It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

steak grilling tips???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I am not a grill master, so I need some advice. I bought a nice gas grill (made in America) i've used it a few times but I just spent $110 on steaks and some shrimp.

Bought 4 ribeyes a couple porterhouse and some thin sliced idk ankle steak ....and some shrimp

Any grill masters can give advice how to make them the perfect steaks? Or the shrimp for that matter.

Good steaks from a reputable butcher, I bought some rub... not sure if a good steak needs it but i got it...

I can fire up the grill and cook a steak, just wondering if anybody has a "to die for" recipe....

Thanks and have a safe and good 4th

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Shrimp take no time to cook.
I might suggest peeling them, keeping tails on, and cooking them in some tin foil with garlic, plenty of butter and a bit of salt.
Let them just slowly cook on the top rack when the steaks are half way done.

The thin slices, I'd just marinade them, you can find plenty of recipes for those online, and maybe make some skewers, with veggies and maybe some of the shrimp.

The bigger steaks, you don't need much, let them rest to room temperature, salt and pepper with a bit of veggie oil, then set grill to medium high heat, and toss em on, let them cook on either side for 6 - 12 minutes, depending on the thickness, but just let them sit till they don't stick, after that stage you can keeping turning them every few minutes until how ever people like their steak.
People try to over complicate steaks by adding rubs and what not, but the piece of meat itself is all you need, salt and pepper compliment a good cut of beef the best.
edit on 1-7-2016 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I live in the UK and have a charcoal BBQ. I use more oak than charcoal when I'm cooking steaks. The type of wood is all down to personal preference. Not sure if you can do it with a gas BBQ though.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Butter and some Mrs dash.
edit on 1-7-2016 by imsoconfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

only put salt and pepper on meat when they only need a few minutes more on medium best low heat.

or when you put em of the heat to rest , than put a tiny bit of salt on em.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Ooooo steak and shrimp.... sounds nice... would love to join ya.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

When it comes to steaks the more fat in the steak the more salt it needs. I always use kosher salt and give it a liberal sprinkling.
When i grill my steaks i usually put them over the highest flame setting for a minute and sear both sides. Then cook it indirectly the rest of the time till the steak is medium.

btw, I made a shrimp bake for my wife the other day.

We got some old bay seasoning, salt, garlic, pepper and olive oil. Put corn, potatoes, anduile sausage and shrimp in some aluminum foil put the seasoning on it and wrapped it up in a nice package. 20 mins on the grill over the heat and it was good to go.

damndelicious.net...

edit on 1-7-2016 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2016 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
We rub our ribeyes with some seasoning salt, pepper, and a dash of soy sauce. When they are almost done on the grill we toss some garlic butter on them. Ribeye is my favorite cut.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
For your thicker steaks, definitely make sure they're room temp before you grill them. And make sure you rest them afterwards.

While they're resting, then cook your shrimp. If they're in direct contact with the grill, make sure the grill is cleaned and oiled lightly. Shrimp take practically no time to cook, so skewer them securely, and do about a minute a side. Brush them with some butter, herbs, garlic, whatever you like.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Check this site out, lots of good grilling tips. Focus is on ribs but steaks are covered as well.
Amazing ribs

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
If your grill has grates will small enough spacing I would recomend marinating them with the heads and skins on. Then throwing directly on the grill. Once the color changes on bottom(3 minutes) flip each individual one. If you are grilling say two to three pounds of jumbo shrimp by the time you flip all of them the ones you started with should be done. Aim for undercooked because overcooking makes shrimp rubbery and hard to peel. Cook them just right and they are juicy and the entire tail will pop out when you squeeze the base of the tail.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Thanks everybody for replies, preety much what I do... I guess a good steak doent need much, but this...

We got some old bay seasoning, salt, garlic, pepper and olive oil. Put corn, potatoes, anduile sausage and shrimp in some aluminum foil put the seasoning on it and wrapped it up in a nice package. 20 mins on the grill over the heat and it was good to go.
sounds like a winner. Cajun...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Rules for grilling a steak:

- start with room temp beef. i leave mine on the counter for a few hours before grilling.
- don't use gas. use charcoal or wood. but if you must, use some smoking chips
- only salt and pepper. plenty of both. and don't forget the edges...they want to be delicious, too
- only flip once, but rotate to give the nice cross hatch marks
- hothothot. you are going to need some real heat
- keep a spray bottle nearby to help with flare ups. Ribeyes are God's gift to man, but the fats will render and flare up
- when you pull it off the grill, a 2tbs dollop of butter with some garlic paste mixed in sure don't hurt
- if its not at least 1.5 inches thick, its not really a steak for a grill. So if its not thick, find a different way to make it

That's the rules here in Texas. we know something about beef.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
For your thicker steaks, definitely make sure they're room temp before you grill them. And make sure you rest them afterwards.

