It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Online herd mentality...or, as I prefer to call it, Group Think

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:37 PM
is it a snowflake forum ?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:41 PM
a reply to: Orionx2

I'm still confused as to why the rover ran over the bike in the first place.

Edit: NM I looked it up.
edit on 2-7-2016 by Autorico because: added stuffs

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:53 PM
a reply to: nullafides

But, to be honest...I wouldn't be surprised one bit if something similar happened here.

You mean getting a dog pile going? Me neither...

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:42 PM

originally posted by: Autorico
a reply to: Orionx2

I'm still confused as to why the rover ran over the bike in the first place.

Edit: NM I looked it up.

I hope you get my point. Like minded people will back like minded people even if they know they are wrong.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:02 PM

As you might guess . . . I'm super keenly aware of the phenomenon.

I've taken great piles of horse biscuits for decades because of it.

And, yes, it HAS gotten worse. Much worse.

It used to be a lot worse hereon. Thankfully, the moderating insisting on civility has curtailed it quite a fair amount. But I just got more flack from that orientation within the last 24 hours, hereon. I didn't take it lying down. LOL.

I believe that the GROUP THINK--more like GROUP NON-THINK--mentality is due primarily to 2 factors:

1. As confirmed via a friend this week--the oligarchy is deliberately dumbing down individuals via the EDUCATION DEPT!

2. And, they have been lobotomizing the public via the media for decades. It is still mind boggling to me that "Dancing with the Stars" is more important to so many people than the future of our lives and country.

3. The media have been used to cultivate particular clusters of GROUP NON-THINK for decades.

4. And, the media has been very useful in raising up the Religion of Scientism and trashing authentic traditional Christianity. The GROUP NON-THINK IS MOST FIERCE around those two topics/issues.

5. But mostly, it's a modern version of "bread and circuses" . . . . which should be no surprise given that the oligarchy has been traced back to Rome . . . and probably Babylon.

6. The Supreme Boss declared 2,000 years ago that the era that saw Israel return to its lands would also be an era of incredible delusion--that the average God-rejecting populace, citizen, individual would be given over to a very deluded mind. Part of that delusion is to be consumed by and rendered politically ignorant and inert or a useful idiot by GROUP NON-THINK.

originally posted by: nullafides
So, I had something interesting happen recently.

On a rather well known site, I have an account. On the discussion forum I was participating on, I happened to sign my posts with a "sig".

The response, was amazing. Apparently, something along the lines of ending a post with "Sincerely, nullaFides" truly enraged the other members.

I was told by many who felt the need to send me a private message...that I was being obnoxious. That it appeared I was somehow better than anyone else, or at least that I felt I was. Many even warned me that they'd complain to the board moderators so as to have my access to the forum revoked.

All because I dared to be somewhat different, and not follow the herd.

Because I ended my posts with the equivalent of "Sincerely, nullaFides". Apparently, it really caused mental anguish and distress to many others.

Eventually, I found myself unable to post. I contacted a mod about it. Very kurtly, his response was "Well, you have to understand that you are in our home. We expect things to be a certain way. If you went into a friends house who liked people to take their shoes off before walking on the carpet, would you defy that custom?"

My response was that a "sig" on my post was hardly offensive to anyone. That it was merely different.

The mod then put a 24 hour ban on my account, for daring to say that to him.

So folks....are we really all just sheep? Is it so utterly necessary to drink the koolaid? To be part of the "group"?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:05 PM

a reply to: intrptr

No, I am absolutely NOT talking about this site. This happened on a different, very very mainstream, very popular site.

And honestly..... this site isn't much different. Think apart from the crowd? Well, you're just not one of the cool kids, now are you ?

INDEED. Almost any thread of mine includes a vivid demonstration of your assertions and the attitudes involved.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:09 PM

Just a small bit of an example of your point.

One of the primary herd mentalities on here

a very very virulent, hostile, smug, "omniscient" (in their own eyes) contrarian outrage sort of mentality and attitude. And it almost doesn't matter what the topic is.

But the major topics that bring it out in full force are issues around The Religion of Scientism and Christianity.

Some close seconds would be the compulsive "freedom" to act like idiots with alcohol, smoking, sex, music, violence . . . hedonism . . . just because it felt good at the time.

/slight exaggeration.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:11 PM

originally posted by: DBCowboy

What's disappointing is that you aren't conforming. You simply need to obey.

Let me help you out.

Grow a bad beard.
Wear a top knot.
Find out what is trending on the twitter and be for it, do a hashtag about the homeless or hungry people.
Call the Founding Fathers racist.
Start a campaign to ban the confederate flag.
Get out of shape so you can stop "fat shaming".

There you go. No charge.

Oh, and call everyone "Broseph". apparently that's popular.

No /sarc tag for those utterly clueless?

Tooooooooo true. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:12 PM
a reply to: Boadicea

Yeah, I think the bully mentality is the upper tip of the herd mentality--with more angry RAD manifesting than the insecurity sort.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:26 PM
a reply to: BO XIAN

Funny thing...I genuinely feel that certain mods actually look for my comments or threads.....and, meddle.

