It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sin against the Holy Ghost?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Remember God told Adam "the day you eat therof you shall surely die"? Did Adam physically die the day he at the forbidden fruit? No, he did not.

Thats the day he became mortal, subject to mortal death.

Yes, true indeed. But it was also the day his spiritual communion with God in a face to face manner was broken.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

So nobody since is allowed to see god because this one guy ate some forbidden fruit?

You can try to convince me of the veracity of that, but to me that part is misinterpreted, too.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The Eden story is more about sex than anything. Knowledge through sex.

Adam "knew" his wife. They "knew" they were naked.

link   
a reply to: Wombocracy

Well okay sounds like you're being honest. Sounds like you're coming at it from a Gnostic angle so I will just drop that. I will not challenge the sincerity of your decision now but you can still never be sure who is "who." I think I've been in this conversation with one other Gnostic here..I can't tell whose doing what there's no facial expressions present. I was just arguing that it's incorrect theology, I know Gnostics don't follow literalism so I'm not going to go there. If you're honest I'll deal with you as such..

link   

originally posted by: breakingbs

Well okay sounds like you're being honest. Sounds like you're coming at it from a Gnostic angle so I will just drop that. I will not challenge the sincerity of your decision now but you can still never be sure who is "who." I think I've been in this conversation with one other Gnostic here..I can't tell whose doing what there's no facial expressions present. I was just arguing that it's incorrect theology, I know Gnostics don't follow literalism so I'm not going to go there. If you're honest I'll deal with you as such..

I appreciate that, thank you.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wombocracy

The Eden story is more about sex than anything. Knowledge through sex.

Adam "knew" his wife. They "knew" they were naked.

Eden was a garden. The first greenhouse as it were, Adam and Eve the first denizens to be from Terra of Sol.

The forbidden knowledge was how they got here, and what terraforming was all about. Its since turned into a religion.

Go figure.

Do we start gardens now today and make religions out of it?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

No problems, man..

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Maybe some far out nature worshippers, but no we don't. We need ancient tradition or it just doesn't have the same authority.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs

A good example is the parable of the Camel and the needle.

A correct but little known fact that helps it make sense is that the eye of the needle is a nickname for a door left partially open at night in the Temple so certain people could enter for a reason I forget. Work related though.

I might have learned that here but it was recently.

They only left it open a crack so you had to crawl on your belly. It's not the most fascinating unknown interpretation but a decent example of the existence of unknown meanings. Some just got lost in Catholicism and others deliberately obscured.

edit on 2-7-2016 by Wombocracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Cain was the first city builder, or Terra former if you prefer. Then Nimrod.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wombocracy

Maybe some far out nature worshippers, but no we don't. We need ancient tradition or it just doesn't have the same authority.

Ahh, but thats where we go astray. Ancient tradition and ritual are roadblocks to wisdom and enlightenment.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I think if your goal is to read everything to have a better idea of the history leading up to and of that tradition to get a more accurate picture is worth it.

But if you can't make it relevant to today in a modern intellectual fashion you are going to end up committing said mistakes.

I like it because I can place myself in the minds of the ancients and escape from the present temporarily.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   

I actually write for myself things that I come back to for inspiration sometime later.

Sometimes I can't understand my own writing and others make me astonished by my observations.

I find it productive.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Oh, well escape is different. Yah study, a lifetime of study. After about late middle age, it all gels...

Everyone needs a vacation.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Hopefully you didn't perceive my disagreement as adversarial. You seem reasonable enough to live with a disagreement.

I have a special affinity for the Holy Spirit because everyone has an Advocate and Comforter in the absence of Christ on earth for all time in the Spirit of Truth.

And it is only a single mention but I can't place the Father above an entity who is more revered by Christ than himself or the Father.

I can't find an equal to the Father in the Gnostic texts.

Ineffable Aeon is unknowable. Sophia is female. Abraxas maybe in the early schools but he doesn't have the same esteem in later centuries.

If you have any suggestions that would be great.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I have read Gnostic text that does agree with you.

And ones that don't. As we both probably know a precise theology doesn't seem to be the aim of these intellectuals.

So I can live with it being a debatable issue outside the Bible but what Jesus says in it is something I can not.

But at the end of the day who knows for sure?

edit on 2-7-2016 by Wombocracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Wasn't Simon Magnus killed... from a fall i believe?

In at least one Hollywood production.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Sinning against the Holy Spirit is actually harder to do than most realize, you have to comprehend the absolute truth of God and his Son first to even qualify. Think about that, of the billions that have lived a relatively small number have got there, even amongst basic Christians. But if you finally do make it and are baptized as an adult, not a baby, and then make a sane choice to actively work against God's purposes and and his divine sovereignty, then you qualify to sin against the Holy Spirit. Judas did because he spent 3 years with Jesus, he saw all the miracles, he knew, and he made a choice, that choice sinned against the Holy Spirit.

People that were never babtised Christians cannot sin against the holy spirit no matter how bad they are, or how opposed they are to the one true God.

One scripture that alludes to this is Hebrews 6: 4-6 (Amplified Bible)

4 For [it is impossible to restore to repentance] those who have once been enlightened [spiritually] and who have tasted and consciously experienced the heavenly gift and have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted and consciously experienced the good word of God and the powers of the age (world) to come, 6 and then have fallen away—it is impossible to bring them back again to repentance, since they again nail the Son of God on the cross [for as far as they are concerned, they are treating the death of Christ as if they were not saved by it], and are holding Him up again to public disgrace.

Jesus ransom sacrifice protects everybody but once you fully grasp it's true power, and you choose to abuse it by committing higher level sins repeatedly and unrepentantly, that is also a danger too, although God is the judge as to when that has happened.
It seems that Romans 6:7 covers 99% of the people that have ever lived and died

For the one who has died has been acquitted from his sin.

edit on 2-7-2016 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

People that were never babtised Christians cannot sin against the holy spirit no matter how bad they are, or how opposed they are to the one true God.

Except those Pharisees in the text that saw Him do miracles and said He did them by the power of Satan.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Except those Pharisees in the text that saw Him do miracles and said He did them by the power of Satan.

Not true they could have just learned it so they could have believed him.

Pharisees were actually friendly with Jesus.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join