It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Purpose of Parables

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

The reason he taught in parables has nothing to do with Pharisees. Jesus had plenty of friends who were Pharisees and you should stop taking his comments about SOME Pharisees as a statement that ALL Pharisees were evil.

Gamaliel was the famous pacifist leader of the Pharisees in that time and he is known to have ordered all Nazarenes be left alone and unharmed.

You are kind of obsessed with the Pharisees I have noticed, obsessed with viewing them as universally evil when only maybe a small fraction actually were.

The doctrine of the resurrection was a belief that they had in common with the Nazarenes because both sects retained Persian beliefs learned about before Alexander the "Great" and the Greek Empire took over.

Resurrection and judgement after death are not original Hebrew beliefs and the Pharisees were the liberal sect and hated the Sadducees.

But had no problems with the Nazarenes or Jesus. Anti Jewish fervor is all that was and demonizing the Pharisees is propaganda.

Jesus even hung out with Pharisees at their homes.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Wombocracy

I never said no Pharisees repeted.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

You seem to think that being a Pharisee is something to repent of and you are incorrect.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wombocracy

You seem to think that being a Pharisee is something to repent of and you are incorrect.

Well, Jesus saying they were the blind leading the blind, said they were a brood of vipers, and said their father was Satan and not YHWH.

Those don't sound like compliments to me.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wombocracy

Well, Jesus saying they were the blind leading the blind, said they were a brood of vipers, and said their father was Satan and not YHWH.

Those don't sound like compliments to me.

You are applying individual comments to specific people to the entire sect of Pharisees.

That is called today, a stereotype.

Do you think every Pharisee in the world was present at that moment? Or is it more likely they were just people who happened to be Pharisees?

Not to be repetitive, but Jesus was actually friendly with the Pharisees, despite what narrow minded approach you take to the Gospel story. You are wrong about the Pharisees and wrong for applying comments made about a few to all the Pharisees.

It is just not accurate to think that it was wrong to be a Pharisee.

And the same exact thing as thinking it is wrong to be an Orthodox Jew because they are the Pharisees today. Pharisees became Rabbinical Judaism.

You are not an anti Semite are you?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Jesus condemned the teachings of the Pharisees in Mark 7. He told His disciples not to follow their doctrine. He called them blind guides. Jesus condemned them in the NT as children of the devil. Now there were some who repented and came to faith that Jesus was who He said he was, but that's those who changed their views of Jesus Christ.

"If you don't believe that I AM, truly ye shall die in your sins."

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I think the analogy could be made of Jesus being the Good Shepard... His sheep .....followers.... would know his voice and those Not his sheep would not follow as is the behavior of sheep and shepard.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Jesus condemned the teachings of the Pharisees in Mark 7. He told His disciples not to follow their doctrine. He called them blind guides. Jesus condemned them in the NT as children of the devil. Now there were some who repented and came to faith that Jesus was who He said he was, but that's those who changed their views of Jesus Christ.

"If you don't believe that I AM, truly ye shall die in your sins."

And there were some who were perfectly fine remaining Pharisees that were not "children of the devil" to begin with.

He always says "You" Pharisees he never says all Pharisees.

And truth be told, 400 years of editing is plenty of time to insert some anti-Semitism into the Gospels.

Either way, it is not going to help you to consider a whole group of people you don't really know much about (nobody does) evil.

Plenty of the beliefs in Christianity came from the Pharisees. Resurrection of the dead, judgement after death, heaven and hell, to name a few. The traditions he was condemning could only be the oral traditions but Christianity has those too so...

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

I was just reading one of my books, this a story about Peter and his disciple from Rome preaching to the Jews, Samaritans, Romans even Simon Magus.

While preaching to the Sadducees Peter warns that because they won't stop sacrificing animals God is going to cause the Temple to fall. The Pharisees are separatists , one of the meanings of the word Pharisee is separatist and they didn't get too involved in the Temple.

Gamaliel was a friend of Peter and leader of the Pharisees and was present at this event. A tumult ensues over the prophecy of the Temple and Gamaliel stills it.

Chap. LXV " When I had thus spoken, the whole multitude of the priests were in a rage, because I had foretold to them the overthrow of the Temple. Which when Gamaliel, a chief of the people, saw (who was a secret brother in the faith, but by our advice remained among them) that they were greatly enraged and moved with intense fury against us, he stood up, and said, "You be quiet for a while, men of Israel, for you don't see the trial which hangs over you..."

He tells them to go home, he will refute these men in public tomorrow, and they agree.

That's as far as I got, just figured I would share this with you.
edit on 3-7-2016 by Wombocracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

You realize the Saducees and Pharisees were different groups? One point of doctrine they disagreed on was the resurrection.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

You realize the Saducees and Pharisees were different groups? One point of doctrine they disagreed on was the resurrection.

How can you read that message and infer that I didn't know they were different groups? Really?

Plus I have told you the resurrection doctrine and the Pharisees and Sadducees and about the resurrection twice today, in the past few hours.

You don't pay attention for #.
You don't pay attention for *

Gamaliel was a Pharisee, and friends with Peter. He was present, and he also had the respect due a man his stature so it is not unimaginable that the Sadducees would listen to him.

You are really off. I can't think of a reason to ask me that question.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join