It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online herd mentality...or, as I prefer to call it, Group Think

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So, I had something interesting happen recently.

On a rather well known site, I have an account. On the discussion forum I was participating on, I happened to sign my posts with a "sig".

The response, was amazing. Apparently, something along the lines of ending a post with "Sincerely, nullaFides" truly enraged the other members.

I was told by many who felt the need to send me a private message...that I was being obnoxious. That it appeared I was somehow better than anyone else, or at least that I felt I was. Many even warned me that they'd complain to the board moderators so as to have my access to the forum revoked.

All because I dared to be somewhat different, and not follow the herd.

Because I ended my posts with the equivalent of "Sincerely, nullaFides". Apparently, it really caused mental anguish and distress to many others.

Eventually, I found myself unable to post. I contacted a mod about it. Very kurtly, his response was "Well, you have to understand that you are in our home. We expect things to be a certain way. If you went into a friends house who liked people to take their shoes off before walking on the carpet, would you defy that custom?"

My response was that a "sig" on my post was hardly offensive to anyone. That it was merely different.

The mod then put a 24 hour ban on my account, for daring to say that to him.

So folks....are we really all just sheep? Is it so utterly necessary to drink the koolaid? To be part of the "group"?

-nF
edit on 2-7-2016 by nullafides because: squir

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It is not just online.
"Range Rover VS Biker Gang - NYC Road Rage "

A bunch of idiots get together and nothing positive happens. That is why Individual rights and self responsibility is the mantra of Republicans.

All of those "Bikers" should be in Gitmo with the rest of the terrorist suspect's.

Bikers threaten the Guy in Range Rover, He defends himself. Many of those Bikers went to Jail. The guy in the Range Rover Free on self Defense as it should be.
edit on 2-7-2016 by Orionx2 because: added more insight

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Definition of front nulla fides. : no reliance can be placed on appearance.

Seems benign. Sure it wasn't something else?

You'll be able to tell if the thread goes away.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Congratulations! You found the meaning of my chosen profile name

No, it was purely the use of the sig on the posts. Nothing else.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

The response, was amazing. Apparently, something along the lines of ending a post with "Sincerely, nullaFides" truly enraged the other members.

That really sounds weird!

Could you please post the exact phrasing, as this is like key to understanding the reaction?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I googled it. You are talking about this site, right?

Just my 2 cents, if theres a problem with admin, thats best taken up with them.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

No, I am absolutely NOT talking about this site. This happened on a different, very very mainstream, very popular site.

And honestly..... this site isn't much different. Think apart from the crowd? Well, you're just not one of the cool kids, now are you ?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

Well, I'd rather not bring my profile name there up in this forum. And for me to duplicate for you the exact nature of the sig, it would let you know that profile name.

I am also not going to disclose the website.

It was, for all intents and purposes... "Sincerely, nullaFides"

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

No, I am absolutely NOT talking about this site.

That explains it. That would be silly here or constitute ganging up, whichever.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Getting yourself blocked on a message board because of a signature on your posts hardly qualifies as "defying herd mentality" and not something to crow about let alone start a thread over. Comes across as gloating over banalities.

edit on 2-7-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

No, I am absolutely NOT talking about this site. This happened on a different, very very mainstream, very popular site.

And honestly..... this site isn't much different. Think apart from the crowd? Well, you're just not one of the cool kids, now are you ?

No, clearly you're a paid shill and or disinfo agent both here and on mainstream sites. Obviously.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You are correct, Sir!

Vote Hillary! Down with white males! Got guns?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Getting yourself blocked on a message board because of a signature on your posts hardly qualifies as "defying herd mentality" and not something to crow about let alone start a thread over. Comes across as gloating over banalities.

No, you are incorrect.

It was herd mentality, that you do as we do. Hair, dress, words used, mannerisms....and in this case, it was not using a "sig".

And wow, are you negative. "not something to crow about, let alone start a thread over" ?

I was using this as an example. I guess it didn't make sense to you. Sorry. But, get over it.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

No, I am absolutely NOT talking about this site.

That explains it. That would be silly here or constitute ganging up, whichever.

I really don't understand what you are saying.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

At first I wondered you were talking about this site. You cleared it up. Thanks

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I feel like you're trolling me. Are you trolling me?!?

My god it's a trifecta! Paid shill, disinfo, and troll all in one?!?

I need to lie down now.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

At first I wondered you were talking about this site. You cleared it up. Thanks

No, most definitely about this site. It happened elsewhere.

But, to be honest...I wouldn't be surprised one bit if something similar happened here.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
That's just the way life is. Go with the flow, get in where you fit in, or become the black sheep. Most of us are trained to assimilate in elementary school.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

What's disappointing is that you aren't conforming. You simply need to obey.

Let me help you out.

Grow a bad beard.
Wear a top knot.
Find out what is trending on the twitter and be for it, do a hashtag about the homeless or hungry people.
Call the Founding Fathers racist.
Start a campaign to ban the confederate flag.
Get out of shape so you can stop "fat shaming".

There you go. No charge.

Oh, and call everyone "Broseph". apparently that's popular.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Lolz!!! I bet I know what website... because that's pretty much exactly what I was told when I was banned for life for contempt of host!

To be fair, I was guilty as charged

I'm not sure if it was herd mentality so much as bully mentality though. Probably some combination of both I suppose. The bullies lead the way and the herd follows.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join