It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best .txt editor for working on big drafts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I need something better than Notepad.exe, that after I save the file the sentences / spaces between sentences wont go all to hell making me have to fix each line later, when I finally go to paste into into the publish box. With "Word Wrap" disabled I dont have to worry about this, but then its still extra tedious all during draft mode. With Wordpad.exe I recall it always putting weird double spaces between the lines thus still needing to have to go and fix the entire composition line by line.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I draft all my threads in Word, which gives me no formatting issues. The default is to have double spaces between lines, but I always reset that to "no spaces" at the beginning of each document. If you don't have Word, you need a similar program which will allow you to make the same adjustment.

edit on 5-7-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
try Notepad++

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
try Notepad++

This. It is the best free editor there is. No matter what you do, coding, writing, html, whatever. I have replaced it as the default text editor on my pc so they open with it by default. tabs, section high lighting, plugins (spelling check, etc).

Yep, would have said so but beaten to it.

Notepad++

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Notepad++ ofcourse but OpenOffice/LibreOffice should also be mentioned. It's a free suite like Office only open source, you can also create pdf and Word doc files.

www.libreoffice.org...
www.openoffice.org...

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

I just tried it, but when I paste 'paragraphs' into it they just run on off the page (like Notepad.exe with Word Wrap turned off). [if it gets saved with Word Wrap turned on then the sentences / paragraphs get screwed]

Wordpad wouldn't do this, but when paste the final script into the forums editor the double line space between sentences occurs.

I find it astounding that in 2016 such a trivial ordeal wouldn't have been long forgotten.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Sublime Text 3 for me. Notepad++ used to be my editor of choice, but sublime pips it for - well - being sublime to use

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Notepad++ is probably going to be the fastest and simplest solution that you're looking for. It's light and full of perks. For something more in depth, I would definitely recommend OpenOffice as an all around word processing suite. LibreOffice is "okay," but I did not find it too friendly to use, and the layout was complicated and messy. Either way, here's a list of Notepad++ alternatives if you want to make the choice yourself

LINK

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

As an EMT, I also am newsletter editor for e.r.services, and use Word exclusively because it let's me adjust every aspect....and I use Notepad on the fly. Quick stuff to work on later.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: savemebarry

I just tried it, but when I paste 'paragraphs' into it they just run on off the page (like Notepad.exe with Word Wrap turned off). [if it gets saved with Word Wrap turned on then the sentences / paragraphs get screwed]

You can change this in the options on the top bar.

Notepad++ is pretty awesome. If you get stuck on it you're welcome to send me a U2U, but there is plenty of documentation out there.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Just gonna add to the recommendations for Notepad++

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

I dug a bit into the options menus, but nothing that stood out to me as the setting I needed to hit, that actually fixed this 'Word Wrap' / paragraph buster issue I'm desperately needing to circumnavigate.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Notepad++ all the way.

Pro-tip...

Open a new document
Type Chewbacca
Select all and press F1

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I open Notepad++, I paste in a paragraph, and it runs off the page (like in Notepad.exe. with "Word Wrap" disabled).

I need paragraphs to paste into and out of the txt app, without problems. Can anybody explain to me the settings to make any program suit such a need?

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Notepad++ has a word-wrap option under “view” - if that doesn’t help you then I honestly don’t know what will. It doesn’t have a ruler so it won’t be much use for writing letters or CVs for example, it’s more of a programmer’s tool rather than for anything which might be printed on paper.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Plugins -> Plugin Manager -> Show Plugin Manager

Install TextFX characters from the manager.

Ruler:
TextFX -> TextFX Tools -> Insert Ruler

Amusing word wraps:
TextFX -> TextFX Edit -> Unwrap Text
TextFX -> TextFX Edit -> ReWrap Text to (clipboard or 72) width
Default: View -> Word Wrap

It's a pain to start with, amazing once you've got it going how you want.

Note: there is a dedicated ruler plugin. It's probably better than the TextFX one, but I don't use it.
edit on 6-7-2016 by Pinke because: Note

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
i would say notepad++, is problaby what you are looking for. its amazing, here is a list of the top ones;

notepad++
sublime
vim
emacs
jed

and then there is:
word
openoffice writer

sure I could think of more but off the top of my head thats good.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
THANK YOU KINDLY!!!!

new topics

join