It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let’s remember the time Donald Trump cashed a 13¢ check sent to him as a prank

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Donald Trump! Everyone is talking about Trump, whether you’re a fan of the man or a cry-baby loser. He’s been a part of the fabric of New York City and American culture for decades now. He’s running for President right now and claims to be worth a lot of money. Did you know he once cashed a check for 13 cents that a magazine sent him as an experiment to see if he’d cash it? Because that happened once!

Published between 1986 and 1998, Spy magazine was the hip, satirical, bomb-throwing magazine du jour, and in 1990 the writers had a great idea for a prank: What would happen if you sent checks for small amounts to celebrities and saw who cashed them, putting to test the theory that every man (and woman) has a price?

[Edit for brevity. --DJW001]

Spy thought “some subterfuge” would be necessary–it’d be suspicious to get a check from the magazine that lampooned so many of the intended recipients. This was specifically true for Trump, who Spy once famously referred to as a “short-fingered vulgarian.”

So, they created a fully funded and incorporated company called National Refund Clearinghouse, which allowed them to open a checking account. Then they drafted a letter explaining that the check was a refund for a small overcharge that had occurred in 1988–what the celebrities had been overcharged for was never mentioned. They sent the checks out (initially for $1.11) to 58 well-known people like Cher, Henry Kissinger, and, of course, Donald Trump. Of the 58, 26 cashed the checks–Donald included.

[Snip! --DJW001]

Then they went for one last score: in honor of those 13 people, 13 more checks for $0.13. Two people cashed them: a Saudi arms dealer named Adnan Khashoggi, and Donald Trump.

Seriously.

13 cents! Three pennies and two nickels! Now that’s financial responsibility you can run for the presidency on.

fusion.net...

To people who were alive and aware in the 1980s and -90s, Donald Trump is not an unknown quantity. His boorishness, egotism, and vulgarity were already the stuff of legend. Spy proved that he is a cheapskate as well.
edit on 4-7-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001
Ah Trump what a great man! (No that isn't sarcasm he truly is)

+34 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Do you really think that Donald Trump cashes checks?

I'm fairly certain he has staff that handles accounts receivable, and they would be the ones cashing all checks that come in to him.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc
Ah Trump what a great man! (No that isn't sarcasm he truly is)

He certainly thinks he is.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
Do you really think that Donald Trump cashes checks?

I'm fairly certain he has staff that handles accounts receivable, and they would be the ones cashing all checks that come in to him.

Are they authorized to sign his name on the back of a check? It was made out to him, personally, not his corporation. That was the whole point to the exercise.

+25 more 
link   

I've seen multi millionaires pick up quarters on the cement, they didn't get that way by not being frugal, it's engrained. I too will pick up lose change, I see no problem with it. Send me a check I'll cash it and go about my merry way.

link   

Oh no. A lot of us do. Except replace "thinks" with "know".

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

Oh no. A lot of us do. Except replace "thinks" with "know".

Does a great man evict a widow so he can build something with his name on it? Does a great man declare bankruptcy four times?

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

You're stretching here with this. Why do people have to go this far to put him down? how about, just quote his comments about letting the market crash and that he made money... or his comments regarding that disabled reporter, I mean you don't have to go far to show he has bellicose and at times off the wall rhetoric, but this actually lends to his support, that people are just trying to do hack jobs. Smh

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
You should read up on the good he's done. Oh, but that doesn't fit your agenda right...

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Yes, sometimes there are authorized signers, even a stamp.
A signature stamp with "Deposit Only" along with a bank account number is enough to deposit a check into an account.

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is the worst attempt at Trump bashing I have seen so far. And that is saying a lot for an election cycle based on the ludicrous.

But hey, keep trying if it makes you justify Hillary.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Why would anyone not take money, regardless of the amount, money is money.

Are they authorized to sign his name on the back of a check? It was made out to him, personally, not his corporation. That was the whole point to the exercise.

Yes they are, it's usually also just a stamp, not an actual signature by the way.

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm sure Trump personally signs and cashes every single check received by the 500+ companies he owns.

We have now officially scraped through the bottom of the barrel.
edit on 4-7-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

That's creepy, why not frame it and hang it on a wall as a gag?

Gin

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

It's a common practice in the business world, you know. A tactical move to stay afloat and company running. But guess it's new to you so go ahead and get enlightened.

Trump on Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Chapter 11 on Wiki
edit on 4-7-2016 by Gin because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
WoW! This is just so IMPORTANT. Did I ever tell you about the time I did NOT cash a one cent check? That's right! So in six months they cancelled it and sent me ANOTHER one and I didn't cash THAT one either! It absolutely sent the entire corrupt banking system into a tailspin!

Of course, it was all hushed up.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

I'm sure Trump personally signs and cashes every single check received by the 500+ companies he owns.

What part of "it was a check made out to Donald Trump" are you not understanding? Eventually, 56 other celebrities figured out that they were being pranked. Trump evidently did not.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It says 26 checked the checks lol. What 56? Out of 58, 26 cashed the checks.

What part of your own article don't you understand?
edit on 4-7-2016 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The responses to this thread prove what Trump himself said: he could stand on the street corner and shoot people and his supporters would still be behind him.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join