It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyclists want more than bike lanes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Bikes apparently have the right-of-way and are allowed on the streets/roads -- which is stupid since they can't go 35 MPH as the posted speed limit sign (and traffic) flows.

You do understand that "limit" means maximum, right? Generally, there are no minimum speeds on a 35-mph road, unless you're just sitting there blocking traffic for no reason. So, the flow of traffic is dictated by the slowest vehicle on the roadway. If that vehicle is going 15mph and it takes you a couple seconds to find a point where you can pass them, so be it. I have zero patience for impatient people.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

What do you have to complain about?

Someone is prepared to spend 800 million dollars to get cyclists off the roads and out of your way.

Cheap at twice the price going by what I've seen of the behaviour of some cyclists.

Ungrateful or what?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Text

Text
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

They have a bike lane and still ride down the middle of the road in my town. They don't know how to stop at stop signs.....just zoom right through them. You almost do want to run them over but its against the law so you cant. Oh well.

edit on 1-7-2016 by Tarzan the apeman. because: I spell badly and my english aint so great either

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

When you are backing up 10+ cars downtown because you are riding a bike in the middle of the street, you are causing a traffic jam and being utterly selfish.

Your attitude is speaking exactly to what I mentioned about bicyclists and their mentalities.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Calm down...no one said "riding in the middle of the street" in any of the scenarios. If that is happening, that's just rude by the cyclist.

My attitude is a direct reflection to the OP's, who acted like an ass in his rant about legal traffic. I get the disdain for the government wanting to go so ridiculous in its attempts to force cycling, but the unnecessary generalizing of and hatred toward cyclist is unnecessary.

When I ride, even though it's illegal, I stay on the sidewalks as to not put myself in danger (because we have no bike lanes on any of my ride to my work or my martial arts...which take a similar path) and also as to not put vehicles in danger.

If state laws are going to maintain that bikes are legal traffic, they need to add bike lanes (for which you said you are a proponent) to major road ways. If they refuse to do so or cannot afford them, then they need to make riding bikes on sidewalks legal.

Contrary to what my emotional response may make you deduce, I go out of my way to be a respectful and polite cyclist, and also when I'm running. But on the same note, I'm that way when I drive my vehicle, too, toward cyclists, who have as much right to be on the road as I do.

I won't apologize for calling out the OP's crappy attitude and returning the favor. At least I'm on the right side of the law with my attitude, and am not presuming to own the public roads.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
That's why I have a bicycle that's decent for roads and dirt/trails/grass. I can get off the road in areas where it's busy and want to let vehicles pass. When I can't, I'll still be all the way over and even use hand signals to help them pass, usually I'm on roads with low traffic volumes and it's not hard to see no oncoming traffic. Seen plenty of "cyclists" who can't respect the rules of the road, my dad is one of them. Riding his bike on limited access roads with signs posted everywhere that it's for motorized vehicles only.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I once lived across the bay from San Francisco. I would take the BART over with my bike. S.F. was NOT bike friendly, and yet there were hundreds of us. We knew we were on our own, and most of us considered ourselves to be invisible.

As the City made more allowances for bikes (bike racks, The Embarcadero bike lanes, etc.), then more people started using them. When we left there in 1994, I would guess there were thousands of bikers, rather than hundreds, and it didn't seem to make much difference to the traffic. Why? Because nearly everybody on a bike knew they were invisible. Hey, you take a slim chance between two cars, and you might make it or you might not.

There were far more bike lanes across the Bay -- Alameda, San Lorenzo, Hayward, Berkeley, Richmond, El Cerrito, etc. S.F. was a much older city and all its borders had been defined.

I guess I don't understand the dislike for the bike. Believe me, they're not going to play chicken with you in the car, or if they do, perhaps natural selection is manifesting itself.

I never struggled for a place to park. I also didn't have to pay for parking, which is big business in many cities. I could comfortably carry 40-50 lbs on my back if I had to. I rode an elderly Schwinn 5-speed. Van Ness Street was a bitch to ride up and a terror to ride down.

I think it's the best of things -- especially in these times of high fuel costs and car insurance and traffic jams and smog that we collectively encourage people to bike.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Oh boy, this thread was perfectly timed.

Today, driving home, merging onto a four-lane divided highway, speed limit 55mph, I come upon, in the middle of the right lane, an arschloch on a bicycle.

WTF? Newsflash, bikers - get the "F" off the highway. There's a reason it HAS NO BIKE LANE!

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: foxhound2459

" If I was an employer looking for a new hire, and 2 applicants had the same qualifications, but one had a bicycle and one had a car. I would be hiring they one with the car all day long.

My work mates drive in their cars to work, some literally 15 minutes walk from their homes to the place off work.

I cycle from my home it takes 30/40 minutes its return trip off about 10 Miles, Diabetes free and normal BP for a man off my age.

