It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reason And Faith are Irreconcilable

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I'm not going to go round in circles debating the son of god vs Jesus is god.

I'm also not going to go around in circles debating if there is a god or not.

Both of those are futile for us to debate with each other. Neither of us are going to accomplish anything.

Then why are you even participating in this thread?

Because those aren't the subject of the thread.

But you're right. These threads always devolve into arguing semantics about the existence of God and the interpretations of the many versions of the bible.

Enjoy your time with this thread. I'm out.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Both of those are futile for us to debate with each other. Neither of us are going to accomplish anything.

But you're right. These threads always devolve into arguing semantics about the existence of God and the interpretations of the many versions of the bible.

it is true, the topic is in concern to the compatibility of reason and faith. to squeeze this debate into the frame of judaism is very restrictive and misleading as it implies judaism is the only source of faith or the most prestigious source of faith. lets compare reason to norse or greek or roman or aztec or hindu or celtic or sumerian faith. anyone wanna take a crack?

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

No problem, I wish you peace.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Actually, I'm fine with the pagan "Christ". I'm just not fine with attributing Jesus the Nazarene to "Christ", unless of course, we are all "Christs".

Christ means anointed. If that gives you issues then like I said, call Him HaMashiyach.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Actually, I'm fine with the pagan "Christ". I'm just not fine with attributing Jesus the Nazarene to "Christ", unless of course, we are all "Christs".

Christ means anointed. If that gives you issues then like I said, call Him HaMashiyach.

how about just using the regular jesus of nazareth?

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Seeing as that is what people called Him that didn't realize He was the Messiah, I guess that's appropriate for Windword.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Seeing as that is what people called Him that didn't realize He was the Messiah, I guess that's appropriate for Windword.

did you ever think that maybe he preferred being an average joe? i would imagine, based on modern day celebrities, that being recognized as a messiah gets real old real fast. the same way that being recognized as a millionaire gets old fast. all your friends are fake, the whole world expects...well, the world of you, and the second you stop being anything but miraculous, everyone hates you for not being what they want when they want it. no wonder he went to the cross willingly.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

No, I don't.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

No, I don't.

no, you wouldnt. lack of perspective and whatnot. its always fascinated me how many opinions (and such fierce opinions!) mortal finite ignorant people have on what its like to be immortal and infinite and omniscient and how it should be used and for what reasons. like a tomato bug bashing obama for immigration reform. or a tomato bug praising obama for making tomato plants.

but we are getting off topic here. faith vs reason... or is it over now?
edit on 6-7-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

That presupposes that it's impossible for the Immortal, infinite, omniscient God to reveal Himself to man. This also presupposes that if all don't have ears to hear and eyes to see then no one else does.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

That presupposes that it's impossible for the Immortal, infinite, omniscient God to reveal Himself to man. This also presupposes that if all don't have ears to hear and eyes to see then no one else does.

faith vs reason...?

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Faith just means you believe God will do what He said HE will do. Trust basically.
edit on 6-7-2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Faith just means you believe God will do what He said HE will do. Trust basically.

again, priests will always take the parachute over the rosary beads if they are about to fall out of the sky. gravity doesnt give a rats furry rectum about your salvation package.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

again, priests will always take the parachute over the rosary beads if they are about to fall out of the sky. gravity doesnt give a rats furry rectum about your salvation package.

You're talking about a ton of stuff I never affirmed as my position. If some Joker wants to be a fool and jump out of a plane and try to make God save his life, sorry it's not going to happen.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

You're talking about a ton of stuff I never affirmed as my position. If some Joker wants to be a fool and jump out of a plane and try to make God save his life, sorry it's not going to happen.

what kind of god stands by and watches an idiot fall to his death? if you are a benevolent deity, you dont have a choice in the matter. you have to save lives regardless of why they are in danger. otherwise you are OPTIONALLY benevolent. and thats called an oxymoron. you cant pick and choose your moments to be a hero anymore than a firefighter chooses what house goes up in flames and when.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I think you're confusing Almighty God with the genie from Aladdin. And it's not witchcraft either, "I did an incantation and put Jesus' name at the end so you are forced to obey me."

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

it is true, the topic is in concern to the compatibility of reason and faith. to squeeze this debate into the frame of judaism is very restrictive and misleading as it implies judaism is the only source of faith or the most prestigious source of faith. lets compare reason to norse or greek or roman or aztec or hindu or celtic or sumerian faith. anyone wanna take a crack?

Sure. ALL religion is very unreasonable.The belief through faith of religion is faith in a religion not a God.The evidence of the falsity of all religion is abundant and reasonable.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

There was no such person who existed with that name.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Yeah? No thanks.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I think you're confusing Almighty God with the genie from Aladdin. And it's not witchcraft either, "I did an incantation and put Jesus' name at the end so you are forced to obey me."

its very simple. if you have "infinite cosmic power" (the words of the genie himself, mind you) and you take it upon yourself to be grandfatherly guardian of the negligible blue pearl floating around on the back arm of one of thousands of galaxies, then you do not get to choose WHEN. if there is trouble, you have made it your personal priority to make sure it is handled. and if you cannot do so indiscriminately, then you arent fit for the job and should let someone else do it better.

otherwise, you are helping SOME people. do you know what the other side of that is? you are deliberately allowing OTHER people to suffer. and for what reason? whats the basis in choosing a potential rape victim over a starving child? or providing housing for one family vs preventing a bomb from landing on another? being almighty, there shouldnt be a choice at all. it should be all inclusive. so either your deity is not almighty, or he is not benevolent. the REASONING here is pretty simple.

bottom line:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?

...why call him god? faith, i suppose.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join