It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The pill and wrong choices.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I came across an interesting find, in so much as when a human female decides to have children, picking the partner is done to a great extent on gut instinct. It turns out the gut instinct is primarily the odour of the father telling the prospective mother that his immune system will compliment hers and therefore produce healthy offspring. This relies on her hormones, being balanced to detect the correct immune system. However when a woman takes the birth control pill, its hormone changes the way that she reacts to the smell of the prospective father. That is, on the pill she prefers bad boy masculine men, off the pill she prefers baby face effeminate men. It turns out that the hormone disruption, causes her to make mistakes when, coming off the pill to breed. So she can choose the partner, with the wrong immune system, which could cause birth defects and neurological issues in the infant. When you mess with nature, and big pharma profits, their seems to always be a downside.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Why is that so horrible? Men often "choose wrong" based on factors like boob size, chance of getting caught by wives, etc. Where's the outrage there?
edit on 1-7-2016 by ReprobateRaccoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

In the most general sense, I've had some theories about scent and attraction.

I think maybe your post is proposing something a bit overly specific. (I said "overly" specific... not "ovary" specific... just kiddin').

When a human female (also known as a Woman or Mother) "decides" to have a child, very often she does so with the input of the prospective human male (also known as a Man or Father) and this decision isn't a snap decision. It is a decision that is the end result of an extended period of time when both the female and male have gone through many chemical/emotional cycles so that they are informed.

While I do agree that hormones/pheromones do play a large part in mating and relationships in general, I think you are proposing a scenario where this weighs in much more than the reality of the situation.

Human males and females (men and women) are more than animals reacting to their environment (as primitive primates might).

However when a woman takes the birth control pill, its hormone changes the way that she reacts to the smell of the prospective father.

I think you might be overemphasizing the affect of the pill and diminishing the mental capacity of "it" ... "it" being the woman.

That is, on the pill she prefers bad boy masculine men, off the pill she prefers baby face effeminate men. It turns out that the hormone disruption, causes her to make mistakes when, coming off the pill to breed.

Couldn't the opposite be true? (Assuming you're implication that women on the pill that come off the pill pick an non-compatible person).

Is your OP a scientific proposal?... or have you been scorned or hurt by a woman lately? (Not trying to be a troll but there seems to be something "off" about this thing).

I also ask that in part, because, you said...

I came across an interesting find,

What's the find?

Like I said in the beginning of my post... I do believe that scent and attraction have a lot to do with eachother... but I think you are taking it to an extreme.

edit on 1-7-2016 by eluryh22 because: typo

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon

Why is that so horrible? Men often "choose wrong" based on factors like boob size, chance of getting caught by wives, etc. Where's the outrage there?

I hope I'm wrong but it sounds like the "wrong choice" that started this thread may have been that the apple of the OP's eye chose to go off with someone else. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

What does being masculine or effeminate have to do with "complimenting" the woman's immune system?

I'm into my guy while on and off of the pill.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: paperdoll

What does being masculine or effeminate have to do with "complimenting" the woman's immune system?

My wife and I have been married for over 20 years and have a 4 year old son and I suspect she would agree with you.
edit on 1-7-2016 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm sure that being on the pill does effect a woman's perception. In fact, I would say it would be a definite thing. How it effects the perception would vary from person to person though, I doubt if the change would be the same for every woman.

I would think that an unbalanced diet would do as much as the pill. I would also say that the pill could raise cancer risk in some women. There is evidence to show this out there, just like there is evidence that the pill changes the perception of the person taking it. But I can't say that you could predict what these changes would do. We have brains and morals and the majority of people do have some self control.

Antidepressants would probably have more effect than the pill would. Alcohol would definitely have some effect.
edit on 1-7-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
you would think that man and women would take the time to know each other before they started to consider sexual relations, and then before starting sexual relations, the women would take precautions not to get pregnant, and then when she went off the pill, there would be a few months before she became pregnant ( at least I was advised not to get pregnant right after being on the pill). you'd think that at least some women, who had taken the time to know the person, would realize that their view had changed sometime during those stages if the changes were that drastic.

my guess is this is just another anti-choice/anti-birthcontrol let's convince women that it is really bad for them to control their reproduction bit.
do you have a link to the source of this find of yours?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I can hear Sr David Attenborough's voice on the doc now...

