It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musings about animals and humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I do not know where this OP belongs, I will leave that to the Moderators, but I will write it.

I have a huge problem with perception of events that transpire and are reported to be a violation of people.

For instance, shark attacks. Okay, yes, when they happen they are very scary and can be devastating to those involved, witnesses and victims alike, but who here thinks it is the sharks fault? Did they come on land and attack unprovoked? NO. Humans invaded their territory and paid the price, it is not the sharks fault. Sharks own the ocean. It is their home. They have lived there for millennial, do humans live in the ocean? NO. So how is it we are so surprised and in an uproar when it happens? Because we are idiots. Surf the waves, swim among them, catch them and tag them for whatever reason, research them, dissect their stomach contents, but if you get bitten by one you asked for it.

The animal kingdom is full of stories where people have been attacked by animals living in their own habitation, only to have a public outcry when there is an attack; alligators, crocodiles, lions, tigers, snakes, elephants, etc. The animals are never at fault ever, no matter what, because they are only protecting what is theirs rightfully and behaving in a way that only they know how.

Animals do not kill for sport in their habitat, they kill for food and to protect their own species from extinction. Why do humans think it is okay for them to kill, but not for animals to do so? Animals do not deal in greedy commercial gains, humans do. Why do we get all teary eyed when the shark eats a walrus? Walruses eat penguins. Why do we get all emotional when a lion tracks down an antelope? Why do we think alligators are not entitled to find food?

The amount of hypocrisy that we humans propagate on a daily basis is laughable. We eat cows, chickens, fish, pork and do not even think twice about it, but if we watch a video of animals surviving and finding food to eat we think, OMG, poor Bambi. When is the last time you saw an animal with a gun hunting for the hell of it? Polar bears eat fish. Alligators eat snakes. Snakes eat mice. Humans cultivate animals. Animals do not cultivate humans. Humans experiment on animals. There is not a human zoo for animals to go feed the popcorn to.

If humans insist on invading animal territory like they do human countries, then they get what they deserve if an elephant stomps them or a bear rips their arms off. You like those alligator boots and handbags, huh? Those shoes you were made of snakeskin are cool. Those leather outfits you wear out on the town came from little lambs.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: forthelove

you bring up a fundamental element in my mindset: you cannot fault the snake for biting you. Thats what snakes do, and it isn't their fault.

That being said, as a being interested in self preservation, I absolutely am interested in keeping snakes out of my habitat, and am interested in reducing the count of predators that choose to use humans as a protein source.

If you look over the history (and prehistory) of man, we have made extinct all manner of creatures that were hazardous to humans because of predation. That is what humans do.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Great post!

I think pest exterminators are evil incarnate- Humans are the 'real' pests! Clean up your garbage and secure your home, perhaps the rodents won't bother you! Don't put up telephone poles and perhaps the crows won't shart on on your car! Put screens on your windows and perhaps the mosquitoes won't bite you while you sleep! I could go on and on and on...

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Have you ever seen a chicken coop after a weasel attack?
While I agree with you on most points, your point about animals not killing each other randomly simply doesn't hold water since there are any number of animals that do kill as long as there is prey. The feline and weasel families are such critters.
I think it's a damn, dirty shame that the animals involved in attacks or even in near encounters are often killed. On the other hand, a young brown bear just wandered into my step-daughter's yard about 5 minutes after my 7 yr. old grandson had come inside. People in the neighborhood say it is the first time they've ever seen a bear in that area but bears are plentiful in most of the Smoky Mountain region. I would hate to think that young bear might be shot just for being a teenaged bear, wandering about looking for action, but I would also hate to think what he might do to a kid playing in the back yard. I'm told by folks who live in bear country that juvenile bears are like juvenile humans---sometimes totally unpredictable.

top topics

join