It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some serious theological problems with the Christian religion

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DefeatDeceit888

You know that bull in the desert? It was to sacrifice children on... this herb was placed here, that herb was placed there, this wood was there, and a child was placed in it.

So yeah they were sacrificing children in hopes they could achieve some sanctum from that sacrifice instead of making one themselves.

If it sounds like virgins to appease volcano "gods" thats exactly what it is.

You know a person so scared of dying when drowning will bite off the fingers of the very person trying to save them? So when one fears not only for their life but livelihood and think some sacrifice can be made? They'll make it without question... it;s that same spirit that defends ones honor, ones country or whatever belief or banner theyve chosen to wave a smile under, instead of a hey how are you? Hope you’re having a nice day.

A much easier sacrifice to make isnt it? But ego says nope... lets fry up those babies and toss virgins into volcanoes cause it isnt us that have to extend the hand. But hey happy to extend a mouth and infect as many ears as possible to deliver their children into a cycle of stupidity.

Well, some of us dont want to do that... and well, I;d hope that would be 100% of us whether one has children or not.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

He's a compilation of many gods...who weren't very nice.

As individual tribal deities they served useful purposes in polytheistic societies. Put them together as an empire one and only, big time problems. Here's an article I ran across last night accidently.

Gods, or God?
Perhaps the Greeks and Romans had the right idea with their polytheism.
October 23, 2007|Mary Lefkowitz | Mary Lefkowitz is professor emerita at Wellesley College and the author of "Greek Gods, Human Lives" and the forthcoming "History Lesson."

Prominent secular and atheist commentators have argued lately that religion "poisons" human life and causes endless violence and suffering. But the poison isn't religion; it's monotheism. The polytheistic Greeks didn't advocate killing those who worshiped different gods, and they did not pretend that their religion provided the right answers. Their religion made the ancient Greeks aware of their ignorance and weakness, letting them recognize multiple points of view.
articles.latimes.com...

I recommend the whole article.

In case you're interested, I would estimate at least 75% of educational info I read is written by women.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

What all of that seems to boil down too, is similar to mercury... all of these gods or religions or even charismatic leaders, have a draw or pull and well looking at ancient Egypt many were absorbed like a ball of mercury absorbs another as the peoples ideas beliefs and concepts changed to their need... of course this conglomeration came from the influence of the Greeks/Romans at the time... all trying or attempting to unite under one banner or god in a world rule or control... of course resistance becomes armies, and then crusades and conversions... all of which are still occurring to this very day. The last non covert way of accomplishing this was of course the mentioned crusades under the royal crown or throne... slavery wasnt even sanctioned or allowed in the US until a papal decree allowing it to occur.

Very true words there, BBD.
Coming out of Christianity has been eye opening, to say the least. Now that I'm on the "other side", so to speak, I see now how in bondage people really are to it. It produces fear in the believer. Which also switches to anger and attacking if you challenge it. But, that is the exact character of YHWH and the character of Paul.
Anyway, I am grateful for those on here who are seeking the same answers I am.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

I was literally thinking of that story 30 seconds ago! Definitely because Daniel has the late date when Bel was probably used by the Greeks.

Before that it was Baal.

Strange that the "archnemesis" of YHVH, Baal is a title meaning Lord. Baal Shem Tov, for instance. Baalzebul, Lord of the air (not flies).

Baalbek the town or village, and in Genesis many towns are taken over named after Baal but not renamed.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

Well, there's nothing wrong with Christianity... or any other it's the ones calling themselves that and making it to whatever suits them and their belief not what it's actually asking them to do. When that occurs the perversion sets in and everyone is wrong and everyones an enemy and well thats the danger of it... aware of it? How can one go to such an extreme?

The interesting thing is this phenomena occurs with everyone new to a chosen label of something, and of course their faith that its right, turns into a need to justify it by whatever means.

Like vegetarians adopting that lifestyle making their families life that choose to eat meat a living hell... instead of hey your choice as an adult, of course its a two way street going hey hey check out this thick juicy steak in disrespect of their choice too.

It just draws lines between everything instead of hey everyone lets eat.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Here's the problem....

In my ongoing quest to analyze religion and it's effect on society I have had a realization lately about Christianity- namely that Christians themselves can't even agree on the vital tenets of the religion.

Bolded for emphasis.

