It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will my old HP printer work with Windows 10 ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Two year old HP computer with an 8 year old HP 'all in one' printer. Hp website says it will work and 800 number I called said after I update drivers it should be alright.

But I still have my doubts - When I bought the computer new there was a very long download to update it to Windows 8 and something keeps telling me
there might be problems if I change the browser to Winsows 10.

Does anyone know whether this is a real concern?- I don't want to mess up my all in one [includes a fax] - is this something to worry about?
I hesitate to go to Windows 10 anyway and if I think it will cause problems with my printer/fax machine I will not do it.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Deleted, sorry...
edit on 2-7-2016 by Orionx2 because: WTF...

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Mine works. I have a much older HP Laserjet 2000 series and also a newer color laserjet all-in-one. They both work just fine on my Win 10 machine. Both printers are physically hooked to a Win 7 machine and hooked to the house network via WiFi.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Probably. It will probably even keep track of how many times you flush your toilet and send the info to the MS mothership.

(Disclaimer - That was intended as a joke but it wouldn't surprise me if it did)

But yes. Most likely the printer will have basic functionality. Whether or not the full HP software suite will work with W10 would be up to them, I guess. I have an old AI1 HP printer and I always hated the bloated software that came with it. I usually don't install it because I never really use the scanner for anything but copying (which works with a button). The basic printer functions all seem to work without the rest of the software on Windows and Linux. Don't have Windows 10 so I can't comment.

edit on 2-7-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

If HP says it will work, and the drivers are available, then you "should" be good to go. If not, you can always install Windows 7 in a virtual environment inside Windows 10, and use your printer that way. That's the easiest route to go.

This guide will show you how to use a virtual machine. Just substitute your Windows 7 installation discs for the Windows XP download:

www.download3k.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

If in doubt buy a new printer. Or get an old laptop with XP, Vista, or win 7 on it and use that for your print jobs. There's a bunch of new printers out there for $100 or less.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

If HP says it will work, and the drivers are available, then you "should" be good to go. If not, you can always install Windows 7 in a virtual environment inside Windows 10, and use your printer that way. That's the easiest route to go.

This guide will show you how to use a virtual machine. Just substitute your Windows 7 installation discs for the Windows XP download:

www.download3k.com...

However the overhead for running a VM just for a printer is not worth it.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
From what I have seen, old printers are usually recognised, and, sometimes, installing old drivers work, even if you have to disable the "do not allow unsafe drivers" (or something like that) Windows feature.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Yes, the guy at the 800 number supposedly working for HP said it will work as long as you install the new drivers which are available. - But it took hours to download this printer to a windows 8 machine from an XP machine, and something tells me
there may be problems if I go to Windows 10.

But back to a basic question which has been discussed here in other posts - I'm happy with Windows 8 - And I never use the Mcrosoft browser anyway - always using Chrome or Firefox.

So why should I go to 10

When I bought this computer with 8 installed Google had a program where I was able to take my entire browser from my old XP machine and transfer it intact to the new windows 8 machine - If I switch to windows 10 will that same browser still work intact with all the links I had on Chrome with the 8.1 browser

And again why should I take what I bought [windows 8] and change to a different browser when I'm satisfied with what I have

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   

A change of operating system is more than just a change of browser, if you change from Windows 8 to Windows 10 you are going to see several differences. You may like them or not, so I suggest you look for more information about Windows 10 before you make a decision.

If your main browser is Google Chrome then you are not going to see any changes in your browsing habits, Chrome works in Windows 10 in the same way it works in Windows 8.

But, if you are happy with Windows 8 there isn't really any reason for upgrading.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

That is what I keep thinnkiing - Why change, if I am satisfied with what I have?

BUT, I can think of one reason - Since 10 is the new kid on the block and is being highly touted by Microsoft - they might
discontiue supporting 8 a long time before they stop supporting 10

For how long does MS guarantee support for an operating system? Five years, ten years, or whenever they feel like it

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
BUT, I can think of one reason - Since 10 is the new kid on the block and is being highly touted by Microsoft - they might
discontiue supporting 8 a long time before they stop supporting 10

That's the natural thing to do, as Windows 8 appeared before Windows 10.

For how long does MS guarantee support for an operating system? Five years, ten years, or whenever they feel like it

Five years for what they call "Mainstream Support", the one that, besides fixes includes adding new features, followed by another five years of "Extended Support", during which they only publish security fixes.

Windows 8.1 (the updated version of Windows 8) Mainstream Support ends January 9, 2018, Extended Support ends on January 10, 2023, so you still have some years ahead.

top topics

join