It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Muslims commonly proselytize?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Someone started talking to me about God and Jesus and how we should be reading the manual of the true creator. Well, he started out by saying Adam and Eve started it all, but now we are all so different (or something like that) and I agreed with him, and said that is what I think is beautiful about us, we are all different. I listen to people, I don't like to make people feel uncomfortable, so even if I am uncomfortable, I still listen. He sounded like he was Christian almost, and talked about how there is no trinity, and it's no where in the bible, and so forth. He said more, and I interjected that I don't really follow any religion. He asked if I would check out a website, and I wholeheartedly agreed, and I wrote it down to look up later. To my surprise, when I looked it up tonight, I see that it is all kinds of all about Islam.

Totally new experience for me. I was just curious if this is normal that they do this, and how do they know who to approach? In this time, Muslims are kind of looked at in a sort of... negative way I guess (depending on who you talk to I guess).

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

Yes, it is one of the main duties of all muslims to convert unbelievers to islam.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I am sure they do to some extent maybe your experience is common. I have a neighbor who is Muslim, but he has never brought it up to me even once.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I know a few Muslims and not once has the topic of conversion come up in any of my conversations with any of them. We may talk about all sorts of things, including religion, but they never try to impose their will or beliefs on me.

That isn't to say that Muslims don't proselytize - i'm sure many do - but i've never had problems with it or Muslims in general. I've had more Christians try to ram their religion down my throat than any other.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I've worked with two Muslims over the course of 7 years, both of them discussed their religion with me. The first one mentioned exactly what you did; Adam and Eve, no Trinity, etc. It was an eye opening conversation. We had a good friendship while we worked together.

The second one is primarily Muslim, but more of a "all religions are a piece of the puzzle" sort....very different from the first Muslim. Both were from Jordan. She is a very pleasant person too.

I suppose all religions have their proselytizers.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I don't mind someone sharing their faith, it just caught me off guard because it was a stranger I just met, and he launched right into it with no lead up. I didn't know they did that. He was very nice, though.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39

Yes, it is one of the main duties of all muslims to convert unbelievers to islam.

Just like it is for Christians....

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
There is also the proselytizing you may not recognize as such. If you see a billboard that advertises Islam and invites you to come get answers or hear a radio spot that has done the same, you have been called to Islam. Under the loosest udnerstandings of the faith, you have been asked to convert and have refused if you did not go. That makes you a fair target.

If you listen to the terrorist propaganda messages to the US and other countries, over and over they call people to submit and accept Islam. Again, they are basically proselytizing, and we have all been called to Islam through those tapes and messages time and time again. By the rules, they can attack us with impunity for refusing to convert.

That is extremist theology.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh well, my.... I don't have a good memory, but I know he said something about seeing me again (it's at my work, where I work with the public) and something about if ... whatever... I will pray for him and he would pray for me. So he may be back to see what I thought of the website? Ah well. Are you really serious? This does not make me a target, right? No, I'm not paranoid about it. Just want your opinion. And how did you come to that? How do you know?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I thought they did that with suicide bombers and YouTube videos?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
There is a reckoning coming. The 2nd Crusades is right around the corner. They have been preparing, where do you stand?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: crusadors

Good statements, good question. I guess we will see what happens.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

History will repeat itself

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
While it is the duty of all muslims to proseyletise, I don't really know of any specific large-scale group that has made it a core part of their mission (comparable to like JWs or Hari Krishnas) aside from one called the "Tableeghi movement" that originated in Pakistan but has people all over the world. However, they only proseyltise to other muslims.

a reply to: ketsuko
Legitimate target for what? From who? By which rules?

a reply to: crusadors
The Second Crusades already happened over 800 years ago.
PS: Ocarina of Time was better

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world right now.

I think he was sharing his faith and unless he invited you to an event I would not call it proselytizing.

They are not known for evangelizing in the Christian fashion and I think it is just that he was being friendly.

He is on point about the Trinity also. It is not a true doctrine of the Nazarene but of Universalism (Catholicism) a pagan faith masquerading as monotheist.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: babloyi

Ocarina of time rang a bell in my head.

What is it?
edit on 2-7-2016 by Wombocracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

I thought they did that with suicide bombers and YouTube videos?

Why do you want to be the guy who makes comments that are negative stereotypes, and propaganda (lies programmed into people).

It is not even close to the truth.
edit on 2-7-2016 by Wombocracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
There is also the proselytizing you may not recognize as such. If you see a billboard that advertises Islam and invites you to come get answers or hear a radio spot that has done the same, you have been called to Islam. Under the loosest udnerstandings of the faith, you have been asked to convert and have refused if you did not go. That makes you a fair target.

If you listen to the terrorist propaganda messages to the US and other countries, over and over they call people to submit and accept Islam. Again, they are basically proselytizing, and we have all been called to Islam through those tapes and messages time and time again. By the rules, they can attack us with impunity for refusing to convert.

That is extremist theology.

Not true. This is (amateur) propaganda and Islam is not evil.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
At least on this site.

I cannot handle the cognitive dissonance between Muslim preaching and what is written in the Quran. Have the same problem with Paul in the bible creating us vs them doctrines.

If there was a religion based on Rumi:s non dualistic teachings then I would probably find it very nice.

I think the golden rule and spirituality is based on extreme awareness and logic and any prophet who create deviation from the golden rule shows he is spreading falsehood and should not be followed.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Sounds like you met a true follower of Islam. Very rare indeed. Sounded a bit like the Christian beliefs , right ? Thats because in the beginning , and up to the point of Abraham's betrayal by his wife Sarah , they were almost one and the same .

Shame it had to turn out as it has today.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join