None of what you've mentioned are "vital tenets" of christianity....The only thing that makes one a christian is if they believe that Jesus Christ was the son of god, died for the sake of mankinds salvation and rose again on the 3rd day....that's it....the rest is moot..

A2D

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

A lot of people don't realize the bare naked gospel is in 1 Corinthians chapter 15.

Nice post.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

That's also as far as I could narrow it down to, verses 1-4. (back in the old days)
But then there are people who don't believe in the physical resurrection but consider themselves Christian.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm actually very resentful towards religion ! It is such an old way of brining order & control to the masses. I mean how can anyone take someone seriously that blindly believes in a book "Written" by man, from the copper-age.

It is no wonder that we have all these serious issues & major setbacks in a modern age that should gravitate towards science & technology.

It really is sad that so many people actually believe in the written word of a bunch of Roman aristocrats & politicians.

There are people that seriously believe the world was created in a week & on a Sunday he rested... Who rested all of the brainwashed sheep who sleep in on a Sunday because there was no work.. Take a guess they are referring to the origin of our working week.

That aside I can't understand why so many Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old & that dinosaurs were put in the ground to test your faith.. Utterly obsered! Don't let me get going about the ark.. πŸ˜‚

Don't get me wrong I'm all for spiritual upliftment & everyone is on there own personal quest etc.

I have become so outraged over religious believes that I will gladly debate this controversial topic any time any place. I don't evan like or accept the concept of a god or gods.. As that word has been tainted & used to describe & feel the wrath & manipulation of man to serve his own best interests.

Let me make this very clear.. No one & I mean no one can say that they have conversations with god. It is an impossibility & I guarantee you it was a one sided conversation πŸ˜‚ They say if you talk to yourself it is a sign of madness.

Just think how many battles & how many crimes have been committed, over the ages under the false claims that "god had spoken to the people or spoke to the king or to the pope.. bla bla bla !

Also the word god denotes singular & I really do not need to say, well what created god ? & what created the thingy mabob that created god.. Do you see where I'm going with this very old & cheesy fable ?

What the world needs is science & technology, advancements & education & less banking on some fairy in the sky who is at everyone's beck & call.

I understand there are people suffering in the world that turn to God for answers.. But please tell me how that's working out for them.. You see I'm not a pessimist by anymeans, I am a realist & it's mans fault for slowing down our progression & bringing on the dark ages & putting us back a few hundred years give or take a few.

The world needs to be liberated from the emotional blackmail & fear of reporting to a deity that represents mans goodness + & mans darkness - both god & the devil are, personified thought of a representation of positive & negative..
That's all it is, an illusion imposed by many years of lying & deceit & fear tactics !!!

The bible, Quran etc are all a plagerisium on the Egyptian believe systems & serves as an astrolical hybrid. Stories that are literally about the zodiac & the stars eg.

The 3 kings followed a star to find the Son of christ.. actually Sun as in our star which aligns itself during the precession & solstices bringing us the signal that the year was close to ending & the ushering in of a new aeon/age.
Just to reference zeitgeist in case you feel I'm claiming that one 😁

Anyways that's my vent over with for now. Much love & respect to those who never stop asking questions & are fearless in their pursuit for the truth.

You can still be good morally humble being with out conforming to religion & it's tarnished ideals founded on blood shed & war mungering.
πŸ˜‡πŸ˜ˆ

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

That's also as far as I could narrow it down to, verses 1-4. (back in the old days)
But then there are people who don't believe in the physical resurrection but consider themselves Christian.

According to verse 4 then they don't believe the gospel. That's what made His two half brothers worshippers. I mean, can you imagine what it would take for you to worship your own brother or sister?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

can you imagine what it would take for you to worship your own brother or sister?

There's a story that they feared for his sanity at one point, I think he made a statement then about who his real family was.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: KazeKurai
Welcome to ATS.

What the world needs is science & technology, advancements & education & less banking on some fairy in the sky who is at everyone's beck & call.

I understand there are people suffering in the world that turn to God for answers.. But please tell me how that's working out for them..

There's the crux, seems an impossible impasse. I have heard stories and read stories and even seen examples of people individually helped by turning to a god, well, sometimes an angel perhaps, and perhaps a saint or just a regular person for help; and they got it. Even if it's an emotional boost that brings hope, that is something.

But perhaps people can later, when they're ready, educate themselves in such a way to align rational thought with emotion.

I'm just getting preachy now.

But welcome to ATS

edit on 8-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
a reply to: KazeKurai
Welcome to ATS.

