It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard President: "Differences Between The Sexes" Explain Why Fewer Women In Math And Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Lawrence H. Summers, president of Harvard University, has come under fire for comments he made regarding women. Speaking at an economic conference, Summers stated that differences between the sexes account for the lack of women that succeed in math or science. He further questioned if discrimination played a role in the disparity. Several people in the audience walked out and a majority of the other speakers said that they were offended by the remarks.

story.news.yahoo.com
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The president of Harvard University prompted criticism for suggesting that innate differences between the sexes could help explain why fewer women succeed in science and math careers.

Lawrence H. Summers, speaking Friday at an economic conference, also questioned how great a role discrimination plays in keeping female scientists and engineers from advancing at elite universities.

The remarks prompted Massachusetts Institute of Technology biologist Nancy Hopkins — a Harvard graduate — to walk out on Summers' talk, The Boston Globe reported.

"It is so upsetting that all these brilliant young women (at Harvard) are being led by a man who views them this way," Hopkins said later.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have no doubt that a resignation will be pending. This guy managed to offend everybody with his remarks. The best excuse given was by the organizers of the conference which explained that they wanted him to be provocative and that he was there as a economist, and not as the president of the University. At any rate I think he provoked his way out of a job.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
He is full of Sh...........it, ok, that is not true my daughter is very good in maths and sciences and that is why she is majoring in it, and by the way is plenty of girls in her college that are also in her classes with her.

By the way she is an A student.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This kindof confirms my general opinion of academics in general (I may be considered on one my dual masters is finished but thats another story). They simply should not be allowed to speak in public with the aid of a preapproved skit. They have no clue as to how or why the real worl functions.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
You knwo FredT, is something wrong when a Girl can not get anywhere in society when she has brain, smart women in our society are discriminated at.

And you know how bad it is when the "Harvard President" comes out publicly and make a statement like that.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Isn't it pretty much established fact that males generally do better in math and science (left brained activities) and females do better in English and the arts (right brained activities)? Of course these are only generalities.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This guy sounds like a real creep. I saw this earlier today and just shook my head.

Wonder if he'd sing the same tune if a female doctor saved his life after an illness or injury? Medicine is a science, after all.

I certainly hope at least a sincere public apology is forthcoming, if not his resignation.

Sheesh.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

BOSTON - Lawrence Summers' bluntness has earned him both enemies and admirers in several top Treasury Department jobs and now as president of Harvard.

He's rarely been one to apologize for his directness — until this week. Summers has spent much of the last few days saying sorry following a tumult over comments he made at a conference on women in science that he thought were off the record.

Summers insists his remarks about possible biological differences in scientific ability between men and women have been misrepresented — that he wasn't endorsing a position, just stating there is research that suggests such a difference may exist. But his words have sparked wide discussion on Harvard's campus and a string of angry calls and e-mails.
Sorry

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I use to work in a lab and we had plenty of female employees, roughly a 2:3 ratio.

Truth be told, i attended university for electronics engineering and out of 205 course students divided into 4 classes only 6 of them were females, yes a grand total of 6 women. If you know electronics, it heavily comprises of math/science equations.

Just throwing my two cents in there that i collected along the paths of life.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
I use to work in a lab and we had plenty of female employees, roughly a 2:3 ratio.

bah thats nothing, im a nurse. the ratio is 100 to one

new topics

top topics

join