It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Political Madness Voting No Longer Respected

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I too am concerned about this.

The govt's faffing about and continued and deliberate delay over invoking Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is actually strengthening the protesters' resolve. Our govt is not supporting democracy.

Govt needs to get on with its job because the situation is coming to the boil.

We need a general election and quickly, it's blatantly obvious this govt has no interest in invoking Article 50 and if it did invoke it, do we really need these people making half-hearted Brexit-negotiations for us with the EU? I certainly don't.

Our PM and government are not doing their job, they need to step up and the majority have spoken so LET'S GET ON WITH IT.
edit on 3-7-2016 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll

I too am concerned about this.

The govt's faffing about and continued and deliberate delay over invoking Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is actually strengthening the protesters' resolve. Our govt is not supporting democracy.

Govt needs to get on with its job because the situation is coming to the boil.

We need a general election and quickly, it's blatantly obvious this govt has no interest in invoking Article 50 and if it did invoke it, do we really need these people making half-hearted Brexit-negotiations for us with the EU? I certainly don't.

Our PM and government are not doing their job, they need to step up and the majority have spoken so LET'S GET ON WITH IT.

Yes democracy has spoken - but was the intention to take that away from us and nothing to do with being in/out of the EU at all?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   
They have been ramping this up from the start. Everything on the media before the referendum has been pro-remain with the focus mainly on how bad exit would be. With the democratic result of leave (which may or may not have been rigged) they can now say that the electorate cannot be trusted. Can the government really take away people's right to vote? If they can get the masses to protest enough, I guess anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I expected this.Keep your course Britain and remember your all British.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester
I am sure the generation that hit the beaches, which have pretty much passed on now, are rolling in their graves.

They fought to free Europe from occupation, and these brainwashed masses are welcoming their enslavement with 'loving', open arms.

It is sad, but history is repeating.
Remember....

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I would try and immigrate to the UK just to vote for TrueBrit.

Common sense is not so common in this world.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I heard right now, that if they would do a new voting about the referendum, at most 5% would switch from Leave to Stay atm.
How does that fit with the mass media reports?
It doesn´t! In the mass media it looks as if whole england(to say UK atm seems wrong) would vote with 100% for Stay now.
And who owns and dictates the mass media, the intellectual prostitutes?
The same old, greedy, rich people which profit from their toy EU, from anti democratic "solutions", from exploiting the people.

Just saying, as a not rightwinger but nevertheless as a EU critic.

And the whiny idiots who didn´t vote(for their future...), it´s their own fault if they don´t take part in votings when they are asked for! Sorry, but that´s it!
If my football team plays on saturdays, but i miss it because i have to do "more important" things on facebook and twitter(uploading pics from your meal, every meal, for example) and can´t get the reality outside of my spyPhone screen anymore, is it then the others fans fault? That fans that have been at the match when it took place?

When i wake up on sunday after the match, mentioning that i missed the match, can i ask for a replay then? A replay for hat match i missed because there were other things more important for me? Guess what would happen if i would ask the D(eutscher)F(ussball)B(und) for a replay, they would have a good laugh!

edit on 3 7 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Sorry, not British here but just curious... What do people not understand about a non-binding vote and why are people who disagree with the vote discouraged from voicing their opinions? They didn't lose by much.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Sorry, not British here but just curious... What do people not understand about a non-binding vote and why are people who disagree with the vote discouraged from voicing their opinions? They didn't lose by much.

Then why have that vote?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

It may be non binding though we expect, when we vote in a referendum for the result to be honoured, otherwise what's the point in having the things?

I can guarantee if the result had been to remain, we would have heard bugger all about how referendums are non binding.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

So, if this a reason, "lost by not much", how can any western government be then, without endless votings?
And if it even is 0.01%, lost is lost, not voted is not voted?

edit on 3 7 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

What do people not understand about a non-binding vote and why are people who disagree with the vote discouraged from voicing their opinions?

We were asked our opinion , we gave it and now expect our decision to be implemented , that was the understanding about the referendum.
People are fully entitled to demonstrate , if the feeling was that strong in the country we would have seen hundreds of thousands on the streets rather than a few tens.

They didn't lose by much.

