It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMEXIT? Kentucky Congressman Massie uses Brexit to push for U.S. to leave U.N.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
In light of "Brexit" Kentucky Congressman Massie suggests the U.S.A leave the U.N.

Britain's Brexit vote to leave the European Union gave Massie, R-Ky., the opportunity to tout his bill he co-sponsored last year, the American Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2015, for the U.S. to leave the United Nations. His posts on Facebook and Twitter following the Brexit vote have garnered thousands of responses. "Time for #amexit?" Massie wrote on Facebook. "I'm a cosponsor of H.R. 1205 to get the U.S. out of the U.N."

A link to The American Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2015 text:

You might find yourself wondering, why?

When asked why leave the U.N., Massie said why not?

Brilliant reasoning! All kidding aside, some of his arguments are found on the CE's page which I linked down below. Please take a look, I'd like to hear some opinions.

The idea of the U.S. leaving the U.N. is not new. Former Congressman, presidential candidate and Libertarian icon Ron Paul introduced a bill in 1997 for the U.S. to leave the U.N. Massie and Paul's son, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, are close political allies. While Massie's bill and similar bills in the past have not advanced in Congress, Massie said he plans on bringing the issue up the issue in the budget process. He said he would offer up an amendment to the state department budget to defund the U.N.'s contribution.

Cincinnati Enquierer

Esther Brimmer an Assistant Secretary at the Bureau of International Organization Affairs had this to say in regards to the U.S. interacting with the U.N. and its benefits

U.S. engagement at the United Nations is an essential means of achieving our foreign policy goals and advancing our values. It is an important forum for burden-sharing in tough financial times. And it clearly benefits Americans.

State Gov site

Do you think his suggestion is ludicrous? Are you ready to support an AMEXIT? What are your opinions? Let's discuss this!

-Alee
edit on 7/5/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

The US would never leave the UN... the UN is like other organizations the West likes because you can accomplish much more with such types of organizations.

I think of it similarly to the International Monetary Fund and its relationship to our economy.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

And give up the Security Council seat?

Lol

Not happening.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
What we need is for Washington DC to leave the US...!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The Kentucky Congressman just doesn't get it does he , although I think it's a great idea , the UN could then move away from the US to a more enlightened country..... Russia perhaps.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

You might find yourself wondering, why?

When asked why leave the U.N., Massie said why not?

Brilliant reasoning! All kidding aside, some of his arguments are found on the CE's page which I linked down below. Please take a look, I'd like to hear some opinions.

I see nothing wrong with that reasoning if you cannot give a reason why staying is good for Americans.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Lol

The UN actually did something useful maybe 40 years ago, when it successfully dealt with some of the crisis that we have had. But recently it has become a joke of an organization.

It is pretty much clear, that the big superpowers don't give a damn about the international laws, and the UN. They get to do whatever the hell they want to, and there's no one to stop them, but each other. For me, I lost my faith in the UN in 1999, when it was not able to prevent NATO's illegal bombing of my country.

edit on 241k2016Tuesdayam014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Here:

American taxpayers will once again be liable for more than one-fifth of the United Nations’ regular budget next year, as well as more than one-quarter of the much-larger peacekeeping budget – a total of approximately $2,957,000,000

CNS NEWS

Seems as though we consistently fund most of the UN budget/ peacekeeping budget (in comparison to the other members of the U.N.), with no signs of that changing.

I'm curious to know, IF it ever became a vote, how many people would be googling "What is the UN" after the fact?

-Alee
edit on 7/5/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think we should leave the UN and NATO. We pay for all of it anyways.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

And?

Have you actually read his proposal and his discussion behind his reasoning?

I've always though that the UN was a pointless organization--just another feel-good creation that pretends to do something positive for the world, but ends up actually causing more discord and hostility, all while wasting taxpayer dollars and valuable New York real estate.

I'm all for his proposal, and not just because he's my congressman.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I am always amazed at how clueless people are about the UN. They seem to know about the rare Peace Keeping operations and are under some false idea the US pays for it all. The US pays for 22% of the UN budget. Not all of it, not half of it, not even a quarter of it anymore. And people do not seem to know that the UN eradicated small pox, through UNICEF has saved 90 million children since 1990, that the UN creates a format for peaceful resolutions to problems, since the creation of the UN the amount of people killed in conflicts has continually dropped so that the first decade of the 21st Century had less people die from conflict than any decade in the 20th, reducing famine and starvation by massive numbers, reducing aids in the developing world by 35%.

