It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does the US national anthem 'Star Spangled Banner' come from?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The song, sung proudly at every Super Bowl, was written for a private gentleman’s club in England, as a non US citizen i was not aware of this. Just assumed it "flowered" from America.

But few people will know that the tune of the national anthem, the “Star Spangled Banner”, a song sung proudly at every Super Bowl, originally came from England. The melody to which Francis Scott Key set the lyrics was derived from “To Anacreon In Heaven”, the constitutional song of the Anacreontic Society, a private gentleman’s club in London. The song was named after a Greek poet called Anacreon, who gained notoriety for his poems about women and drinking. It went on to be a common song sung in taverns in colonial America, but congress did not name it the official US anthem until 1931.

The composer of the melody was called John Stafford Smith, born in Gloucester in March 1750 and son of a cathedral organist. He went on to join the Chapel Royal in London and was a pupil of composer William Boyce.
By the time of the US civil war in 1861, the mix of Mr Smith’s melody with Mr Key’s lyrics had become one of the country’s most known and treasured songs, and was adopted by the military soon after.www.independent.co.uk... nd-a7119736.html

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39
The song, sung proudly at every Super Bowl, was written for a private gentleman’s club in England, as a non US citizen i was not aware of this. Just assumed it "flowered" from America.

But few people will know that the tune of the national anthem, the “Star Spangled Banner”, a song sung proudly at every Super Bowl, originally came from England. The melody to which Francis Scott Key set the lyrics was derived from “To Anacreon In Heaven”, the constitutional song of the Anacreontic Society, a private gentleman’s club in London. The song was named after a Greek poet called Anacreon, who gained notoriety for his poems about women and drinking. It went on to be a common song sung in taverns in colonial America, but congress did not name it the official US anthem until 1931.

The composer of the melody was called John Stafford Smith, born in Gloucester in March 1750 and son of a cathedral organist. He went on to join the Chapel Royal in London and was a pupil of composer William Boyce.
By the time of the US civil war in 1861, the mix of Mr Smith’s melody with Mr Key’s lyrics had become one of the country’s most known and treasured songs, and was adopted by the military soon after.www.independent.co.uk... nd-a7119736.html

Well as a non-us citizen, I did know this.

What are you alluding to though?

I'm just glad that advance Australia fair has stopped being an attack on us for wanting 'fair' skinned people.. idiots abound. lol

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

You are aware that Britain was the place that sent countless people all over the globe, making places yeah?

you didn't just pop up out of the ground....

*sorry to all indigenous peoples everywhere, throwing sticks and stuff, doesn't build conquering boats though...

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Who cares? Anti USA much?

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

Well as a non-us citizen, I did know this.
YOU are a smart "Little Vegamite" ar'nt you........

What are you alluding to though?
It's all in your devious mind mate, not mine......

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

Anti USA much?
NOT bloody likely mate, some people just don't get it, do they?........ members make an OP in good faith, and all some people want to do is "trash" the subject.....SHAME.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Text

Text

Text

Text

Text

Text

Text

Text

a reply to: Orionx2

Edit NVM... Not sure what is up with all this "Text popup crap...
edit on 4-7-2016 by Orionx2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-7-2016 by Orionx2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: tommo39
I knew this. Thanks for posting. I found the song your OP is about.

The Star Spangled Banner (original 1814 version)

The one we know now:

I hope you don't mind my posting those. I thought people would be interested in comparing them.
edit on 4-7-2016 by Skid Mark because: Wrong video lol

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I hope you don't mind my posting those
Your most welcome, the more information the better.......

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39
Thanks. Now I can't get To Anacreon In Heaven out of my head. At least the lyrics from the different songs aren't bleeding together. That would drive me nuts.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
And "Twinkle twinkle little star" was originally the tune for singing your ABCs

Or was it the other way round?

'Murica

new topics

top topics

join