Nevertheless they lost , the majority of those who voted voted out and the majority rules in a democracy.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Dam shame there is now way to tel those remainians how much damage the EU has done to the working class of Britain, the engine drivers, delivery men, farmers, shop workers, nurses, doctors, dock workers, street cleaners, those who do have manufacturing job, (not many of those now) whats left of the fishing fleet, bakers, anyone else?
Cadburys has moved to Poland with an EU grant.
Ford transit has moved to Turkey, with an EU grant, Turkeys isn't even in the EU!
Jaguar land rover agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia, with an EU grant, owned by TATA steel, who wrecked the British steel industry.
Peugeot closed its plant in England and moved to Slovakia, with an EU grant.
British army's new AFV 'Ajax' to be built in Spain, with Swedish steel, instead of Wales.
Dyson has moved to Malaysia with an EU loan.
1,200 jobs lost at 'crown closures' in Bournmouth, gone to Poland with a grant from the EU'
Hornby models gone to the far east, taken its patents with it, helped by a loan from the EU.
London airports are Spanish owned, as the france/German axis owns some of the British uitilities.
M & S manufacturing gone to the far east with an EU loan.
fed up with typing.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I'm not saying the vote shouldn't be honored only that it doesn't have to be and that with nearly half the UK voting to stay the non binding part is going to be an issue because obviously some are passionate about staying.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I'm not saying the vote shouldn't be honored only that it doesn't have to be and that with nearly half the UK voting to stay the non binding part is going to be an issue because obviously some are passionate about staying.

Thing is, the difference was approx 13 cities the size of Gloucester. So that's not all that close.

As for the demos, it's always the left.
They were out after the last general election too.
Whenever they feel they lose they have to get out and wreck stuff.
You never saw tories clogging up London after labour won.
It's a question of emotional maturity.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

It would be a less than 2% swing (and since when is population of Gloucester a unit of measurement?)

If the results had the other way round you really think UKIP would have disbanded and the sceptic wing of the Tory party would all have never mention the EU again.

It was an incrediblely close result and you can't just put a stop on democracy when you get the result you want. If Camerons succesor calls a general election and a pro EU party wins a majority what then?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

The Right wrecks stuff with policy and I'm pretty sure I've seen plenty of UKIP marches causing all kinds of trouble. Freedom can be messy and inconvenient. Non binding referendums give the losing side wiggle room... that's part of Democracy too.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
YarlanZey:

Can the government really take away people's right to vote? If they can get the masses to protest enough, I guess anything is possible.

I've been giving this some thought over the last week, and to answer your question directly, yes they can and probably would with the right reason and a large compliant support.

In the other post I made regarding emergency powers, it's not a matter of us actually descending into civil war by which they can be invoked, but simply from a belief that we might. If we do actually descend into civil war, the emergency powers will be irrelevant, we'll be at war with each other, but I have a feeling in that scenario, EU countries would aid those that wanted to remain, that's how important it is to them.

Right now, the completion of the democratic vote through the invoking of Article 50 of the referendum has been tactically suspended until at least the Tory leadership campaign has been settled. In legal terms, you can have as many referendums as you want, they are not binding, but traditionally they have been respected, because to not respect their result would be to cause one hell of a mess politically and socially.

The 'leave' vote won the day on issues of principle and morality. Abstract concepts that inspire nation building or nation defence. The 'remain' vote lost equally on the same issues, because what they want are temporary satisfactions of the body, not of the mind or soul. They voted on the debase aspects of economy and lost. They have this idea that all nationalities can sit around a campfire and sing 'Kum-by-ah' to each other, but the world is not ideologically in sync for that to happen, and it won't be ready for a very long time...if ever.
edit on 3/7/16 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

These kids will get bored and go home in a few days or lose intrest as soon as the next iphone comes out.

There wont be civil war from leaving.

But those who voted leave could get violent.

There is more chance of violence and riots from ignoring the vote.
edit on 3-7-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

It would be a less than 2% swing (and since when is population of Gloucester a unit of measurement?)

If the results had the other way round you really think UKIP would have disbanded and the sceptic wing of the Tory party would all have never mention the EU again.

It was an incrediblely close result and you can't just put a stop on democracy when you get the result you want. If Camerons succesor calls a general election and a pro EU party wins a majority what then?

I was making a comparison between what some people say is a tiny number and a real world visualisation of what the number represents. I picked Gloucester cos I live near there and it has a population of approx 110k.

13 cities that size aren't inconsequential.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join