No the UN does not operate well at all as a military peace keeping force and it has no way to enforce resolutions or treaties. It is for all intents and purposes powerless. That however is what makes it so effective at defeating hunger, disease and as a platform for the peaceful resolution of issues between nations. Frankly leaving the UN would be move so stupid not even North Korea would do it, and it hates the UN. The only nations not in the UN are places not recognized as a nation. And only once has a nation decided to leave and the come right back, Indonesia in the 60's. Why? Because a nation would have to be off its rocker to do so.
edit on 5-7-2016 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

The UN is to some degree a toothless , conflicted talking shop but it is a place where countries can raise concerns and highlight disagreement without first reaching for the gun , to contemplate detaching from it is pure folly and kinda symbolic of Trumps isolationist view of the world.

The UN can also be a source of great humour , who could forget Netanyahu's cartoon bomb picture or Ahmadinejad's whiff of sulfur when he followed Bush Jr .... Oh how we laughed.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

The UN actually did something useful maybe 40 years ago, when it successfully dealt with some of the crisis that we have had. But recently it has become a joke of an organization.

Because you have certain countries on the security council that hold veto power and seem to like to use it when anything that doesn't fit there way of seeing things.

The UN wanted a tribunal for MH 17 and was stopped by Russia vetoing it in the security council meeting at the time.

Also you can only do so much, with what you have...no real military force, a floundering Aid program, having to deal with warlords in Africa when trying to get well needed supplies to people.

In all actuality the UN is where we need to start a revamp so that it represents every country the same big or small.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

The UN is to some degree a toothless , conflicted talking shop

Well that is where they send those who really aren't contributing enough for the president.

That is why we usually have no clue who the UN ambassador is/are.

And it's probably the same for most if not all countries in the UN.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

And only once has a nation decided to leave and the come right back, Indonesia in the 60's.

They found out the grass on the other side of that fence isn't greener at all, it was brown.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: MrSpad

And only once has a nation decided to leave and the come right back, Indonesia in the 60's.

They found out the grass on the other side of that fence isn't greener at all, it was brown.

It becomes a you vs the world things because you have no input but, the decisions the world makes still effects you. It would be like living in the US and giving up your right to vote or even speak about how the country was run.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Let's discuss this? Sure! He's an idiot. That clear enough?

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Having read the article, there are consequences for those actions.

The United Nations, was formed following World War II, which was the child of a prior group called the League of Nations. It was created to prevent another war, after seeing the horrors of both World War I and World War II, in an attempt to help mankind and for nations to have a place to solve their differences and to work out problems, when more diplomatic channels.

The question now, is this, if the USA pulls out of the UN, what would be the consequences of such, what countries would follow and what can we live without?

One of the things that I can see happening, is that many of the organizations that the USA is a part on, would have to be renegotiated, and possibly removed from. The dollar is a world currency, cause of things through the UN, and that could be removed, causing the value of the dollar to fall, thus we would have inflation and possible recession. Many trade deals may be affected, and then there are all of the areas that there are military bases. Those would have to be renegotiated with individual countries, some may just have the USA leave, no longer to be in their country. I can think of 3 or 4 countries that are allies of the USA, but due to the USA policies have strained relations, to the point they want the USA to leave.

And without the USA around, who is to say that countries like China and Russia will not take on a more prominent role, to where the balance of power starts to shift and spheres of influence. With many countries who do not like the USA, would it be wise to leave prominent positions? And what if by leaving, It gives other countries provocation to start attacking US interests around the world, after all there would be no means to stop such. Even Russia and China has learned that lesson so long ago, not being present for votes, means that a vote not cast is not counted. What would be to stop say those countries from initiating say a blockade or worse against the USA?

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
In light of "Brexit" Kentucky Congressman Massie suggests the U.S.A leave the U.N.

While we're at it, husbands should leave their wives, children should divorce their parents, and all household pets should leave home and take to the streets. Independence for all.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I really appreciate everyone's responses, I'll admit, I roughly know what the UN does, but after yesterday I had started re educating myself. I hadn't even thought of some of the consequences of leaving that a lot of you mentioned. Especially the value of the dollar, trade deals, and military bases.

The more we discuss these things, the more knowledge gets passed around..... with it being the internet, some ignorance always finds its way in, but its our job to read the information, and decide what is important. Thank you for providing me some company and viewpoints!

-Alee

top topics

<<   2 >>

join