It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Temple in Mexico Destroyed By Jehovah's Witness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

The criminals behind the destruction of a sacred millenia-old temple claimed they were serving god. Members of the Christian sect Jehovah's Witness reportedly destroyed a sacred Indigenous archaeological heritage site in central eastern Mexico in an act of apparent religious intolerance, claiming the traditional rituals practiced at the ancient ceremonial place were “not Christian,” local media reported Monday. The attack on the more than 7,000 year-old Makonikha sanctuary in the central Mexican state of Hidalgo destroyed at least a dozen stone structures used as altars in the spirituality of the Otomi Indigenous people. Jehovah's Witnesses have fessed up to being behind the destruction of the stone altars, but have not taken responsibility for a hole that has reportedly been drilled in the base of a pyramid at the San Bartolo Tutotepec archeological site.
www.telesurtv.net...

Et tu Jehovah's witness et tu??? couldn't you just leave that kind of sht to fundi Islamist like ISIS and the Taliban , you had to go destroy or deface a 7000yrs old monument still in use by the local indigenous folks, has the world gone off it's rockers?? smh..

I doubled checked I hope I don't get done in by the search engines again.
edit on 1-7-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Any other sources verified?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
...... shaking my head....... I'll never understand most religions, but that one is up there. My sons paternal grandmother is a JW and I just don't understand their guidelines and values.

How could anyone destroy history like that, it's beyond me. There are lots of things lots of old tribes, etc.... did or practiced that I wouldn't do, or wouldn't agree with, but its HISTORY, its EDUCATIONAL............ ugh.

-Alee

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
That kind of action is not permitted by the Jehovah witnesses. They are not supposed to be involved in idolizing that kind of stuff but are definitely not supposed to be destroying it. They do not even vote but they stay neutral in politics and also they do not usually destroy other religions sacred stuff.

Maybe there were some radical Witnesses, but they were not doing this with the blessing of the rest of them. Maybe they were misguided by false beliefs. Witnesses usually stay neutral. I have never heard one even say anything bad about another religion except to say to avoid hanging around with anything god would not like.

It is actually a very civil religion.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

The people responsible for this should probably have their tombstones/resting places vandalized to make an example out of them for future generations..

Despicable actions by some low-life cult-following scumbag people

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Yes NY times have it and vice.
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
That kind of action is not permitted by the Jehovah witnesses. They are not supposed to be involved in idolizing that kind of stuff but are definitely not supposed to be destroying it. They do not even vote but they stay neutral in politics and also they do not usually destroy other religions sacred stuff.

Maybe there were some radical Witnesses, but they were not doing this with the blessing of the rest of them. Maybe they were misguided by false beliefs. Witnesses usually stay neutral. I have never heard one even say anything bad about another religion except to say to avoid hanging around with anything god would not like.

It is actually a very civil religion.

I haven't much interaction with them except like Mormons they like ringing my door bell usually when I am trying to nurse a hangover.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: tikbalang

Yes NY times have it and vice.
www.nytimes.com...
Here is a link to the VICE article.

Pérez Lugo, who has written books on Otomí cosmology, said he spoke to a Jehovah's Witness in the nearby town of Los Pinales who admitted the group carried out the destruction. "He wanted to justify what he did as a divine command in the name of Jehovah," Pérez Lugo said. "I told him that we didn't come here to speak about God, that we were here to see all the destruction and say that this is wrong."

There seems to be some doubt as to who actually did this though.
According to The Guardian,

A researcher who interviewed some of the attackers said they identified themselves as Jehovah’s Witnesses and viewed the altars as blasphemy. However, the spokesman for the Jehovah’s Witnesses in Mexico said Tuesday that the allegation appeared to be false.

A local official in the state of Hidalgo said Monday that some local residents were angered by what they believed to be idolatry and had damaged the remote site.
Luis Perez Lugo, a professor at the University of Chapingo, visited the site in May and talked to residents of a nearby hamlet, El Pinal, who said they had carried out the attack.

“I was there, and the Jehovah’s Witnesses said they had done it,” Perez Lugo said, noting some were recent converts to the religion who used to go to the site for Otomi ceremonies.
Could it be local residents that have recently converted?

I thought we were over this kind of ignorance. Claims of devil worship, false idol worship, blaspheme and fear mongering are all reasons why I tend to stay away from most religions.
edit on 7/1/2016 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Fundies being fundies...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
According to snopes, the allegations may be false. A JW spokesman is denying any "responsibility", but the Otomi are saying there are witnesses, and a confession from new converts to the religion. So it's all still under investigation.
Snopes

A researcher who interviewed some of the attackers said they identified themselves as Jehovah’s Witnesses and viewed the altars as blasphemy. However, the spokesman for the Jehovah’s Witnesses in Mexico said Tuesday that the allegation appeared to be false.

The Guardian

ETA: Devino beat me to it. Well done.

edit on 7/1/2016 by Klassified because: eta

edit on 7/1/2016 by Klassified because: may be

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I don't care if this was in the name of muslim, Christian, jehova witness, judiasm, atheism...whatever!

This is horrible and an example of the idiocracy of the human race.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: rickymouse

I don't care if this was in the name of muslim, Christian, jehova witness, judiasm, atheism...whatever!

This is horrible and an example of the idiocracy of the human race.

I would say that I have no tolerance for the intolerant but then where would that leave me? LOL. It is sad and I had hoped that we could raise above this kind of fear and ignorance but I think we, as a civilization, have a long way to go yet.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Devino

I always say I judge the judgmental...so its ok

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Looks like the religious community is picking up some bad ideas from others with bad ideas.
Monkey see, monkey do.

Pathetic.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Don't believe it. Obama is stepping up on the trying to pin Christians for his own black operations when the only primitive belief that cannot get along with any other religion or belief, or even within its own divisions is Islam.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Mexico's president admitted that there were Isis training camps in Mexico, and they are well known for destroying historical buildings.

Do I think that Isis would conduct a destruction of history and then pin or set up or even under threats of torture of families, switch blame to Christians? Yes they would.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
JWs don't operate like that. If the guys that did this were actually JWs, their congregation will probably disfellowship them.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
JEHOVA... JEHOVA...

Sorry, but when i hear that name i have to think of that Monty Python movie!

edit on 1 7 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Mexico's president admitted that there were Isis training camps in Mexico, and they are well known for destroying historical buildings.

Wow! The president knows of Isis training camps and they are still there! What is he waiting for? Obama's approval?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I thought everything Indian was protected?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join