While they're resting, then cook your shrimp. If they're in direct contact with the grill, make sure the grill is cleaned and oiled lightly. Shrimp take practically no time to cook, so skewer them securely, and do about a minute a side. Brush them with some butter, herbs, garlic, whatever you like.

I like this advise...the room temp thing can't be stressed enough.@at least 2hrs imo

I do seasalt, ground pepper some random seasoning very light then 3 min a side on scorching high, lid closed.
Same time a temp on scrimps, but thrown on oiled grates directly from fridge.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I can fire up the grill and cook a steak, just wondering if anybody has a "to die for" recipe.

In my OPINION.

Forget recipes.

The BEST steaks don't need seasoning.

They don't need to be brined.

Let it warm to room temperature.

and slap it on that grill.

The BEST steaks are aux naturale.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

You beat me to it. Amazingribs have taught me how to make truly AMAZING ribs, along with cooking dang near everything else on the grill.

To the OP, because of the above link, I acquired a Smokenator for my Weber grill. WONderful. Really adds a whole lot of range to your grill (if you have a Weber or similar).

I can now grill Spiney Lobsters cut it half alongside thick-cut ribeyes AND vegetables and everything comes out right. Of course, they don't all go on at the same time.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Whenever I want to cook something different I'll always Google something like "best Mac and Cheese Recipe." I will then look at all the 5 start rating recipes. I usually will pick the 5 star rating that has the most reviews. The more reviews means more people tried the recipe and loved it!

In your case, I would just google "best steak grilling recipes." Every time I've used recipes that are highly rated, I always get compliments on how good the meal was! You can't go wrong. Have a yummy 4th! Shrimp and steak sounds awesome!

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I used to grill (and eat) a lot of steak before turning into mostly a pescatarian. I always use charcoal, too. And always cooked ribeye, too.

For grilling, get your grill HOT. Some people like to marinate their steak in simple S&P, some like Worcestershire sauce, etc, but one marinade that I found and LOVED is McCormick's peppercorn and garlic. Marinate for at least a couple of hours in a plastic bag in the fridge, and, for a typical thickness cut (approx an inch to an inch and a half), cook for about 6 minutes per side for medium-medium rare on a HOT grill. I keep the lid mostly closed, but open and move it around at least once or twice per side. You can usually tell if it's medium because it will be slightly firm (it will kind of feel like your chin if you press on it). Make sure they sit out for a half hour before grilling, though. And let them sit a few minutes after cooking and before serving or cutting so it can rest.

For shrimp, I get fresh shrimp, peel and de-vein, sick on skewers (laid flat), spray or lightly coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, and...old bay, and grill over a hot grill for 3-4 minutes per side.

Oh god, those are delicious. Unfortunately I can't eat shellfish any longer.

edit on 1-7-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Rub a few herbs and spices on your meat, the types you like
Now take your hat off your head, yes your tinfoil hat of course
Wrap your thick cut piece of meat in the tinfoil, if it has bone, leave the bone sticking out
Rib Eye is best

Sit the meat on the bbq for, oh about an hour, lowest setting, hood down

Prawns easy, garlic and butter till sizzling, throw the prawns on till you see them turn white flesh, less than 30 seconds on high each side, medium prawns
Prawns, shrimps, fleas of the ocean, cockroaches of the depths, bit of tomato sauce and mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce, perfect dipping sauce, lime lemon juice saw well

As for the steak, flip it while it's cooking more often than is reasonable
After cooking, give it a few minutes to cool down,
Put your hat back on your head

edit on 1-7-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
a reply to: caterpillage

You beat me to it. Amazingribs have taught me how to make truly AMAZING ribs, along with cooking dang near everything else on the grill.

To the OP, because of the above link, I acquired a Smokenator for my Weber grill. WONderful. Really adds a whole lot of range to your grill (if you have a Weber or similar).

I can now grill Spiney Lobsters cut it half alongside thick-cut ribeyes AND vegetables and everything comes out right. Of course, they don't all go on at the same time.

That site is awesome, I just found it about a month ago while my brother in law and I were smoking some ribs, natural casing hotdogs, a couple filets of walleye, a beef tenderloin, and a mix of veggies. I have a chargriller with a side box to burn wood in. We have a good hook up of well seasoned cherrywood to smoke with. Good times, good eats!

Gonna fire it up Monday, do a little smokin' and beer drinkin' lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join