I understand there are people suffering in the world that turn to God for answers.. But please tell me how that's working out for them..

There's the crux, seems an impossible impasse. I have heard stories and read stories and even seen examples of people individually helped by turning to a god, well, sometimes an angel perhaps, and perhaps a saint or just a regular person for help; and they got it. Even if it's an emotional boost that brings hope, that is something.

But perhaps people can later, when they're ready, educate themselves in such a way to align rational thought with emotion.

I'm just getting preachy now.

But welcome to ATS

rational thought is turning a rock into a knife, emotion is deciding where to stick it. but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out swinging it at someones head is probably not a good idea. and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that sticking it in your kid because a booming voice in the sky tells you to definitely isnt a good idea.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DefeatDeceit888

All relationships are based on feelings and if you don't feel God you don't have a relationship.

Relationships can be based on various things.

But it at least must be between two things and not just one thing and itself or it's own mind.

It's interesting how different people tell you they have a relationship with God, in their head, yet the longer they discuss what that means the less they agree. You'd think God would straighten out the confusion so as not to cause conflict between those people, but that's not what happens is it.

Now why might that be??

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

A lot of people don't realize the bare naked gospel is in 1 Corinthians chapter 15.

Nice post.

Brother, what is your denomination, if you dont mind my asking and if you had a ministry in south carolina, in the past. Just curious

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

I'm non-denominational. And I've lived in several states, but never South Carolina.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

rational thought is turning a rock into a knife, emotion is deciding where to stick it. but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out swinging it at someones head is probably not a good idea. and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that sticking it in your kid because a booming voice in the sky tells you to definitely isnt a good idea.

I would characterize rock to knife as manufacture.
Every decision-making process (such as where to stick a knife) produces a final choice that may or may not prompt action.
Rational thought has resulted in outcomes such as Supreme Court of United States decision of Reynolds v. United States, 98 U.S. (8 Otto.) 145 (1878), religious duty as a defense to criminal prosecution.

The Court investigated the history of religious freedom in the United States and quoted a letter from Thomas Jefferson in which he wrote that there was a distinction between religious belief and action that flowed from religious belief. The former "lies solely between man and his God," therefore "the legislative powers of the government reach actions only, and not opinions." The court considered that if polygamy was allowed, someone might eventually argue that human sacrifice was a necessary part of their religion, and "to permit this would be to make the professed doctrines of religious belief superior to the law of the land, and in effect to permit every citizen to become a law unto himself." The Court believed the First Amendment forbade Congress from legislating against opinion, but allowed it to legislate against action.

I do believe that the LDS changed their official church doctrine as a result. One of the benefits of having a living authority rather than relying solely upon some copper age writing.

Conversely, I don't think it is appropriate for a court to mandate that a defendant go to a 12-step program which relies upon calling to "your higher power".

As for practices performed in the past which we may find abhorrent, that's just it, past. Can't change it.
As for the people who consider fatal ritual of the past as a good thing, that's for them to justify, not me.

If someone said to me, "an angel reached down and pulled me out of the river", I wouldn't feel inclined to say, "get back in the river, there's no such thing as angels."

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

For me, the problems, inconsistencies, negativity, hypocrisy and irrationality of Christianity were enough to make me give up religion, but when you add on the downright shakiness of the whole theology now I can't see how anyone can take Christianity seriously. At least paganism had something real at it's root with nature.

Are you going to give up on life too, because I'm pretty sure you just described humanity as a whole. Everyone has their own interpretation of the Bible, our laws, politics, how life should be lived, etc.

I just can't see how anyone can take life or humanity seriously. Wink. Wink.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I'm non-denominational. And I've lived in several states, but never South Carolina.
Have a question, if i may:
Is baptizing others with the Holy Spirit, a gift of the Holy Spirit, which is not mentioned in the Bible?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei

Have a question, if i may:
Is baptizing others with the Holy Spirit, a gift of the Holy Spirit, which is not mentioned in the Bible?

It is mentioned, if you're referring to Acts chapter 2. The baptism of the Holy Spirit, or "baptism of fire" is a secondary experience after water baptism. It just simply means being filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit. That's the rivers of living water.

Remember the disciples received the Holy Spirit (infilling) in John chapter 10? But Jesus told them at His ascension to not go out anD preach until they were "endued with power from on High", the baptism of the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost. They also were refilled again in Acts 4.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join