It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dan Brown Is Paying to Digitize Ancient Occult Documents, For Free Publication

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
The ancient occult texts that Dan Brown is paying to digitize and make free for all

Let me start by giving my brief history with Dan Brown. I read The Da Vinci Code when I was a teenager, it was alright. I thought that Angels & Demons was better, and as I continued to read some of his other works of fiction I began to realize he was a total hack. He's good at keeping you turning the page, but most of his ideas and plot lines were copied from some lesser known works that predate The DaVinci Code. Works such as, The List of Seven by Mark Frost (fiction). And most of his conspiracy related success came from the controversy behind his references to Holy Blood Holy Grail (among other controversies).

Anyways, as it turns out, Dan Brown may not be so bad after all. At least he's willing to take on the responsibility of giving back to the academic community and the public at large.

Some of the world’s rarest documents will soon be available online for everyone.

Dan Brown, author of The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, announced last week (June 16) that he’s donating €300,000 to digitize a collection of ancient books. The 4,600 pre-1900 texts on alchemy, astrology, magic, and theosophy are housed in Amsterdam’s Bibliotheca Philosophica Hermetica, also called the Ritman Library.

They include extremely precious texts on Hermeticism, an occult tradition that began roughly in the second century AD, and early printed editions of the Bible and the Quran:

Corpus Hermeticum (1472): the source work on Hermetic wisdom. Says Ritman, when the manuscript arrived at the de’Medici court in 1463, scholar Marsilio Ficino was told to stop his translation of all the works of Plato, in order to translate this immediately.

Jakob Böhme’s works in English (1764-1781): Böhme was a shoemaker who became a seminal figure of German Christian mysticism.

Giordano Bruno’s Spaccio de la bestia trionfante (1584): Bruno, who lived during the Italian Renaissance, was burned at the stake for refusing to recant his ideas on the infinite universe.

the first printed version of the tree of life (1516): A graphic representation of the sefirot, the 10 virtues of God according to the Kabbalah.

an early Quran printed in Arabic (1694): The fourth edition of the printed Quran in Arabic, printed in Hamburg, Germany.

a copy of a first-edition Quran in Latin (1542-1543): Printed in Basel, Switzerland.

a hand-colored version of the Bible (1568-1573): A hand-inked version of the Bible printed for King Philips II of Spain, which appeared with four side-by-side translations, in Greek, Latin, Hebrew, and Chaldaic.

I am very excited about this, and therefor thought I should share it with the rest of you. Let me know what you guys think.

Additional Link

edit on 7/5/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Like one heavy drinking English friend told to me once:

"Good Stuff!"

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Thanks for posting. Should be some good info in these texts for you occult/philosophical experts to dissect through!

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It's cool but most if not all of these documents are already translated and available easily in PDF format or paper re-edition on Amazon.

I don't really get the point of this, probably some kind of publicity stunt.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaceGoatFart

Which ones are available and where? If you are correct then I can see how this may be a publicity stunt.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Excellent, that's very noble of him! I can't wait to read the Corpus Hermeticum among others...

Good find

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

P.s I wouldn't be so critical on Dan Brown for being a hack, every author needs there inspiration and his books were well researched and just as importantly page turners as you put it. Unless he was outright plagiarizing and not giving due credit I don't see the problem. The success of the books drew attention to that which is occulted and possibly opened some doors for some, I bought Holy Blood Holy Grail because of them and what a dull read that was! Ha

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

You could well be right, I've just looked and the Corpus Hermeticum is available, just bookmarked it

Why would a successful author want to spend $300 on a publicity stunt though, especially if all or most of the works are already available and easily searchable? It doesn't make any sense, perhaps the idea is to scan the works in their original form or something?

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

The thing is I don't think he has any new books scheduled to come out any time soon. So if it were a publicity stunt, I'm not sure what it is he's attempting to publicize.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

So if it were a publicity stunt, I'm not sure what it is he's attempting to publicize.

No, me neither

Which ones are available and where? If you are correct then I can see how this may be a publicity stunt.

But you have already said you can see how it may be a publicity stunt, how so then? I'm confused.

Did you even read my posts? Or reply to the wrong person?

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I was saying that if he had some upcoming book release or other miscellaneous project that he would be profiting from, then the idea of this news story being a publicity stunt to promote something else wouldn't sound so far fetched.

But if you read both news stories, no where do they mention any new publishing by Dan Brown.

So again, if it's a publicity stunt I'm not sure what he's publicizing.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Ok thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

Agenda, time for these types of books to be proliferated so people will do the ceremonies and move back to the old religions.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

How is he a hack? He literally lists out the books he got his ideas from in the Da'vinci code, and seeing how it is fiction, he totally didn't need to do that.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

The thing is I don't think he has any new books scheduled to come out any time soon. So if it were a publicity stunt, I'm not sure what it is he's attempting to publicize.

His name. "No matter why they talk about me, as long as they do".

His name is like a brand and he must remember people his books still exist, or convince new potential readers.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Perhaps there is something contained within promoting a one world religion sort of ideal? Only something of magnitude could require publicity at such a peculiar time.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Inferno, another sequel to the DaVinci Code , is scheduled to be released in theaters on October 28th.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
At last he's involved in something worth reading!

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Can not wait to down load them!
Thanks dan.
I would have given money to help this.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Magnivea

Ah, that's probably it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join