It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want some advice for taking in a feral/barn cat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
A friend lives on a farm with tons of feral cats, they mainly stay away except for a few that let humans come near them.

This sweet lil fella trying to hitch a ride in my car is Chuck Detective Mittens McGill. He's been my buddy since he was a kitten, and whenever I'm over at friend's house, he's instantly by my side for the pets.

There's a few snags though that prevents me from giving Chuck his forever home instead of perishing in the wild:

-My dad hates the hell out of cats, but this cat could win him over in time, but
-Chuck is obviously a boy kitty and he is not fixed (plan on if I ever get him to a vet). I'm also wary about him spraying/peeing and how to discourage it.
-Chuck has a cold, he sneezes and coughs, has a crusty booger nose which worries me that he might have something worse going on

I bonded with him, and he with me. I just want some advice/tips.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
He just needs to get to the vet for shots and to get fixed.
Feed him, care for him. I had a barn cat as my first pet as a little girl, loved her for all the 18 years she lived with us.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

Get it vaccinated immediately. Feral cats spend time mingling with animals prone to rabies.

I'm sad to say it, but that rhinusitus will likely never go away. It's a virul thing feral cats get. Had a couple feral rescues. A dry climate helps.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   

You have to neuter males when they are still kittens, around 6 months, otherwise they will spray if they have been in contact with a female in heat. Once that instinct turns on, you really can't turn it off. We had a gorgeous orange and white mittens Randall male, that was the problem we had, neutering after being in close proximity to a female started the spraying and it never stopped. Third hardest thing I had to do was take him back to the farm.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Best advice, take him in to a vet for a checkup, shots, and to be fixed. If he's sweet, that's already taken care of. As for spraying, a solo cat might not even do that, because they do it to mark territory. Fixed young can help, so if he's not grown, that's a plus. We have two males, both fixed before maturity, and they don't ever spray. Getting this fellow checked out is the safe route, and you can have him worm checked as well. Easy to treat, if any are present. Once he's got a clean bill of health, you have that as backup in the plan to win your dad over. My hubby claimed to not like cats, when we met, and the one I had, who liked almost NO ONE, went right to him. All we have had since adored him, as well. He hasn't claimed to not like them for years now.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I take in stray ferals , get them doctored up , then adopt them out,. Except for this last one. He isnt going anywhere

First stop : Vet . Always. Check for feline leukemia as it is feral .Fixed and vaccinated.It is cheaper to do those 3 at one time. He aint gonna like that.Check for ear mites and parasites. Both usually easily treatable

He sounds like he has a sinus infection. Cats get those just as well as humans . They also have allergies.As long as he isnt wheezing or having difficulty breathing . Check the ears , and bottom of the paws for a fever. They should just be fairly a little warm . The ears and paws are the way a cat evaporates heat so they may feel a little warm. Check the nose. Warm and dry ? Possible mild dehydration from the cold or what.

With that said , some feral/stray cats make the best pets.The one I was talking about does something that is very rare in cats. He will actually roll over for me to rub his tummy. Like I said , this one stays with me.

Spraying is another thing. That is usual for a cat. No good way to discourage it..Fixed is the keyword
Using the potty ? Just take a cat pan , fill it with litter , and set him in it. Make him stay and pet him while in. Repeat if needed. An aluminum basting (roast) pan and dirt works almost as well.

But the Vet is absolutely the first step.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

That may be ideal but neutering after that age and exposure can still be effective in causing male cats to not spray.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I'm glad you don't share your dad's cat hatred. I hate cat-haters.

You should take him to a vet to be neutered and for a regular exam/vaccines.

You shouldn't take him if you think your dad will be mean to him.

Do you have other cats?

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I have rescued several feral cats-one from an animal control center and it was scheduled to be killed. It was an awful animal control where the sick cats were infesting the well cats. This poor kitty was almost dead from pneumonia etc. We had to keep her away from our other dogs and cats as she was highly contagious. The vet gave us no hope but we insisted on meds etc and fed and gave meds including water with a dropper every 30 min. Took two weeks-we never left this kitty's side and she is now a very healthy, sweet, playful and loving member of our family-she even played mama to another 6 week rescue tabby we took in. Never give up-this kitty is completely healthy-a sick kitty is not always doomed to a lifetime of illness w/ a bout of lung/sinus infection.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: paperdoll

I'm glad you don't share your dad's cat hatred. I hate cat-haters.

You wouldnt have like me about 7 years ago. Until my wife took in the first feral. He just showed up in the yard hungry , scared and alone.A little kitten. Now he is a huge , healthy , really really spoiled member of the family.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
You already have some great advice in here but wanted to add... There is something they sell that stops cats from spraying. It's called feliway and comes in different forms like a diffuser, spray, collar and I think something else. There are so many people who hate cats until one shows up and adopts them. Your Dad will change his mind.

I could never have cats growing up because my Mother was allergic and didn't want any animals in the house. Well a couple of weeks before I got married I couldn't wait any longer and adopted one. My Mom wasn't too happy about that, but knew I was leaving soon. LOL She ended laughing at the kittens antics and saw how loveable it was. She even pet the kitty. For Mom, that was a big deal! When I told my fiancé we were going to have an adorable kitten, he didn't say I couldn't, but wasn't thrilled. They became the best of friends in no time. We have had cats ever since and have been married for almost 37 years. Cats have that certain kind of charm.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

I appreciate your dedication to abandoned animals, but facts is facts. I had one cat with virul sinusitis that was incurable. He was still the sweetest cat I ever owned.

People need to be prepared to deal with things.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: paperdoll

No. We had a dog at one point, but it was my stepbrother's, and he has since moved out

new topics

top topics

join