It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some serious theological problems with the Christian religion

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

originally posted by: GoShredAK
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Hey thank you!

That really means a lot to me, and inspires me to never give up.

And thank you, too. You let me know that I have family out there.

You know it brother
✌🙏

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: Akragon

WHAT is a zoroastarian's parthenon?

a chocolate bar?

Actually sounds like a wicked roadster... I'd drive one!

edit on 6-7-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I don't see the ten commandments as ritualistic at all.

Just a guide on how to be a decent person, obtain peace of mind and peace In your life.

Especially six through ten;

6 "you shall not murder.

7 “You shall not commit adultery.

8 “You shall not steal.

9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's

edit on 6-7-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Some scolar you are.
MOVING on.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Some scolar you are.
MOVING on.

LOL... When did i ever claim to be a scholar...

Im just some cat hanging on my forum...

I know Zoroastrianism, and i know what the Parthenon is, but im unsure how they relate, one is a religion and one is a roman structure based on greek mythology

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

a reply to: CB328

In my ongoing quest to analyze religion and it's effect on society I have had a realization lately about Christianity- namely that Christians themselves can't even agree on the vital tenets of the religion. Why should people be willing to devote their lives to a belief system that isn't even clearly defined? If you don't believe me, then read on.

I have had a really difficult time with this throughout my life. I grew up as a standard christian. Went to church, read my bible, prayed often.

No that I am older and have been exposed to the vast world of conspiracies I have pretty much given up on religion for the most part, but it does not feel right. I believe in Jesus and I believe he has worked in my life so I am very reluctant to give that faith up.

So these days I keep it simple, just obey the ten commandments and trust that itll all work out.

I feel like regardless of what religion you are the ten commandments are a valuable guide on how we ought to live our lives. I don't think you can go wrong that way.

Someone else that's honest.

The beauty of one's heart that can never reject Jesus in the face of so much temptation is amazing.

It's impossible to be perfect in this world, but I think perfection is found in those who hold on to Jesus never denying no matter how hard it gets and no matter how hard we fail.

That's good stuff right there.

If you were a Jew over 2000 years ago the 10 commandments would have served you well, not so much anymore

I dont think you learned anything of any value at sunday school, sadly, I think they taught you rubbish
Its a poor reflection on the church of today

Jesus is more interested in people living out of love than ritual

Jesus is most interested in people living out their conscience so that they are in a better position to love. No judging those who found the way of their liberty, that's counter productive, brother.

Jesus asked christians to love God and love each other, its the law

Mark 12:30-31English Standard Version Anglicised (ESVUK)

30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Also we dont judge those outside the church, those in the church we can and must
Matthew 18:15
"If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over.

Problem with living out of conscience is conscience can be corrupted from the beginning, always perverted, live out of love
1 Corinthians 13:4-8
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Well said

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
A simpler way to live besides strictly following the ten commandments IMO, is to just live believing karma is real. I think that pretty much covers it. Which is probably not ok to Christianity, but probably just fine with Jesus.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Jesus knew all about Karma...

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Good stuff

I like karma because looking back at one of the commandments, "remember the Sabbath, keep it holy"

That does sound a bit ritualistic, I definitely don't do that. Is that really a bad thing.

I don't see how its comparable to stealing, or adultery, or murder.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

I don't see the ten commandments as ritualistic at all.

Just a guide on how to be a decent person, obtain peace of mind and peace In your life.

Especially six through ten;

6 "you shall not murder.

7 “You shall not commit adultery.

8 “You shall not steal.

9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's

Jesus taught the Sermon on the Mount, read that.
The Beatitudes
2 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons[a] of God.

10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Then Corinthians
1 Corinthians 13:4-8
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

Then explained the Fruit of the Spirit
Galatians: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Well said

Wow
Didnt expect that

Thanks

I better say something nasty so we dont become friends

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Good stuff

I like karma because looking back at one of the commandments, "remember the Sabbath, keep it holy"

That does sound a bit ritualistic, I definitely don't do that. Is that really a bad thing.

Its not comparable...

it means make time for God..

Talk to God

Its more about a relationship with HIM... nothing else

edit on 6-7-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon. That makes much more sense.

When its beautiful outside, or maybe I'm just having a good day, or when something awesome happens. Pretty much every valuable little moment, family, stuff like that. I thank God for it still to this day.

Even though my brain has fallen out due to ATS exposure, I still do that.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Well said

Wow
Didnt expect that

Thanks

I better say something nasty so we dont become friends

Thought you'd be banned by now...

really shows where assumptions will get you... eh?

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Good stuff

Its not comparable...

it means make time for God..

Talk to God

Its more about a relationship with HIM... nothing else

Well said

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Well... really, have you ever read the requirements of keeping the Sabbath?

I actually tried it for a while... its not easy in the least...

pointless in reality... its just ritualistic nonsense!

Ask a Jew, they have no choice lol

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

NOT the Romans.
Do go on.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   

NOT the Romans.
Do go on.

Do go on?

Since you've already dismissed me... why don't you enlighten the class about your topic of said "Zoroastrian Parthenon".. and of course how it relates to the OP's topic

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

I didn't claim knowledge I asked YOU .
WHAT is your answer?
If you don't know just SAY so, GEEZE.
edit on 6-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join