It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Rips Republicans Over California’s Booming Economy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Cali is a cesspool of narcissism and selfishness

There are pockets of beauty though but you have to no where to look

The emerald triangle or Santa Barbara for instance are well worth what it cost but errywhere else is gang infested over priced over populated garbage

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Cali is a cesspool of narcissism and selfishness There are pockets of beauty though but you have to no where to look The emerald triangle or Santa Barbara for instance are well worth what it cost but errywhere else is gang infested over priced over populated garbage

sounds like you went to all the wrong places sucks for you,, and i lived here all my life and know that its not gang infested or over priced if you are smart, i take it you just had a bad experience due to you life choices, no need to rip on the best place in the world because of your perceptions and choices

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell
Artifically inflated economy due to ridiculous taxes.

"Right now, the surging tide of revenue is beginning to turn," Governor Jerry Brown said earlier this month at a press conference announcing a revised $122.2 billion state budget and potential deficits ahead due to expiring tax increases.

"We have an enormous budget problem, and that's because of the structure of our revenue system, not because of the fundamentals of the California economy," said Thornberg. "California has turned around and taken the volatility of the stock market and made it the central component of the revenue system. There's nothing right about that, because what it means is that we're constantly in either boom or bust."

www.cnbc.com...

Not very future proof.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Nope loved Santa Barbara and living in mendo however the rest of it I don't care about

I mean the central coast and Sonoma are real nice too but as soon as you get to a massively populate area I'm over it

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

De,De,Detroit. Nuff said

I can cherry pick too.

Detroit was ruined by the trade deals that allowed all the manufacturing jobs ( US AUTO) to leave the country

Both parties are responsible for that

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

The party in charged there like forever is extremely corrupt and only for personal interest. It's like our own little Greece. It is almost impossible to start new industries there due to the mountain of payoff and red tap, so no one goes there.
At some point what happen in the 80s is no longer a current/valid point as to why they are a huge failure.

I remember one article where a person wanted to bring his industry into Detroit and they wanted him to invest into the building structure before he could buy the building to get it up to "Current Code" of basically rebuilding the buildings and payoff the local Government with a lot of costly licences etc that would have been 3 times the actual cost of the buildings he would still need to pay. As we can guess it never happened.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
a reply to: onequestion

Cali is a cesspool of narcissism and selfishness There are pockets of beauty though but you have to no where to look The emerald triangle or Santa Barbara for instance are well worth what it cost but errywhere else is gang infested over priced over populated garbage

sounds like you went to all the wrong places sucks for you,, and i lived here all my life and know that its not gang infested or over priced if you are smart, i take it you just had a bad experience due to you life choices, no need to rip on the best place in the world because of your perceptions and choices

I've lived here all my life too (except for some years in AZ).

Tri-City SoCA beach area - - not far from Hollywood.

Everything is accessible and the weather is great.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Good Ole Bill spouting off nonsense again. Since the top 5 industries in California account for the lion's share of it's gross domestic product, let's have a look see at those industries and determine how heavy taxation has led to California's economic boost...

1. Technology.
It's no surprise that technology is #1. Silicon Valley is in California, and they are front and center in the technology wave that has been sweeping the world for 4 decades. But how did it come to be based in the South Bay area? Mainly because of one person...William Shockley. The inventor of the transistor , and first proponent of using silicon rather than germanium. But the fact is, is that Shockley would most likely remained in New Jersey had his mother not taken ill. Shockley's semiconductor laboratory is at the top of the Silicon Valley family tree. Without Shockley New Jersey would most likely be at the forefront of technology, and we would probably be saying Silicon Swamp. Tax and spend has nothing to do with this component of California's current economy.

2. Aerospace technology and R&D.
This industry took off like a rocket in California in the 50s and 60s. But the thing to remember is that they had to import almost all of their engineers. California was very attractive back then, and when you add in all the available open space, and the climate, California was the logical choice of location. The fact is though that they have lost some ground in the last 20 or so years to other areas of the country. Tax and spend can't claim this either.

3. Farming and food production
Hmmm....perpetual growing season, millions of acres of arable land. Excellent system of irrigation. Access to abundant cheap labor...can tax and spend even remotely claim credit for this?

4. Service and tourism
With 3 world class cities, Disney Land, and an ever changing landscape filled with beaches, forests, mountains, and desert, as well as Wine Country and Hollywood, California has it all.The thing is is that it was all well in place long before California became a liberal tax and spend paradise.

5. Motion pictures and entertainment
As stated above, the climate and varied landscapes are the biggest reason that this industry exists in California. It has been there for 100 years, and tax and spend has NOTHING to do with it. As a matter of fact, this industry receives numerous TAX BREAKS.