"See the human female grazing on the Serengeti... her choices to family plan via hormones has caused her to display to the 'bad boy' specimen usually relegated to the herd's fringes... smelling his chance in the pharmaceutical hormones oozing from the young female's pores, we observe his furtive maneuverings around the prominent, alert alpha male.

There... he has cut the female from the herd and has cloistered her in a sheltered glen... in a quick minute the next crop of humans is assured; along with a more genetically robust clan. Such is the beauty of the natural order."

I'd like to believe our intelligence can combat baser instinct, but am pessimistic... I find myself checking for sufficient fat deposits in my mates constantly.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: paperdoll

Now that's what I call a strange image!!

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

wow, I starred your post simply because it made laugh so much! ... STILLLL

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
I can hear Sr David Attenborough's voice on the doc now...

"See the human female grazing on the Serengeti... her choices to family plan via hormones has caused her to display to the 'bad boy' specimen usually relegated to the herd's fringes... smelling his chance in the pharmaceutical hormones oozing from the young female's pores, we observe his furtive maneuverings around the prominent, alert alpha male.

There... he has cut the female from the herd and has cloistered her in a sheltered glen... in a quick minute the next crop of humans is assured; along with a more genetically robust clan. Such is the beauty of the natural order."

I'd like to believe our intelligence can combat baser instinct, but am pessimistic... I find myself checking for sufficient fat deposits in my mates constantly.

This was the best thing I have ever read on the internet.

That is all.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Not in a civilized society. Throw all that garbage away. Women are attracted to eyes and money. If you don't have either, you better be in shape.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
When this female decided to have a child that decision was made when I found out I was pregnant.
Oops.
But I only took the pill for a few months in my early twenties as it caused issues.
I don't know if it confirms anything but I have three healthy sons. I mean really healthy. No ear infections no strep throat, even very few colds and no one has ever had the flu. I'm now 59 my husband is 63 and the boys are 40, 34,and 20.
None of us has ever had the flu.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: crusadors

That's just sad and not true. Women want men who cherish them. Who will be there and be a friend and confidant.
Money is important only to the extent that we need to be housed and fed but most women these days want to have a job and contribute. I worked my whole life. We both made our home and raised our children.
Yes there are greedy people and some people men and women have an interest only in money and possessions.and money and possessions are nice but companionship is what makes a relationship.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I read about a study once that showed divorce rates of pill users, who started their relationships whilst taking the pill.

Reportedly, the women felt differently about their husbands after coming off the pill.

I'm unsure about the validity of the claim, as there could have been other factors at play, since it appeared to be more of a survey of pill users over time, but it was still interesting.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I would love to see the sources for this information, seriously, please.

I am really interested in the female endocrine system; how the female reproductive hormones impact the other bodily systems and experience of disease; etc.

Being a middle-aged female whose hormones are not playing nice has me thinking on all these things.

On-topic, in as much as the convenience of the pill seems to train some women to think 'I don't have to be as selective because I don't have to fear the consequence of pregnancy', I could see how that might make it harder to listen to/understand any biological signals the body might send as to suitability of a mate.

Interesting topic, s&f.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: crusadors

Maybe true for a fling. Not so when choosing a husband.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
I came across an interesting find, in so much as when a human female decides to have children, picking the partner is done to a great extent on gut instinct. It turns out the gut instinct is primarily the odour of the father telling the prospective mother that his immune system will compliment hers and therefore produce healthy offspring. This relies on her hormones, being balanced to detect the correct immune system. However when a woman takes the birth control pill, its hormone changes the way that she reacts to the smell of the prospective father. That is, on the pill she prefers bad boy masculine men, off the pill she prefers baby face effeminate men. It turns out that the hormone disruption, causes her to make mistakes when, coming off the pill to breed. So she can choose the partner, with the wrong immune system, which could cause birth defects and neurological issues in the infant. When you mess with nature, and big pharma profits, their seems to always be a downside.

You left out the most important component: Alcohol consumption! Without that elixir the vast majority of men and women would never get lucky.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

Which in itself causes another hormone imbalance, in men the alcohol gets converted into Oestrogen and in women into testosterone. Go figure.

join