The things that they remove, for instance, IMHO are petty.

But, yes...the majority population here at ATS? Sheep.

edit on 2-7-2016 by nullafides because: Now with added SQUIRRELS!!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:29 PM

I find that there are tons of "FACT" mongers here.

Do you have proof ????? If not, shut up.....

Isn't this site for discussing things that are commonly regarded as fringe? Am I the only person that acknowledges not all discussions ????

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:33 PM

The sheeple aspect is, imho, merely an example of a smaller subset of the national populations of Western culture around the planet.

It does sometimes appear that there are a higher percentage of rather rabid and fiercely hostile bullying sorts of GROUP NON-THINK hereon, than in the population generally.

Not sure why that is.

Thankfully, I think the modding has improved markedly compared to 8 years or so ago. Yet, mods are also people with their own lack of perfection.

I'm just thankful that the level of civility has risen markedly the last several years.

I think most of the mods are tireless volunteers putting up with tons of crap and doing a yeoman's job under fire.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:01 AM

Happened to me first every forum I signed up to. Almost the exact same thing. People were just hostile to me at first, then I got told off by moderators. Also got in trouble for not using tags in my posts.

I wasn't trying to be 'smart' or 'different'. I didn't know how to use tags and signing was a habit from letter writing.

That said, a lot of persons who want to be pretentious or special sign their posts, use special fonts, or do 'unique' tagging or no tagging at all. You're mostly being assumed to be one of those is what I gathered from my experience. I took my sig off, stopped using tags, no one bothered me there since.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:05 AM
a reply to: Pinke

Much as I told the mods.... If they felt loosing a contributing member over something so entirely ludicrous was worthwhile...then, Ciao....

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:06 AM

True, but all tribes have both strange customs and (usually) something to offer.

And if everyone on that forum decided to sign off their name redundantly (which is already on the left) think about the RSI you get over a three year period scrolling past the extra white space. haha

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:13 AM
Sub cultures form in these forums. I am for respecting the cultures of groups. A culture, which has specific values, ethics, principles and structure, is necessary for a group to cooperate and function in harmony. It facilitates exchange and communication between members.

When I go in a new group, I take time to learn what their culture is, and either I decide to respect while there, or I decide to leave.

"Herd mentality" is simply being social, and it isn't a trap; it is not an addictive substance. You are always able to leave. You can change behaviors in different contexts, as is appropriate.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:19 AM

I find that there are tons of "FACT" mongers here.

"Do you have proof ????? If not, shut up....."

Isn't this site for discussing things that are commonly regarded as fringe? Am I the only person that acknowledges not all discussions ????

That is one of the major detractions of ATS.

And, at times, it seems intractable.

I think it is a sign of the rot in our culture.

The culture is full of epidemic proportions of serious RAD leaving individuals rabidly hostile to anyone and anything that disturbs their comfort levels--which is a LOT--far too easily . . . and their insecurity based PRIDE, HAUGHTINESS, SMUGNESS, "OMNISCIENCE" also sets them up to compulsively claw the eyes and heart out of folks they perceive as toooo different from them to be tolerated. . . . particularly too much to be tolerated without first making a show of shredding their personhood, sanity, IQ . . . clawing their eyes out and stabbing them every way they can get away with.

They are emboldened by the raft of folks who suffer similar serious levels of RAD and so are similarly threatened by atypical people, perspectives and posts. For them, GROUP NON-THINK is a cardinal doctrine . . . and a deeply ingrained reflex. And, it may be as close to 'family' as many of them have.

GROUP NON-THINK is a kind of club, family, clique that affirms to its members that they are right because there are so many in the group--regardless of how off the wall wrong they may be.

Things are a LOT more civil than they used to be. I think at this point, it would take a doubling or trippling of the mod staff to make things more polite. And then it would take a lot of training of both members and staff as to what the workable criteria and standards of behavior would be. Some things are reasonable jokes and satire and some aren't. There's always lots of quibble room. LOL.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:21 AM
a reply to: Bluesma

I somewhat agree.

However, when the RAD is serious enough, functionally, many people CANNOT LEAVE. It threatens them with so much anxiety that they are immobilized, if not terrified about even the idea of not BELONGING to that group.

BELONGING is a very basic and intense human need. All the more so for folks with serioius RAD.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:24 AM
a reply to: Pinke

What is often so outrageously hypocritical to me with such folks . . . is . . .

they seem to be among the first and loudest

to encourage folks acting bat poo crazy

to "just be yourself! Do your own thing!"

Then they wail and freak out over the least bit of posting uniqueness.

Yeah, right.

duplicitous idiots.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:59 AM

Yep, that sums up culture. Is whole point I guess, they judge people by their willingness to follow their culture and that sometimes has conflicting messages.

Wouldn't actually disagree with anything you've said.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>