It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Screw climate change

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Screw climate change, there's about a thousand other reasons we should care about polluting the earth - our air and water quality and health standards, cheaper and better technology to help us travel and power our houses, the ability to rely on things that are infinite.

Cleaning the world up and using renewable energy and such isn't partisan. It isn't science. We currently rely heavily on oil and coal and those who "provide" and we could quite easily severe that plague of a relationship and make everything better , cheaper, cleaner, renewable. Take down a corporate giant at the same time as creating many new sectors ranging from electric powered vehicles to cheaper solar energy.

This isn't to say I don't care about climate change, I mean it is a topic to talk about itself, but due to the controversial nature of it, the unreliability of paid scientists on both sides, the evidence showing earth has its own cycles etc etc.. It's not the topic that will change things. There won't be enough people agreeing that humans are impacting it majorly and that we need to change...

However, tell them their electric bill could be cheaper, and their car could run on that electricity all while they can breathe fresher air and drink cleaner water.... I think that's a real topic we can come together on.

What do you think?

-deadlyhope

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Yah really.

What happened to the environmentalists who cared about pollution, cancer causing plastics and the depletion of minerals/nutrients in our soil.

Also this:

Media inadvertently admits the Sun's role in "climate change".

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Yah really.

What happened to the environmentalists who cared about pollution, cancer causing plastics and the depletion of minerals/nutrients in our soil.

Also this:

The good old hippie movement is still around. Yet we have been silenced and overshadowed by something we even accept as wrong. Climate change. Unless we do something to curb the other sh** that is being (and has been) laid upon us , we are not going to make the 300 years or so for the climate change effect
Agreed

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Well, in the US their efforts have been pretty effective in getting legislation in place to drastically reduce air pollution and water pollution, but environmentalists still are around. Except maybe that soil depletion thing. Was that really a thing with environmentalists?

Also this:
Yeah.

In the more recent article, they even say that the sun is the "main driver of climate and weather".
As if anyone has ever said it isn't. An OP based on a straw man argument.

edit on 7/3/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

laid upon us , we are not going to make the 300 years or so for the climate change effect
We're seeing the effects. But but by the end of this century there will be a lot more. At this rate, in 300 years things will be very, very bad.

I live by the waterside. In the past five years high tides have been getting higher than I've ever seen them. My yard is going away.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
There are a lot of other things that could bring on a near ELE event a lot faster than Climate Change. Not even counting natural events

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Yes. But not many are worried about climate change being an ELE. The worry is about it really mucking up the civilization we've created. Making things worse, in many cases a whole lot worse, for a whole lot of people.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Screw climate change...What do you think?

Depends on what you mean by climate change, it is a loaded and miscommunication phrase of words now a days, its so misconstrued by human nonsense that its meaningless to bother listening to people on it that's for sure.

So what do I think? I think you don't screw climate change. Climate change screw you.

I think people take it for granted that they can just go outside all willy nilly and play in the green grass and blue sky without dying if you stay to long out there. That was not always so, nor will it always be so. Enjoy your time in the sun, while it lasts. The good news is? Humans dont live that long so they wont bother or even notice such things. So in a way you could say that everything is all honky dory.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   

I am fine with clean energy and limiting particulate pollution, but when someone starts trying to limit CO2, O2 and other common gasses as pollution then we are on a different page.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Yes soil depletion is at all time high across the planet from a combination of clear felling forests and farming's over reliance on manufactured fertilisers.
Farmers are desperate for more organic structure in their soils but typically legislation forbids the addition of much manure/compost etc (The farmers would be asking me for a good couple of inches coverage but legally we can apply a dusting - about 22T per 10,000m2 from memory - been out that game for a few years now) This is mainly due to the previous over application of fertilisers (N,P,K) which then runs off the fields and contaminates groundwater and local water courses causing extensive Eutrophication.

Eutrophication is the enrichment of an ecosystem with chemical nutrients, typically compounds containing nitrogen, phosphorus, or both. Eutrophication can be a natural process in lakes, occurring as they age through geological time. Eutrophication was recognized as a pollution problem in European and North American lakes and reservoirs in the mid-20th century. Human activities can accelerate the rate at which nutrients enter ecosystems. Runoff from agriculture and development, pollution from septic systems and sewers, and other human-related activities increase the flux of both inorganic nutrients and organic substances into terrestrial, aquatic, and coastal marine ecosystems (including coral reefs).