The Car drivers have a range off medical problems from Diabetes through to high blood pressure and are very unproductive due to poor fitness levels Imo,

Fit heathy people make more productive employees

And I'm 52 years off age

And still going strong

Fox.

What do you want? A medal?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: exdog5
I ride a motorcycle.
I'm all for cyclists and support providing acceptable provisions.

That is...
As soon as the asshats in my area start following the same rules of the road
that apply to the rest of us.

My apologies to those out there whom DO abide by the laws dictated here in California.
In my neck of the woods, it seems only those on bikes costing under $1000 seem to show any
appreciation of said rules/laws.

Entitlement can suck it.

Motorcycles are different. People in cars do not see us for some reason. Too busy checking the f***ing cell phone, I guess.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Although I have no problem with bicycles I do have issues with bicyclists.

If they can manage to understand the fact that the exact same laws, minus a tinsy few here and there, apply to bikes as they do cars then im ok with bicyclists.

For instance, your self important ass is legal obliged to stop at each and every single f_ ing stop sign you see. Every single red light you come upon. If you run one and get plowed over by a car not only will I testify to the cops against you I might even think twice about rendering your smug now smeared ass any help.

If you make a right turn from the left lane and vice versa and get plowed over same deal. You're an ass and deserve what you get.

If you weave all over the road cause lanes are something only cars have to respect I automatically think your a piece of garbage and deserve whatever calamity you get.

If you can't understand, at least in los angeles, its illegal to ride tandam (3 wide in a lane) in a single street lane and not single file and you smugly crowd cars and other motorists out of their respective lane for your selfish and dangerous gratification makes you an asshole, then you deserve getting hit or rear ended.

If you ride in a mob taking up all the lanes in a haphazard way your a piece of S.

If you ride the wrong way down a street your a damned law breaker and a putz. Thats for pedestrians forced to walk on the street for whatever reason not bicyclists. You deserve getting clipped by a car rightfully obeying the laws and driving the right way.

Its illegal in los angeles to operate a bicycle on the sidewalk at a speed faster than the flow of pedestrian traffic on that said sidewalk. You deserve a ticket and if warrented due to reckless operation of a vehicle an arrest if your endangering pedetrians.

You have no right what so ever to ask pedestrians on a sidewalk to "get out of your way" or even move to accomidate you its your responsibility to accommodate them not the other way around. If you do rush past people on a sidewalk you deserve to get clotheslined or whatever that pedestrian had to do to protect himself from your bullying and endangering behaviour.

If you speed off a sidewalk through an intersection and get plowed over by a car, its your fault for reckless driving. Dont whine to me that you're now a semi functional paraplegic with a broken neck. Thats was your fault and your karma to behold.

If your driving slower than the flow of traffic and you don't pull over and allow cars to pass that you are holding up if its over whatever the same legal limit (which youre also obligated too) is for cars doing the same you deserve a ticket and scorn from each driver who has to now swerve around your self entitled ass.

If you can manage to not do all of the above and actually respect the rules of the road like you're legally obligated to them im cool with you riding your bike.

edit on 1-7-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

The WORST is when you provide the cyclists with a million dollar separate 12-foot wide, paved multi-use pathway adjacent to the roadway, shielding them from conflicts with vehicles, AND THE ARROGANT BASTARDS STILL RIDE THE ROADWAY LANE. I'm sorry, but there's no excuse for that type of shoddy behavior, yet I see it everywhere in my city.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
My two cents....

As with pretty much everything else in my life, as long as you don't bother me, I won't bother you. Want to drive to work? Great. Want to ride a bike. Good for you.

That being said, just as there are a-hole drivers there are a-hole bicyclists. I would have to admit though, that when bicyclists take to the road, they really should follow the rules of the road and when flagrantly breaking said rules, they should be held accountable. I'm not quite sure if they should have to register their bicycles at the DMV (since they aren't operating motor vehicles) but I do believe that it would be wise for those who cycle to work to look into insurance (which I assume is available because companies will sell you almost anything). It is not beyond the realm of imagination that a cyclist can be part of and cause an accident that results in serious damages to other vehicles or injuries to other parties. Traffic/Red Light Cameras are everywhere and growing in number of locations and rest assured if (God forbid) I'm ever in an accident due to a cyclist and there are damages, I'm going after the cyclist just as I would go after another driver.

Regarding the attitudes/arrogance of drivers versus cyclists: I find that the arrogant driver is typically arrogant in the sense that they drive a "flashy" car and use it as a status symbol. The arrogance of the cyclist is the fact that the ride a bicycle to work at all. It is apparent in this thread. "You're a fat, unhealthy driver but I'm the picture of perfection because I ride my bike to work." Of course, there are people on the road that are literally on their way to the gym or to soccer practice... so, you know.

