It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Do you really think that climate change is new to this planet? Of course we contributed to the pollution of the atmosphere, but do you really think it matters that much? We are on a small planet, supposedly spinning on an axis, hurtling through space at 7000 miles an hour and traversing through many different levels of radiation. Magnetized poles that are supposed to flip every 3000 years or so, who knows how often. Volcano's everywhere, earthquakes with gases escaping from them, daily.

Do you really think that the climate has not changed millions of times in every orifice of this planet? Recorded history for most of us is only as long as we have been alive, which for the average person might be 75 years, so yeah the climate is changing and will continue to change regardless of human control, we have only geological references to look at for records of the past climate changes over the the last 4 billion years and according to most, humans have not been around that long, so, why do you think we can do anything to stop it or that we are at some fault for it happening?

Can it not just be a natural occurrence that cause this to happen regularly? Of course it can and most likely is something that happens very often in the Universe and billions of galaxies everywhere, because it is what it is.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: forthelove

Methane man, deep pockets of increasingly exposed methane.
Mankind don't got nothing on that.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: forthelove

It is completely normal for the planet to oscillate through hot and cold climates. We learned all about it at the schools I attended. Just look up charts of global climate over the past 10's of 1000's of years and you'll notice that the time we are in fits fine into the climate timeline. I admit im no expert, and I further admit that humans have probably had an impact on global climate. But I don't know why we pretend that this is something that's brand new. Well, sensationalism... that's probably why.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

But I don't know why we pretend that this is something that's brand new.

Who is doing so?

Does the fact that climate changes without human activity preclude human activity being the the primary cause of the current rapid increase in global temperatures? An increase which results in changing climates.
edit on 7/2/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I thought Al Gore was wasn't he?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

I thought Al Gore was wasn't he?

Can you provide an example of him saying climate doesn't change naturally?
Can you provide an example of him saying climate doesn't change without human influences?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

It doesn't preclude it, but it does give reason to give pause and try to make sure that we have have 100% of the data before we go making assertions that can be far reaching.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

It doesn't preclude it, but it does give reason to give pause and try to make sure that we have have 100% of the data before we go making assertions that can be far reaching.

Can you provide an example of any branch of science which has 100% of the data?

Men landed on the Moon without 100% of the data. A probe just passed close by Pluto without 100% of the data. Surprise, even without 100% of the data, the science was right.

Much safer to just keep on keeping on though, because we don't have 100% of the data. Much safer.

What an ignorant stance.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Seriously.... Climate Change? For real?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   

It is better to make changes now if even the slightest possibility exists that we are effecting our climate (which has been demonstrated) yes, we don't know to what degree, but we should plan for the worst, that is if we stop thinking short sighted. I am not religious, and my hope is that humanity spreads into the cosmos, for that to take place we must be efficient in the long run.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   

So then we spend trillions of dollars and put tens of millions of people out of work for a maybe? Because the way that I see it, if climate change is chiefly due to man's actions, that's the only way to go. Screw the carbon taxes and all the other blah blah blah...civilization will need to hang a left at the intersection. Renewable energy and nuclear energy will need to become dominant. Of course that means changing a big part of the electric grid, not to mention transportation, etc. Then what do we do with all the out of work people in the current system? Retraining is the obvious answer. But that raises another question...who pays? If we are going to completely transform our society in short order then we better be as damn close to 100% sure as we can before we do.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

New technologies generally produce more jobs. Remember the industrial revolution (which started this problem, btw)?

You're worried about the cost? Have you looked into the costs involved with doing nothing? Oh, never mind. That's not your problem. It's your kids' problem. But who cares. Let's just wait until we know everything before we do anything.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Hey, I didn't devise the system that puts a monetary value on everything. Somebody has to pay, and my guess is that it won't be the big multinationals. Who does that leave holding the check?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Some things are worth paying for. Unless you have the "what's in it for me" point of view. But are you sure it won't be costing "big oil" something?

But you're right, better to wait until we know everything.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Sure? Absolutely not, but if the past is any indicator it wouldn't be a stretch to see them and other industries that helped bring about this mess skate on the matter. That is assuming that this mess is indeed mainly man-made.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I suppose I just assumed. My bad.

a reply to: TechniXcality

eh, I recycle everything that I can and turn off all the power when we leave the home. Other than that, I prefer to keep my 80° December beach weather down here in Florida.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

No one is pretending that it is new. The fear is that we maybe pushing the climate into a run away effect where changes happen much more rapidly. That has massive consequences for all life on earth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join