any of these thugs. Some of us are desperately fighting to get away from this corrupt city, but it's hard for and honest descent person to get ahead in this city. There is so much corruption that there is no fixing it. Being honest from a citizens point of view, we wouldn't care or complain if the military were to go into these neighborhoods and remove this cancer with toe tags.
edit on Wed20167V201624431 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Let's be plain.

Most of the shootings that take place in Chicago are gang-related violence meaning the guns are in the possession of gangs (i.e. African-American and Hispanic gang-bangers in the hood). They are not legally purchased or owned. Sure, you technically know where they are, but the only way to actually attempt to confiscate them would be to go door to door, house to house, den to den performing basically illegal search and seizure in order to try to confiscate them all.

You think BLM has major chip on their soldier now about police treatment of African-Americans? Wait until you try to disarm the hood.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

Just so. It's basically like this in most major cities with a crimr/murder problem. I live in one too.

You do care, but you also know those problems are confined to certain, narrow neighborhoods that most of the decent people did everything they could to leave long ago. Your heart bleeds for the kids trapped down there, but you can't fix the adults, many of whom made their situations.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That is pretty accurate I'm almost at the point where I can change things in my life but it still seems so far away

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: stonerwilliam
a reply to: Jaxsmash

Time for some tough love in Chicago to combat the violence going on , Put the national guard in on street corners and drud test for benefits and gun buy backs

I support buy backs and support from the National Guard. Drug tests are really far afield from this.

Drugs are NOT far afield from the shootings issue. Law enforcement records clearly show that as much as 80% of ALL gun violence is drug related. IE: Drug dealers shooting someone for selling on their corner. Trying to take over an area for dealing. Robbing someone trying to buy drugs, and so on. They also show that about 95% of the people murdered are killed by someone they know. That includes the drug related murders. People will shoot and kill a friend to take their drugs to sell, or money to buy. Bottom line is simple, IF you want to stop the shootings STOP BUYING DRUGS !!! I don't care if all you do is smoke a little pot at night, or take EX. on the weekend at the club, or you're a hard core meth head. If you buy, sell, transport, cook, grow or use drugs of any kind at any time, in any way YOU ARE A MURDERER!!!!! You may not pull the trigger but you dam sure loaded the gun. What it comes down to is how YOU raise your kids. How many people use drugs? Figure it out there are about 7.5 billion people on earth, and about 400 billion dollars worth of drugs sold per year, with about $100 billion of that in the US alone, MOST of that going to the so called blue bloods and high income people. You do the math.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This comment on the article:

In 1993 Californians became fed up with unrestrained violence, and pushed their legislature to enact California’s “three strikes” law which permanently incarcerated repeat offenders with a focus on the violent ones. Then in 1996, they enacted 10-20-Life, also known as the “use a gun and you’re done” law. A point in time when thugs started going to jail for life; removing them from the streets, taking them away from the ATM you visit and ridding many inner cities of very violent influences. This is evidently unimportant to the culturally sensitive. So is the truth. Gun violence is not a problem without solutions. We now know what works.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

It's going a bit far to call them murderers...Unless they killed someone they aren't murderers. This seems to be a bit an emotional topic for you based on some of your language. I may be wrong though.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt
a reply to: syrinx high priest

The reason nobody cares about these shootings and deaths in Chicago is because all of what the rest of the world sees with this violence is concentrated in 5 small neighborhoods, there are 3 million people in Chicago city limits and 9 million in the greater Chicago area what we refer to as the tristate area. There is a number of reason here that nobody cares. These are gangbanging drug dealers that nobody cares about anyway. It is virtually all black on black crime. The 5 neighborhoods where this happens are a lot smaller than you think, other than the gangs, people here in Chicago are more concerned about protecting their family's and loved ones and we don't care about any of these thugs. Some of us are desperately fighting to get away from this corrupt city, but it's hard for and honest descent person to get ahead in this city. There is so much corruption that there is no fixing it. Being honest from a citizens point of view, we wouldn't care or complain if the military were to go into these neighborhoods and remove this cancer with toe tags.

Who do you think those drug dealing gang bangers are selling their drugs to, each other ? HARDLY... They are coming to your hood and selling them to YOUR kids, and if you think YOUR kids don't do things like that then you're a fool. If you turn a blind eye to the truth about drug use then you can bet those dealers will target your kids at some point. If you want to protect your kids from this you MUST take an ACTIVE roll in their life. You can't just tell them drugs are bad and then walk away and hope they make the right choice, because they are surrounded buy people every day telling them "Just try it"

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Why does it seem that the cities with the harshest guns laws
have the worst gun violence?

Could there be a correlation?

Hmmmm....

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I don't have kids yet and I would do those things, however living my entire life in Chicago, I have witnessed to much of this stuff and like the rest of this city I don't care about these thugs I avoid those parts of the city like the plague.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

It's going a bit far to call them murderers...Unless they killed someone they aren't murderers. This seems to be a bit an emotional topic for you based on some of your language. I may be wrong though.

No sorry to say you're not wrong. This is a VERY emotional topic for me. I lost 3 family members to drugs in the last 10 years. All of them were raised in good homes with both parents and the whole nine. 1 of them was my brother who got hooked while in the Navy.

I also don't think it going too far to call addicts murderers because without the people buying drugs you would not have people selling them or killing others because of them. People are not being shot and killed BECAUSE of guns. The gun is just a tool used by drug dealers to protect their profits. Have you seen what's going on in Mexico, entire towns are being shot up by drug cartels to keep control of traffic lanes into the US for their drugs. To me it's simple, if this person kills that person to sell drugs to a third person, then that third person is just as much to blame. I spent 8 years in the Coast Guard, on the front lines, and have seen first hand the kind of damage being done to this country. So YES it's very personal for me.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The third person would be entirely unaware of the situation. I think we as a people would have to consider everything we buy because then we are the promoters of war, slavery and poor wages/working conditions. Sorry to hear about your family. Wish I was wrong about this being an emotional/personal topic for you, but emotions are no good for arguments. They aren't logical. I understand what you're saying of course, but I disagree.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt

I don't have kids yet and I would do those things, however living my entire life in Chicago, I have witnessed to much of this stuff and like the rest of this city I don't care about these thugs I avoid those parts of the city like the plague.

I try to avoid them as well the trouble is they do not try to avoid you. Just in the past year alone I have had people stop me in parking lots asking if I wanted to buy some kind of drug about 5 or 6 times, and I do live on the right side of the tracks (so to speak). I own my home and have lived here for 26 years now, and I take care to watch what is going on in my streets. If I see something going on I don't just shake my head and keep walking, I pick up the phone and call the cops.

I once thought that who cares if a gang banger kills another. The cops should spend their time on other things. Then one day it came to me. If 1 gang banger kills another and the cops find that shooter and put them in prison then that's 2 scum bags off the street. LOL

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I call the cops to, I'm not at all concerned about being "cool" . It's just that my empathy for these gangbangers is at 0 , not to say that my empathy for everyone is like that, just for that particular lifestyle

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

Agreed and I concern myself with things I buy that support criminal behavior, unfortunately some of the things that are necessary for us to buy to protect our homes and families do, as well support evil as well as good.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If you make guns (except for shotguns) accessible only to the military and to law enforcement, OVER TIME, gun-related violence will decline.

Does anyone disagree with that?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join