It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Rips Republicans Over California’s Booming Economy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Bill Maher ripped into the GOP’s policy of cutting taxes for the rich on Friday night.
The “Real Time with Bill Maher“ host said the state of California was proof that doing the reverse — raising taxes on the most wealthy — could actually lead to a booming economy.

The comedian hailed The Golden State, where “Democrats from governor on down control every office and voting body,” was now heading toward becoming the fifth largest economy in the world.Meanwhile, in Republican-run states like Kansas and Louisiana, Maher said the “old trickle down theory of cutting taxes on the rich and they’ll do their thing” was “failing catastrophically.” It’s time for the GOP to try something different, he added.

“If Republicans are going to keep calling states ‘laboratories of democracy,’ they have to start looking at the results from the lab,” Maher said.
,” Maher said.
“After Arnold (Schwarzenegger) left office, we eliminated what scientists would call variables — in this case, the Republicans,” he quipped. With the Democrats in firm control in California, Maher said it allowed the possibility to “really study what happens when liberal policies are tried unimpeded.”
“And the only thing I have to say to Republicans about that is: scoreboard, bitches,” he added.

The methods of a democratic progressive, tax the rich strategy, breeds success in the booming California economy versus the cut taxes for the rich strategies of Louisiana, Kansas and New Jersey where these economies have crashed in contrast where Governor Jerry Brown has rescued California from bankruptcy.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The proof is in the results and the conservative cut taxes, trickle down theory strategies don't work!

edit on 2-7-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

The proof is in the results and the conservative cut taxes, trickle down theory strategies don't work!

Can anyone afford to live in CA and who would want to in the first place that are not already stuck there. Whatever Booming Economy means it doesn't mean quality of life.
edit on 2-7-2016 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Can anyone afford to live in CA and who would want to in the first place that are not already stuck there. Whatever Booming Economy means it doesn't mean quality of life.

Then move to Kansas where there cutting schools into closing

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
When is good ole bill gunna explain why all those democrat cities like Chicago are ready to declare bankruptcy?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

De,De,Detroit. Nuff said

I can cherry pick too.
edit on 2-7-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Then move to Kansas where there cutting schools into closing

I'll just stay in Washington state where my kids do not need to worry about gangs and all the other nasty crap CA seems to harbor. I lived there for 12 years, so I kind of know...lol I would need to put my kids in private schools if I was there.

Maybe you should think about Kansas schools since they were ranked 12th in the country 2015 and CA came in 43rd, ouch, lol and 49th for safety, double ouch. Not too many worst states after 49...

edit on 2-7-2016 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Dont know about other states but i saw lots tent citys in california....

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
California has a bi-polar economy. It's just a matter of time before the pendulum swings the other way. I'm afraid that when it does, it might be unrecoverable. Which is bad news, not only for Californians, but the country as a whole. There's nothing 'sustainable' about what Gov. Brown and the state legislature has decided to enact. Human beings aren't numbers on paper, they're conscious beings with free will. And they, those who are of means, will chose to emigrate to neighboring states where they can protect their wealth from those in Sacramento who want to take more and more to keep their numbers afloat.

California Revenue Picture Dims

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Of course a rich person thinks the economy is booming he's not caring about payin. 1500 a mo th for a small 1 bedroom to any normal person that's a lot of money

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me why tax cuts for the 'rich' don't work.

But they DO work for the poor, and middle ?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
In 2004, I was retired out from a Ca. police dep't. Not wanting to work anymore, I looked for somewhere less expensive with good weather so I could play Golf, which would be just about anywhere as I was living in Sonoma County. Prior to that We lived in Marin County. I watched My Father buy and then sell a house and make $$$ each time, You know "The American Dream"? So I sold My 1292 sq. ft. home in Cotati the very first day it was 'For Sale' I sold it for $445,000.00!! That is right, $445,000.00 for a 1292 sq. ft. home. I paid $168,999.00 for it in 1994.

To continue living the "American Dream" I moved here to Flori-Duh and paid cash ($210k) for a 2,590 sq. ft. home in a Country Club double lot, pool, hot tub, wood floors. Then because I couldn't play Golf anymore, I bought a bass boat and started fishing. Well, launching/loading became a hassle so I bought another house on the water and paid cash..

I type this because part of My retirement package included "Health Insurance" until I was dead. When I was on 7 Rx meds. w/hypertension; high cholesterol; a cancer and PTSD I had a $20.00 co-pay.. Not wanting to continue to kill Myself w/BigPHarma poisons, I got Myself off of the meds. Then in Feb. of 2013 The State of California began deducting $1207/month for "Affordable Healthcare"..

Luckily I have that Country Club home because that is renting for $1200/month which fortunately pays for My "Affordable Healthcare"

Maybe this is why the folks that can't afford "Affordable Healthcare" continue to eat fast foods and preservative laden crap and drink Coke all day and not exercise because they heard My story, where I got real healthy and then The State wants to make "Haves" out of "Have Nots" by using My $$$ and everyone else that is in 'the middle'

In the middle getting gouged!!!

The "American Dream" isn't dead, One just needs to go to South America/Central America to attain it..

In 2008, it was the Auto companies turn at 'The Trough' where they got "bail outs" and then that same year 'The Board' receives bonuses along w/their exorbitant salaries. Then it was "The Banksters/Money Lenders" turn... Now it is the Insurance Cabal's turn.. And that Trough is filled with "The Middle's Money" The Top and Bottom don't contribute.
See: Welfare Ranchers..

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Can anyone afford to live in CA

After getting over the cost of living shock, and where 1000 sq ft homes go for over $1 million bucks.

But Cali's economy is booming, just don't attention to the above, and the fact that Hollywood something California is famous for outsources to other countries like Canada, and others.
edit on 2-7-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

After getting over the cost of living shock, and where 1000 sq ft homes go for over $1 million bucks.

But Cali's economy is booming, just don't attention to the above, and the fact that Hollywood something California is famous for outsources to other countries like Canada, and others.

Not to mention grid lock from hell. I was down in San Diego for 5 weeks and saw crap houses maybe 1300 ft that I would not live in for free go for 600k. Don't think anyone would really buy them, but that is the price. As to grid lock, 0200 in the morning bumper to bumper...that is all I need to say lol

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

california is pretty cheap to live if you were to go just as any other state

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

my kids have lived here forever and never had to worry about gangs sounds you made bad choices in your life

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Can someone explain to me why tax cuts for the 'rich' don't work.

But they DO work for the poor, and middle ?

Poor people spend 100% or more of their income ('handouts' if you will).

Rich people do not tend to need to do this.

Pretty simple, really. e:Link on spending
edit on 13Sat, 02 Jul 2016 13:32:00 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago7 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: slowisfast

even if the economy tanks the people will eat in cali the drug production and food production will never stop constant movement of money

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

my kids have lived here forever and never had to worry about gangs sounds you made bad choices in your life

I didn't have kids when I lived there and I would bet it depends on where you live, it is a big state. I would think I would need 50%+ pay raise to have the same living lifestyle as I have right now.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Eliminate income tax period.

Government can # off.

Military invasion?

Mandatory m16 in every household and 1 year military service at 18

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
a reply to: slowisfast

even if the economy tanks the people will eat in cali the drug production and food production will never stop constant movement of money

If # hits the fan LA area would not be a good place to be... Just think if the electrical grid went out for 3 weeks, most likely be cannibalism. lol

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join