It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Fashion Police

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Anybody who is interested enough in what we have said here and go back and read our comments. Your imagination is running wild.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

My imagination?

So, you didn't say this on page one?

Politeness is the least they can do. Don't scare people by dressing in this way associated with terrorists,

To which I replied:

don't speak one's native language in public (if Middle Eastern) or dress as one would always dress (if traditionally) to avoid scaring people even though it's....natural for you[?] And you're in...America[?]

Pretty sure I didn't "imagine" those quotations.

They shouldn't have to feel like they have to change, simply because Americans are too stupid and afraid to not associate them with terrorists.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of the police, and not a fan of a violent religious sect but it seems to me that LE can just do this and face no consequences for cuff and stuffing a person who is just innocently standing there.

They couldn't just observe the gentleman and determine he was not doing anything wrong? I mean we have tatted up GB-ers on street corners and people openly carrying ARs and they are not messed with (except sporadically).

I think LE in Avon needs retraining.

edit on 3-7-2016 by Maverick7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester
There are those who OP topics just to solicit division and anger. Anymore when I read any sort of controversial OP, often times I look at the Author's site to examine previous posts. I'm sure those of us here long enough employ this in preparation to a response.
I thought it would have clear I saw you in a good light, not shades of grey or combative. No insult or inference was implied. If you took one, my apology. This certainly was a difficult OP with really, no winners. The man was definitely mal-treated, but yet what was the alternative...?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

This thread is a microcosm of America nowadays. There are statements made as if they were fact or implied. I have requested links to those statements. None surfaced.

If I wait long enough, I could end up with a link to a forwarded email stating same "facts", "opinions as facts", and implications, but not any of it the truth of the matter! I could also be directed to "news" sites with same "facts", "opinions as facts" and implications. Echo chamber "news" doesn't make it true.

Americans nowadays do not understand the difference about facts and opinions in media. What used to be good journalism either now isn't or it isn't journalism at all. Having a website/blog does not a journalist make. Some blame rests on the degradation of traditional media chasing after the lowest common denominator for profit. News is too often what used to be in "people" section, not "newsworthy".

Anyway, I also want to say, that IMO it may not necessarily be true that the woman intentionally gave false info; she may have believed it to be true, bad enough. Sure thing, though, that the city and police will CYA. What a mess!

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Maverick7

Really. Former VP Dick Cheney's "!% Doctrine" that helped the push for the Iraq Invasion seems to have filtered down: even if there is only a 1% chance of something happening, we need to act without "evidence or extensive analysis".

It would be interesting to hear the 911 call and any LE response. Did LE believe in immediate action, that the man was a suicide bomber? Did LE think that they would look good to "capture" a terrorist? What determined their actions?

Local LE gets America involved in international affairs.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

I agree, for the most part.

Confusing opinion with fact certainly *is* a microcosm of American society and politics. One simple reason for this, I think: People are unable to think for themselves. Period.

While traditionally journalists are supposed to be the purveyors of factual information so that it many properly inform its citizens, good journalism has largely been thrown out of the window in favor of partisan punditry. There are few good journalists anymore, but far too many pundits whose opinions are disguised as "fact," and that's where many people get their...information.

Why? Because the "news" is now a business model more than ever since the advent of the 24/7 news cycle that *has* to constantly fill its airwaves with whatever BS it can to keep people watching. Sure, we had the days of yellow journalism, which was a business model itself, but it seems to have now become even more sinisterly commonplace (and therefore accepted) along with that punditry and the 24/7 news cycle.

And it perpetuates itself, in large part because...people can't think for themselves.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Yep. We've created a society of "Yes Citizens". Intellectual laziness. Emotion based reporting. Never questioning. What is that old saying I remember, "They treat me like a mushroom. Keep me in the dark and feed me manure."

Look, what got the press in trouble during the Viet Nam war years was reporting facts. Body counts, interviewing soldiers without being "inbedded" (sic). Facts are what made people upset and take action.

What happened after 1980 was the press pulling back and govt setting the rules for press interaction. Citizens got used to someone telling them how to think and/or not realizing they were being kept in the dark and fed manure (and not just by govt but by corporate astroturf groups springing up).

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I am glad you started this thread!... and I love your title!, sense of humor, good
..... The topic certainly covers a lot of what is happening these days in America. Fear, suspicion, quick actions taken, police, dress, language, Middle East. Certainly puts America in a bad light internationally.... again... and should make for discussion about what kind of country do we want. Glad you put this news out there for us.

Now that I think of it, I remember another incident

Alabama Cop Arrested for Takedown That Left Indian Man Partially Paralyzed

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

You are trying your best to make me out to be something that I am not. I really don't appreciate it. You are cherry picking every little word, which renders you apparently unable to see the forest for the cherries.

You need to back off. You are making insinuations and oversimplifying a person of whom you know nothing, and insist upon casting me according to what you choose. I've had enough of you.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join