It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mob burns down mosque in 2nd such recent attack in Myanmar !

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
OK Myanmar (for us old guys Burma) is primary a Buddhist country but they have a minority of Muslims called the Rohingya in the north. The government does not like their presence there and treats most as illegal immigrants from Bengal and other parts of Bangladesh. It seems like every year there is another flare up between the two religions and usually with the Rohingya getting the short end of the stick right between the eyes from the Buddhist majority. This latest happening according to the article, which came about because a Mosque was suppose to be moved or torn down to make room for a bridge. They did not move it so supposedly a mob burned it down..

There are approximately 1.3 to 1.5 million Rohingya who live in the northern part of Myanmar and even though the U.N. and even the USA have been all over Myanmar saying something to the effect "we all need to get along" it would seem the hatred runs deep in some sectors of the population. The last article I read (which was over a year ago) some shop owner got into and argument and the result was just about 125 Rohingya homes were burnt down.

I have no answers to their problems.. We had about 100 Muslim asylum seekers last year from China and the P.M. said this country has enough problems with Muslims without bringing more in. They were all put on a plane and shipped back to China for a fate I doubt was pleasant.

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) — A mob has burned down a mosque in northern Myanmar in the second such attack in just over a week in the predominantly Buddhist nation, a newspaper reported Saturday.

The state-owned Global New Light of Myanmar said security forces in Hpakant in Kachin state were unable to control Friday's attackers, who were armed with sticks, knives and other weapons.

It said the mosque's leaders had failed to meet a June 30 deadline set by local authorities to tear down the structure to make way for construction of a bridge.

On June 23, a mob demolished a mosque and a Muslim cemetery in a village in Bago Region, about 60 kilometers (36 miles) northeast of Yangon, reportedly as a consequence of a personal dispute.

newsletter.thaivisa.com...
edit on 727rdk16 by 727Sky because: ..

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Violence involving innocents is always wrong, but it does make me wonder, what in the hell do you have to do to piss off the Buddhists? I'd imagine some pretty jacked up stuff.
edit on 3-7-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Violence involving innocents is always wrong m, but it does make me wonder what in the hell do you have to do to piss off the Buddhists I'd imagine some pretty jacked up stuff.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Pissing of Buddhists is almost unheard of...I guess one thing you can say for Islamic Extremism is that it unites everyone else against them.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Pissing of Buddhists is almost unheard of
Maybe in the western world, but certainly not in Asia...Don't be fooled by their Orange Robes, they are just as violent as other religions in this volatile area of the world. They will take a " parang machete" to you as quick as look at you.....

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Violence involving innocents is always wrong, but it does make me wonder, what in the hell do you have to do to piss off the Buddhists? I'd imagine some pretty jacked up stuff.

Most in the West believe that grasshopper ! hahaha but remember the Chinese Shaolin Monks and many other sects of Buddhism are not push overs when it comes to their shops, land, or temples. I would agree for the most part the Buddhist seem to get long better than most religions as far as tolerance of others. But they are also the type of religious people who do not like problems and trouble makers. I have seen a couple of young bucks on a motor bike steal a woman's purse and try to get away.. They will think twice before they ever try that crap again...if they ever get out of the hospital...

You really can not paint all Buddhist with the same broad brush... just as you can not paint all Muslims with an ISIS brush.

I tend to agree with the PM who did not allow anymore into the kingdom. Muslims need to live with like minded Muslims for their religion just causes to many societal problems for everyone else who does not want to see things their way.. I spoke with a girl from Kazakhstan who was living in the states. I did not know Kazakhstan was predominately a Muslim country. We were talking about Europe and some of the published articles about the immigration problems. I said since your country is already Islamic you guys must not be having problems... Her reply was to shake her head and say, "No we have problems with terrorist because we are the wrong kind of Muslims for them the terrorist"!

