It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labeling ideas you dont agree with as "stupid racist bigotry", is in fact stupid racist bigotry!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Maybe this has already been beaten to death, but I only just recently got back on the board to take note of how intense this "PC" stuff has gotten the past several years. I did notice how when right after Obama was sworn into office the media pundits were already using that "if you don't agree with Obamacare you're a racist' jingoism, but kind stopped paying attention to the national discourse not long after that.

So then recently the whole UK-EU "Brexit" vote ordeal went down, and already the following day I started taking note how across social media (including here in ATS) in Britain anyone who voted to leave the EU were being derogatorily labelled things like "Old", "Racist", etc (generally in the same sentence).

Here goes an example I pointed out the other day:

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: hesse
Lol, people that voted to exit the EU are stupid. That´s the truth! The old racist idiots voted to leave. The youth will pay the price.

Broad-stroke labeling things / people you dont agree with as stupid racist bigotry, is in fact stupid racist bigotry!

Here the PC contender had multiple instances of "Shaming" just that fast: Intelligence Shaming & Age Shaming.

Then of course to label them as racists for not agreeing, aside from bigotry in general I haven't yet figured out a good term for this odd inverse-bigotry projection thing (someone help me out here if there already is a proper term for it).

Oh, wait:

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.
en.wikipedia.org...

This "Blame Shifting" sounds relevant let's have a look:

Blame shifting See also: Buck passing
Blaming others can lead to a "kick the dog" effect where individuals in a hierarchy blame their immediate subordinate, and this propagates down a hierarchy until the lowest rung (the "dog"). A 2009 experimental study has shown that blaming can be contagious even for uninvolved onlookers. en.wikipedia.org...

Since humans have an innate tribal mentality instinct, and the Anti-Shamers hate shaming so much, then it might be inherent for them each to reside as a Self-Loathing Shamer (SLS), which is made apparent by their Shame Bashing / Shame Shaming everyone (while still employing shaming techniques in that pursuit).

The act of "Labeling", from my impression of the general PC approach, is itself Politically inCorrect behavior, especially when it involves labeling people bigots to then Bigot Shame them. That would be triple so when it's all done simply because they dont agree with you.

SEE ALSO: Insulting Trump's small hands is Politically inCorrect Bigotry

edit on 1-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
We have recently experienced an upturn in people being labelled racist, because they chose to vote to leave the E.U.

It appears to be a knee jerk reaction, almost a go to in the face of a decision they disagree with.

The problem for me, is that a lot of people I have considered intelligent, informed people, have done just that.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

this is a stupid thread too, its seems as if (from your 2 threads about bigotry) you don't know what bigotry is

edit on 1-7-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

"Stupid"
"Racist"
"Bigotry"

Those are all relative terms. How do you determine their value and correctness as applied to others relative to your own position on them...Oh, wait,...I think I understand it.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

yup, beating a dead horse at this point, but I rather enjoy how well you break down the psychology of it. Hoefully others take note.

a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Brexit in reality was about a difference in opinion between the Royal Family of the UK, and the royal family in Belgium about how the next century should look. Britain prefers to stay aligned with NATO(US) and Belgium has confident with the other European monarchies that it is better to make amends with Russia and align with them under their own military bloc. China somehow is paying both sides, which says to me internally they are either as divided as the US is with a power struggle, or they are pure geniuses and dividing global allies for their benefit. I am still looking for details.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
The act of "Labeling", from my impression of the general PC approach, is itself Politically inCorrect behavior, especially when it involves labeling people bigots to then Bigot Shame them. That would be triple so when it's all done simply because they dont agree with you.

Its a constant *mantra* of mine that *Political Correctness* and *Human Rights*

cause more problems than they put right.

People forget that there is more often than not, another persons *human rights*

being violated at the expense of their rights being being exercised

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

I'm getting an ever more clear picture how to interpret it by analyzing this PC trend stuff. In basic terms Bigotry describes people who will Shame others for being different. Which is ironic considering that what I'm now calling "Bigot Shaming" (as of today) is the big tool being used now a days by the PC pushers.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Here's the thing though it's largely just untrue. People are ultra defensive about their political decisions and beliefs... they see one post slamming them for something and it's like one hundred in their minds. Yes it happens but not to the degree portrayed... or even close.
edit on 7/1/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
if it helps, bigotry is not a derogatory word.

I would never want to be described as a bigot, but its a matter of fact word used to describe anyone who thinks they (or their religion / race / gender / ect.) is better than others and should be treated better.

For ex. They may say it is fair for their white-ass rich self to have the right to marry but gays should not bc that is what the bible says.

Thinking your hands are bigger than anothers is not bigotry. Its just a fact.

It is very hard for Bigots to realize they are just that bc they truly think it is a fact that they are better and they are doing nothing wrong.

edit on 1-7-2016 by veracity because: to correct typos and add punctuation

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Yes it has been beaten to death and you are right if the call you that solely because they disagree with you then it is wrong. But if you make a racist statement and someone calls you out on it playing the victim gets old. You are free to say things, and people are free to call you something in return. Sorry if that triggers you.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
I would never want to be described as a bigot, but its a matter of fact word used to describe anyone who thinks they (or their religion / race / gender / ect.) is better than others and should be treated better.

It seems like you just decribed the entire social group canon the PC's insist need to be treated better than are the dominant gender of the majority race:
Straight White Men Banned From Equality Conference

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

There is a slippery slope...hate and bigotry is usually only directed towards minority groups.

Its very hard for a straight, christian, white male landowner to be a victim of bigotry.

edit on 1-7-2016 by veracity because: add some words

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

In that quote example I posted, he wasn't talking to me (I wasn't in the thread, I dont live in Europe, I'm not a conservative), but I noticed his remark and had to chime in. This is going on en masse internationally, where this level of hypocrisy DOES "trigger" me (hence these threads).

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

That is the logic fail that drives idiots.

How hard was it for Reginald Denny to be a victim of bigotry?

Your very statement is racist as hell.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

lofl

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Since humans have an innate tribal mentality instinct, and the Anti-Shamers hate shaming so much, then it might be inherent for them each to reside as a Self-Loathing Shamer (SLS), which is made apparent by their Shame Bashing / Shame Shaming everyone (while still employing shaming techniques in that pursuit).

Sort of like that whole "special snowflake" thing that's been spreading like wildfire around ATS. Or, using anti-PC BS rhetoric as a flimsy excuse to spew all manner of shamelessly ugly sentiments.

Sounds vaguely familiar.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Because of what I believe,I am already labeled the following...
islamophobe,homophobe,and a hate-filled bigot.I also don't
lose any sleep over others' opinions of me.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Aw gee, that must mean it happens everywhere everyday.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Well, to be fair, generalizing those who voted to leave the EU as old makes sense if you look at the breakdown of the demographics of those who voted, which shows that the oldest individuals voted to leave, whereas the youngest voted to stay (these are median ages of "local authorities," not individuals).

Here are the charts.

It's not surprising that the denser the population, the more that they wanted to stay in, or those with more foreign-born inhabitants voted to stay in.

But I agree about labeling--generalizing anything (and I doubt that these people even looked at this data) based on emotion and political rhetoric is never a good idea, unless you are willing to back it up with facts. But even then, not a good idea.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

And for what I believe I am considered unamerican, communist and an apologist ( usually criminal or terrorist).
Oh and of course bigoted and racist, because some like to play I know you are but what am I.
I too do not let that bother me much. But lets not act like this labeling someone based on their beliefs is exclusive to any ideology.
edit on stFri, 01 Jul 2016 13:56:47 -0500America/Chicago720164780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join