This often causes algae bloom which can suffocate all other life in the affected water.

I actually went to over to Nigeria a few years back to meet their Environmental Minister about using wastes to help reduce soil erosion (particularly along river banks where we looked at using all the left over husks/shells from coconuts to make sort of mats to stake in/along the edges)

edit to add this link Link to european soil report 2012

edit on 3-7-2016 by johnb because: as above

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

Yes soil depletion is at all time high across the planet from a combination of clear felling forests and farming's over reliance on manufactured fertilisers.
You are conflating issues. The first is about erosion, the second is about farming practices. While poor farming techniques can and do indeed cause the depletion of "nutrients/minerals" I don't recall it being an issue for environmentalists.

And, while problems of fertilizer runoff are an environmental problem it was not something mentioned in the post I was replying to.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Yes, please! When I was young (back in the dinosaur days), we talked about the ecology. "Give a hot, don't pollute!", "Only you can prevent forest fires.", (thank you, Smokey the Bear), and that sort of thing. Keeping the water clean, watching out for air pollution, and that sort of thing, were the focus. Who couldn't get behind that?!?!? When we camped, the first thing we did was to go around the site, looking for small bits of trash, and collecting them. Our dad would pay us per piece, and more for metal. We got some money, and a nice, clean campsite. Hiking, we were careful to pack out our trash.

These days, I'd love to save on electric, and while I sorely miss my big old engine, the mileage was terrible. Affordable sources, preferably my own, would be great! I'd love solar panels and/or wind power. It's not affordable for most, though, and millions that could be spent making it so are wasted on "global warming/climate change". As if we could change the sun, which is THE biggest factor in global temps.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

As if we could change the sun, which is THE biggest factor in global temps.

Do you have some evidence which shows that changes in the Sun have occurred which can account for rising temperatures? There are many who would like to see it. Because, you know, a lot of people have been saying that but no one seems to have any evidence to support it.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Your memories are the exact same as mine. I totally support cleaning up garbage at the park or making sure we kept our outdoor areas clean, but this stuff they worry about now a days isn't the same.

Keeping our water clean and safe to drink and our air safe to breathe I am totally down for, but they can stuff their greenhouse gasses and climate change.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

but they can stuff their greenhouse gasses and climate change.

Yeah. Because if you can't see it, it's not happening. Right?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Yah really.

Also this:

Pretty funny the suns role. Every day it rises and sets, the earth warming and cooling as it rotates. Thats a pretty big effect the sun has on climate there.

Every winter it gets a lot colder and during the summer a lot hotter. Rain turns to snow in the winter, snow melts every spring, wow.

I agree with you and the OP. This is distraction from the real huge problems of industrial pollution.

Everywhere we look, there is coal fired power plants, mountain top coal mining removal, industrial mining, chemical industrial agriculture, deforestation, oil drilling, spilling, fracking.

Places trains and automobiles, shipping, nuclearpower, wars, jet exhaust blocking the suns light.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

laid upon us , we are not going to make the 300 years or so for the climate change effect
We're seeing the effects. But but by the end of this century there will be a lot more. At this rate, in 300 years things will be very, very bad.

I live by the waterside. In the past five years high tides have been getting higher than I've ever seen them. My yard is going away.

Yeah your not the only one,this pic is from a storm a week or so ago,your looking at the collaroy on the northern beaches of Sydney

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Thats called erosion.

None of the beaches look the same as I remember them when I was a kid. They are gone.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That looks like the breakwater failed, eroding the sand was easy after that.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It was a pretty massive storm coupled with high tides....www.sbs.com.au...

Sydney's northern beaches lost up to 40 metres of coastline in the massive storms that pounded the NSW coast on the weekend, and it's not over yet. It has been 40 years since Sydney has seen such fierce storms and the residents of beachside communities like Narrabeen and Collaroy have been left counting the cost.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join