So Bill, want to tell me again how California's economic success is due to tax and spend?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I dont know what California you are talking about. Couldnt be the one I live in. Droves of homeless people wandering the streets, in cardboard boxes, and under bridges. People begging me for money outside stores almost every day. JOBS!????? WTF???? WHAT JOBS?????? McDonalds? People in their 79s take the greeter/ Reciept checker jobs at Walmart because they cant afford to live here. Taxes are horrible here. Everything is taxed apon taxed. lots of extra taxes at the fuel pump. Homeless go through my garbage barrels one after another. They come by the night before and watch for me to put it out on the street. They are out there at the crack of dawn digging through everyones barrels, filling their shopping carts with anything they can recycle. Men with signs sitting in the intersection mediuns begging. Young couples sitting on the curb by stop signs with pleading eyes. Walmarts filled with people on welfare the first of every month, disgustingly rude people, who think they are owed something. So what California are you referring to? Quit playing make believe!

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Then move to Kansas where there cutting schools into closing

I'll just stay in Washington state where my kids do not need to worry about gangs and all the other nasty crap CA seems to harbor. I lived there for 12 years, so I kind of know...lol I would need to put my kids in private schools if I was there.

CA is a big state.

My area has great schools and no visible/measurable local gang activity.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

De,De,Detroit. Nuff said

I can cherry pick too.

Detroit was ruined by the trade deals that allowed all the manufacturing jobs ( US AUTO) to leave the country

In a democrat controlled city. The city was slow to change and dependent on one industry.

If cali is successful, let's copy it in other states. I couldn't give a rats ass what stupid party is in control, they both suck. Let's do what works (for the people) and get away from the political clubs. Too much to ask.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Dont know about other states but i saw lots tent citys in california....

Where in CA.

Its a big, diverse state.

It covers about 2/3s of the west coast.

Tents cities don't tend to last long.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
When is good ole bill gunna explain why all those democrat cities like Chicago are ready to declare bankruptcy?

Because Chicago is a city not a state? Or did you miss that he is talking about the whole state and not just one city.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Eliminate income tax period.

Government can # off.

Military invasion?

Mandatory m16 in every household and 1 year military service at 18

So you want to make everyone a slave to the government by forcing them into the military? Also it looks like you are more than willing to support the MIC with your M16 in every home nonsense.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Eliminate income tax period.

Government can # off.

Military invasion?

Mandatory m16 in every household and 1 year military service at 18

So you want to make everyone a slave to the government by forcing them into the military? Also it looks like you are more than willing to support the MIC with your M16 in every home nonsense.

It's working for the Swiss

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Just drive around LA Santa Ana Costa Mesa San Fran

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Just drive around LA Santa Ana Costa Mesa San Fran

I live here.

Born and raised.

Homeless are not exclusive to CA. Plenty in AZ.

I think the beach and weather does have something to do with homeless being more visible.

edit on 2-7-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The simple reality of past economic history is this: the country had an economic boom unlike anything in history, when between the end of WWII and the 1980 rich man tax cut of GOP president Ronald Reagan, the taxes on the rich were above a 70 to 90 percent rate.

This allowed that after a few million dollars the rich had to cough up a 90 percent rate before Kennedy cut it to 70 in the early 60’s.

In that period, when the rich were paying 70 to 90 percent rate, was a growth of the American economy unparalleled in history.

...When their tax money was put to good use the American economy boomed. Back then we also didn't have the destructive trade deals that allowed the corporate wealthy to go overseas and pay slave wages... that exited millions of US jobs.

So, very simply here's how we got in the bad shape were in now:

Under Ronald Reagan in 1980 he cut the rate from 70 percent to about 35 percent for the rich

Then the rich bribed the politicians to make the bad trade deals( GOP and democratic politicians) and then that along with the low taxes on the rich began the destruction of the American economy to the one we have today.

In that time the GOP created the trickle down myth advocated by Ronald Reagan: give rich people more money they’ll invest.

The reality is rich people when they have extra money only invest in exotic schemes that eventually hurt he economy such as the derivatives that caused the 2007-8 depression.

When Reagan cut the taxes on the rich so much the deficit bloated to the hugest in history.

What did he do?

He didn’t rescind his tax cuts on the rich

He went and raised taxes on the middle class!

Then came the trade deals that Ross Perot predicted would ruin the manufacturing sector, and the destruction of the unions and we have the misery we have today

Solution:

Raise taxes on the rich to 70 percent

Cancel or renegotiate ALL the trade deals

Support unions again

Raise minimum wages

Invest that money in infrastructure rebuilding and make corporations pay their fair share

Don't denounce or demonize the rich just make them pay what they should pay to support a healthy macro economy.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

You may be ignoring the homeless people everywhere and the tent city at the civic center in Santa Ana

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: crazyewok
Dont know about other states but i saw lots tent citys in california....

Where in CA.

Its a big, diverse state.

It covers about 2/3s of the west coast.

Tents cities don't tend to last long.

Stockton or just outside it anyway.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join