As far as the demands/requests for employers to provide showers for cyclists so they can freshen up after their morning commute, I leave that up to the employer. I will never ever support any "law" that requires this. The transportation that people chose to use to get to work is up to the employee. I would never ever support any "law" that lets employers dictate modes of transportation of employees either.

As far as demands/request for secure locations for bicycles "because cares have them".... I would say that in general, that simply isn't the case. Especially in urban areas. Many businesses simply don't have the real estate for a parking lot for employees. In many (most) cases even the businesses that do have room for a parking lot, it is still a "park at your own risk" environment. The employer may give you a place to park, but they can't (and shouldn't) be expected to guarantee the security of the vehicle or it's contents. For businesses that have a parking lot, beyond a bicycle rack to lock onto, I'm not sure what else could possibly be asked. For a cyclist worried about security, get the best lock you possibly can.

Back to the car versus bike to get to work thing: I know plenty of people that ride their bicycles to work. Some do so because they have to because they don't have a car (and may do so even if they did have one). Some do so because they want to even though they do have a car. Personally, I couldn't care less because it doesn't affect me... UNTIL....

Although I see the bicycle people only when I'm in the office (which is typically about once each week)... the following two scenarios have come up more times than I can remember.

1) A full-time office bicycle person suddenly has to either bring home files and/or rolls of drawings or presentation materials to meet a deadline. They ask me to give them a ride home after work.

2) Mid-day a full-time office bicycle person needs to go to a meeting and they suddenly are asked to transport files and/or rolls of drawings or presentation materials to a consultant's or contractor's office.

Here's where the rubber meets the road (pun partially intended). If driving a car sucks and riding a bicycle is inspired, what is the cyclist going to do in these situations? They ask those with vehicles for help.

For my part, if (IF) I can help out a cyclist, I will. I have my own responsibilities so I can't necessarily give someone a lift mid-day (regardless of whether or not they own a car). If (IF) I can drive a cycling coworker home I will (although I live in the suburbs and by default in the opposite direction of where most of them live).

Here is something that I do think about though when I'm on the fence. Does the person asking me for help ride a bike because they HAVE TO or because they WANT TO. And if it is because they WANT TO, do they act like a pompous arse about it? If they are of the latter, pompous, I ride a bike so I'm better than drivers responsibility variety.... lets just say I'm less sympathetic and they are more likely to be on their own.

Also, lastly, before cyclists pass judgements on those who drive....

1) Many, MANY people have a substantial amount of material to bring with them to and from work. Whether it be hardware, files, drawings, models, renderings, tools or any number of other items.

2) Many, MANY people live beyond a reasonable biking route.

3) As far as the environmental aspect is concerned and depending on the city where one works.... PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IS AN ABSOLUTE ABOMINATION AND I WOULD NEVER... EVER DIRECT SOMEONE TO USE IT.
I have a story about that from literally yesterday (Thursday) that I was planning on making a thread about if I have a chance.

Edit to Add:
4) Just as it is someone's right to ride a bike to work... it is a person's right to drive if they choose to.
edit on 1-7-2016 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: SlapMonkey

When you are backing up 10+ cars downtown because you are riding a bike in the middle of the street, you are causing a traffic jam and being utterly selfish.

Your attitude is speaking exactly to what I mentioned about bicyclists and their mentalities.

The irony (using Alaska's road system as an example) is that we have signs on most routes outside the city that say "Backup of more than 5 vehicles illegal" and direct slow motorized vehicles to use the pullouts to allow the backlog of cars behind them to pass. Vehicles that don't pull off (usually motorhomes or tourists with the rubbernecks) are pulled over and ticketed by the state troopers... As this is a safety issue, why should cyclists be exempted?

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

You stinky, nasty, unfit, arrogant metal-box driving lunatic.

There you go. Works both ways.

And I agree. Fix the roads first. Fix the U.S.A. after that because poverty is more important than a few privileged cyclists. Making jobs would also be great because of chronic unemployment. You should definitely be worried about the cyclists when your country is going to the dogs.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Ok. My bike is registered, I pay taxes, I follow the rules of the road, and I do less damage to the road than your awful car while reducing pollution and making myself more physically fit which reduces the burden on the health care system. I was going to ask permission from you to use the road, but obviously I'd never do that because I don't care how you much you cry about bicycles and you don't run sht in this world.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: poriggity

Why would a bicyclist pay a tax similar to a fuel tax? That makes absolutely no sense. Blame your local government for not making bicyclists register. We do obey the rules of the road. There. Problem solved.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Yep, thats why I gota massive horn on my truck

Look alive butter cup.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

Stay out of the road and keep your training wheels on. You're not ready for big people wheels.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

Why is he not ready for big people wheels?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join