It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla driver dead in Autopilot crash

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I read this earlier today and I am reminded of why I will never let a computer drive for me.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
As someone who works in a body shop, it doesn't matter how many sensors or cameras they put on a car, people will still run into something. And of course as the generation that grew up with smart phones glued to their hands has gotten their license, there's a lot of distracted drivers out there plowing into the rear ends of the cars in front.

Automated cars won't be perfect either, but they'll be better for sure once the technology improves. Mark my words though, if and when automated cars dominate the roads and accidents become more scarce, insurance rates will be as high as ever and their profits will be enormous.

I fear for that day though. Yes, my job is a concern. Why wouldn't it be? But my real fear is the day the fun and freedom is removed from driving.

There's something awesome about driving a car; not just any car though, but a car that becomes a part of you and becomes a direct connection from your body to the road. Once people are climbing in cabins, entering their destination and sitting back to watch a movie, read a book or catch a nap, that feeling will never be felt again.

edit on 1-7-2016 by Aldakoopa because: Typos

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
While his death is sad all it really means is that there is still a ways to go for this tech. It is being tested and hopefully they are working to remedy the failures.

I imagine there will be even more failures in the future, but that shouldn't stop them from trying to perfect this.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If this technology ever becomes standard in all cars on the road, I can just imagine seeing everyone sleeping in their cars going down the interstate highways! I don't think I could ever be comfortable relying on this type of technology. There's always a chance of having a glitch in the system and environmental scenarios in which the motion detector may not detect. There's a lot more cars on the road and a lot more variables that could cause an auto drive system to screw up.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Here in the SF Bay Area, Teslas are pretty commonplace (Heck down the block a guy has a Roadster, S and X ) and you see these guys all the time texting, reading a kindle etc ALL the time. Tesla has kind of indirectly encouraged that kind of behavior as well so it was inevitable that this would occur at some point.

My 2016 MDX (primitive by Tesla or god help me the 100's of google autonomous cars we have here in Palo Alto and Mt. View) has has lane keeping, collision mitigation, blind spot warning etc, which aids the driver but will keep harassing you if you try to let it go for more than 30 seconds. My understanding is that the Tesla warning systems are far more passive. Perhaps a more frequent reminder would be in order that you are in a 4000 pound car moving at 70 miles an hour and you may want to pay attention

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

think of the more horrible traffic if these become commonplace!!!! I understand for the handicapped, blind, people who hate driving, seniors.......there is the ying and yang to everything!!

personally I hate driving long distance...I had a friend that moved 120 miles away..I would drive to visit once in a while..but if I had a car that automatically drove me there.....I would definitely have one...but after they world out the bugs first!
edit on 1-7-2016 by research100 because: dang spelling and addined a sentence

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
My understanding is the insurance companies are all in favor of automation. The numbers keep proving it.

A minor example is that is why backup cameras are to be mandated very soon in all new cars.

The computers are proving better than our coffee sipping texting reading phone talking distracted and exausted counterparts.

In the best of conditions. Some cars are blind just from rain on the roads. We are still a long way from the type of automation you're thinking of.

On top of that, the computers are only as good as the coffee sipping texting reading phone talking distracted and exhausted counterpart engaging the autopilot. So maybe those people shouldn't be operating a vehicle in any capacity regardless.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
As a note, my car only has the basic automation. Rear view cam as it came with the MyLink navigation option, standard fuel/air control, and automatic headlights.

Everything else requires a human. Steering with electric power assist that can be changes for performance, totally manual stickshift and clutch, throtte by wire gas pedal, and a totally mechanical suspension.

But I wouldn't want my car driving itself. It by design is a "drivers car" and it is a class of cars that likely will never be able to drive itself.

Now, if I was a general commuter though,...
edit on 2-7-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join