For the others who might come around shortly "flame away" ! When you have people killed every month by Muslim bombs or bullets then you might change your mind about how we can all just get along.
edit on 727rdk16 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   

And here I thought Buddhism actually was a religion of peace.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Actually it is a religion of life.. They do not believe in a all seeing all every where sky fairy. Since it is a religion of life and peace they tend to like peaceful things and if you are the one causing unpeacefulness then you might get what you deserve.. I am not a Buddhist but have lived around them for many years.

My wife is Buddhist but I have no doubt she would slit someones throat if they broke into our home and had me down for the count.. Then she would go to the temple and pray for their afterlife !! hahahah

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   

I think its important to remember that countries like Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria have been mercilessly bombed (not including the drone attacks/bombings).

Everyone of these attacks were based on lies or politically motivated.

Besides the obvious devastation, these are DU or Depleted Uranium bombs making soil unusable, water undrinkable and causing genetic birth defects for centuries to come.

Hundreds of thousands if not millions have been killed. Millions have been displaced.

Not suggesting that nations be forced to accept refugees but at minimum, the US and NATO have to stop creating the conditions which are forcing people to flee.

Iraq:

Libya:

Syria:

edit on 3-7-2016 by gladtobehere because: pics

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Same with S. Thailand.

Some nasty stuff between them also.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Trust me my friend the USA's mid-eastern policies are enough to make me puke. Syria may be where it all comes to a head for so far Turkey and the other puppets of the West's "regime change" are not exactly winning if you look at a map of Syrian reclaimed territory since Russian war planes have been overhead.. youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   

True but Russia's entrance was after the fact.

It all began with the US' goal of overthrowing Assad...

edit on 3-7-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Buddhists are not immune to extremism nor bigotry and xenophobia. No group is.

Wikipedia

Now before I get accused of hating Buddhists, I embrace Buddhism and study it.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
so the site says its only a mob and a personal dispute ? just look at the comment section over there.

this has been going on forever and nobody talks about, just rarely, hundreds if not thousands of Muslims are killed every year not to mention those who had to leave there houses because the Buddhist burned them , and they are forced to leave , look it up so many videos are there on YouTube , they go to Thailand as refugees but they end up in prison or sold as slaves.

look at this report

This violence and anti-Muslim sentiment has taken place in Myanmar as a majority-Buddhism country. Headlines of "monks turn violent" in Myanmar suggest this is something unusual and new. This is not the case, and denies the fact that monks have been linked as instigators and perpetrators of violence against Muslims in the past. Western perceptions of Buddhism in Myanmar are still largely blinded by the shiny golden mirage of the pagodas, and the assumption that Buddhists must be peaceful, loving and good. The teachings of Buddhism are one thing, the actions of Buddhists and monks are at times another.

Taking a realistic look around the region at Buddhist-majority countries – from Sri Lanka to Thailand to Myanmar – would dispel the myth that violence is somehow unusual to Buddhism. In each of these Buddhist-majority countries, the minority Muslim community has faced tension and violence. Yet the West does not see this. Global concerns of the so-called Islamic State play into the stereotypes that Islam is violent and bad, and that in contrast Buddhism is perceived as peaceful and good. This is a stereotype that must be challenged.

but many thanks to the Australian government

In addition, the reports on the Rohingya are ignorant of the fact that a large number of Burmese Muslims (not Rohingya) have settled in Australia since 2005. The Australian government significantly increased its intake of refugees from the Thai-Burma border since 2005, where up to 20 percent of the refugee camps are populated by Burmese Muslims. These Muslims had their claims processed by UNHCR and were found to be legitimate refugees. In fact from 2007 to 2013, refugees from Myanmar were consistently among the top two nationalities accepted as part of the Australian government's offshore humanitarian program (the other country consistently in the top two being Iraq). Since the precarious transition to democracy, Muslim communities in Myanmar have been the primary targets of persecution. Australia has accepted significant numbers of refugees from Myanmar in the past, it is time to do so again.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE
so the site says its only a mob and a personal dispute ? just look at the comment section over there.

this has been going on forever and nobody talks about, just rarely, hundreds if not thousands of Muslims are killed every year not to mention those who had to leave there houses because the Buddhist burned them , and they are forced to leave , look it up so many videos are there on YouTube , they go to Thailand as refugees but they end up in prison or sold as slaves.

look at this report

This violence and anti-Muslim sentiment has taken place in Myanmar as a majority-Buddhism country. Headlines of "monks turn violent" in Myanmar suggest this is something unusual and new. This is not the case, and denies the fact that monks have been linked as instigators and perpetrators of violence against Muslims in the past. Western perceptions of Buddhism in Myanmar are still largely blinded by the shiny golden mirage of the pagodas, and the assumption that Buddhists must be peaceful, loving and good. The teachings of Buddhism are one thing, the actions of Buddhists and monks are at times another.

