It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today’s zeitgeist: One word to explain the world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
What is fueling nationalist movements around the globe? What is the root cause of Brexit, the crises in the Middle East, and the Donald Trump phenomenon? What do you think can be the zeitgeist of today -- a single word to explain the world?.

The German word zeitgeist means the spirit of the age and connotes a dominant drive embedded in the minds of the members of any society in a particular period of time that motivates their actions. To make an educated guess, let’s see what they have in common. Racism and economic grievances can be considered plausible candidates, but they have been around since at least the dawn of the century. They cannot be translated into tangible collective realities without a powerful force, something like a great war or depression, momentous enough to transform them into mass movements. It is worth remembering that the world has already experienced big wars and recessions, and social democracy and liberal movements can be viewed as the consequences of such sufferings.[/exWhat about globalization and technological advances? Can they justify the anguish and anxiety that enforce the majorities to move the history in reverse gear and ride the world back to the political ferment of the first few decades of the 20th century? Industrialization and automation may have led to unemployment – and thus economic woes -- in some societies, but what is the underlying sentiment that makes the middle class move from global liberalism to local populism?] In his Lectures on the Philosophy of History, Philosopher Georg Hegel said that “no man can surpass his own time, for the spirit of his time is also his own spirit."

When the zeitgeist of an era is xenophobia, it is upon each and every of us to wake up more mindful in the universe and fight irrational alienation; moving from the bigotry on the basis of national origins to thinking well of our fellow species.www.presstv.ir...

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

When the zeitgeist of an era is xenophobia, it is upon each and every of us to wake up more mindful in the universe and fight irrational alienation; moving from the bigotry on the basis of national origins to thinking well of our fellow.

There is so much wrong with the above sentence.

I don't see Nationalism as xenophobia, but the desire of human beings to live free of external political influences and cultures that don't fit our national identity. I enjoy living among patriotic, like-minded individuals. This isn't about race or religion, but culture.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I do not enjoy living with these fools. most 'patriots' are for the US government, not the american dream.

I'm curious to see how they react when they're no longer useful and treated as dog food for their owners.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MetallicusI don't see Nationalism as xenophobia.

Pretty much the textbook definition.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas

Pretty much the textbook definition.

Well if the fact I am appreciating the culture I grew up in somehow triggers you then I am okay with that...I am going to do what makes me happy in life.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

The link you provide and its content is the very kernel of the problem.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Your prerogative to criticize, however you may like to add a few more threads than you have in 2016 to enlighten my knowledge further.......

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Awakening

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

originally posted by: LeonidasPretty much the textbook definition.

Thats not what the textbook says

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   
The one word that sums up this world today, and goes beyond borders, politics and religion, is the word SNAFU which is short for the phrase Situation Normal; All F**ked Up, which was originally a military term, as far as I am aware.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Zeitgeist is german but well if people are harrases by immigrants I think xenophobia is a logical result.

However xenophobia is not a phobia in the sense that it isn't a medical condition. If I see how much forgeiners are in the west (america & europa) it is hard to believe that xenophobia is omnipresent. However xenophobia is a real issue in most Arabic countries.Saoedi Arabia is very close to Syria and didn't take that many refugees why ? Also to talk about Brexit and Nationalism isn't fair.... Compare this to the nationalism in Turkey, and many other Arabic countries and the reason for a Brexit comes very clear.

Why should Britain be in a club with Turkey that refuses to accept the armenian genocide ?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39
a reply to: CJCrawley

Your prerogative to criticize, however you may like to add a few more threads than you have in 2016 to enlighten my knowledge further.......

It's not mandatory to do threads, and I will do one if and when I feel like.

However, If I had made a thread and a member posted a critical comment, I would want to know why. Possibly debate the point.

Your lack of curiosity is baffling.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
There seems to be a lot of intolerance around. To different lifestyles, nationalities religions
And political persuasions. None of us is perfect. I have my own biases and bigotries that I'm sure some of my friends have picked up on, but I try my best to be as nice as I can.

I haven't got long left and do not wish to piss anymore people off. I apologise to anyone who may have caught me in a bad mood. I sometimes fall back on insults or condescension if I'm losing an argument. Take it as a compliment, that's what I have to lower myself to. I won't name names, just apologise for being a bit of a dick sometimes. It's why I used to get beaten up at school sometimes. Being a cheeky knob, but my time is running short now, so don't wish to make any enemies or leave on a bad note with anyone.

top topics

join