Taking a realistic look around the region at Buddhist-majority countries – from Sri Lanka to Thailand to Myanmar – would dispel the myth that violence is somehow unusual to Buddhism. In each of these Buddhist-majority countries, the minority Muslim community has faced tension and violence. Yet the West does not see this. Global concerns of the so-called Islamic State play into the stereotypes that Islam is violent and bad, and that in contrast Buddhism is perceived as peaceful and good. This is a stereotype that must be challenged.

but many thanks to the Australian government

In addition, the reports on the Rohingya are ignorant of the fact that a large number of Burmese Muslims (not Rohingya) have settled in Australia since 2005. The Australian government significantly increased its intake of refugees from the Thai-Burma border since 2005, where up to 20 percent of the refugee camps are populated by Burmese Muslims. These Muslims had their claims processed by UNHCR and were found to be legitimate refugees. In fact from 2007 to 2013, refugees from Myanmar were consistently among the top two nationalities accepted as part of the Australian government's offshore humanitarian program (the other country consistently in the top two being Iraq). Since the precarious transition to democracy, Muslim communities in Myanmar have been the primary targets of persecution. Australia has accepted significant numbers of refugees from Myanmar in the past, it is time to do so again.

Well in just about 20 years we will see how this influx of refugees works out for Australia. There are already problems with the Muslim enclaves from what my Aussie X-Pat friends tell me. Probably propaganda and just racist mean old X-Pats. If not, then like I said, it will not be long before Australian citizens will know how it all plays out.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

I don't think you need to do much to upset Budhist, they are not as nice as people claim they are
We don't study their violent history but it's there

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

I don't think you need to do much to upset Budhist, they are not as nice as people claim they are

People are just people but they (Buddhist) are not in the habit IMO of turning the other cheek to get struck again. After the first blow you have crossed the line....which I personally agree with. Many Buddhist countries are old cultures which fought wars with swords and spears. Most of those type cultures are extremely polite when dealing with each other on a personal basis as to not cause an affront ... Maybe it is because of this politeness that once a red line is crossed the proverbial gloves come off and they will expedite you to your next life; which hopefully you will have learned better manners by then !!!

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
There's been trouble in Myanmar for a while with this group.

The world boils it down to Buddhist v. Muslim, but I wonder if that's really the full story. I wonder if there hasn't always been friction between the dominant culture of Myanmar and the Rohingya, like they were these weird mountain people who don't look and act like we do ... smell funny, and then they went and embraced Islam on top of it all, so now they REALLY stick out like cultural sore thumbs.
edit on 3-7-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

It is. The violence is being incited by the 969 movement, which is primarily a nationalistic (ie; Ethno-Fascist) movement:

en.wikipedia.org...

The 969 movement uses Buddhism the way Erdogan uses Islam, Netanyahu uses Judaism, and Putin uses Orthodox Christianity. To them, religion is merely a unifying cultural characteristic to be exploited for the benefit of the State.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Although there were Asiatic empires that were officially Buddhist, spreading Buddhism was never a pretext for conquest. Generally, the rulers supported the monasteries, and in return, the religious leaders justified the rulers' actions.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
If you poked my guinea pig with a stick for long enough, it would bite you until you bleed, otherwise he's a lovely guy. Is everyone supposed to take islamic violence lying on their backs with 'thank you' cards?

Even abused women might one day hit their abusers over the head with an iron, even if they have never been violent in their life before.

There is a tipping point for everything.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join