It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Ex-Muslims of Nth America" Refused Cake Order from Wegmans bakery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Wegmans bakery refused to bake a cake for the Ex-Muslims of North America, but reversed the decision after being threatened with legal action.

A decision by the chain store Wegmans Food Markets to refuse service to the Ex-Muslims of North America on grounds that the organization might offend their Muslim workers has been overturned after the group threatened legal action. The Fairfax Virginia chapter of Ex-Muslims of North America attempted to order a cake from Wegmans to celebrate the three-year anniversary of the founding of their chapter in a private celebration. "The request included a picture of the Ex-Muslims of North America (EXMNA) name and logo, with a caption of 'Congratulations on 3 years!'" according to a statement from EXMNA, "but was refused by an associate from the Fairfax [Virginia] branch of the popular chain, stating that the request was 'offensive.'" The group was outraged by the refusal of service “I’m shocked by the denial,” said Muhammad Syed, the president of EXMNA. “There is nothing about our name or logo that can be considered offensive to any reasonable individual. There are some, however, who take our very existence as an affront to their faith, and to them I have only this to say: We have every right to exist and be proud of who we are, and we won’t back down.”
I applaud their decision, and as an ex muslim myself i stand strong behind this group of people in their conviction.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a national non-profit which provides legal support in cases that threatening the separation between religion and state sent a letter to Wegmans demanding that the cake be made without charge and that Wegmans educate its muslim workforce about the rights of non-religious groups to be respected just as religious groups are.
www.clarionproject.org...[/url]

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

Let me get this straight....

We have a group of former Muslims, that have renounced their faith, refused service BY MUSLIMS at a store IN AMERICA?

The world is truly upside down now.

I await the outcry we hear from the usual's that would rant if this was a Christian refusing service.

If it was a Christian this would be front page news, IT WAS front page news.....
edit on 7 1 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
soo uhh whats an "ex-muslim"?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Sadly, cakes and other tasty treats have become a new battleground for overzealousness and individual fights in recent years.

So true.

And lets not forget bathrooms.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ware2010

soo uhh whats an "ex-muslim"?
Go back to sleep mate and wake up when you are.........Ha,Ha...gee, what is this world coming to...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
If Wegman's wants to be PC, they should start with their name. They will have to now be known as Wegperson's.

This whole business that you can offend anyone in the worl, except those that shall not be named, should be a huge wake up call for all that refuse to see.

"That you are a slave, Neil. Like everyone else. Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. "

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

We have a group of former Muslims, that have renounced their faith, refused service BY MUSLIMS at a store IN AMERICA?
Just about right, they were refused service by the store management so not to offend their muslim workers who would have to bake the bloody cake....shades of obama's do not offend muslims at any cost....

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Let them eat cake!

If it's not bathrooms, it's cake.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
If Wegman's wants to be PC, they should start with their name. They will have to now be known as Wegperson's.

This whole business that you can offend anyone in the worl, except those that shall not be named, should be a huge wake up call for all that refuse to see.

"That you are a slave, Neil. Like everyone else. Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. "

I don't remember a Neil in the Matrix. Which one was he?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

lets not forget bathrooms.
Mate, give me a cake any day over a pi** in the bathroom....

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Huh. I would have just took my business elsewhere. All this is going to do is make the cake people even more biased and hateful... Surely there is more than one place to buy a cake...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Sounds like things went as they should.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
people really consider themselves "ex-muslim, ex-Christian" and so forth? I mean sh** if you currently believe in one religion wouldn't you just consider yourself that, not walk around a Christian (or which ever religion you prefer) and say "Hi! I am ex-muslim!" yay me........ seriously? hows this sh** work... im not religious

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
Someone my over zealous spell checker knows.

I really do hate posting from my mobile.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

There are some who take anything Muslim to be news worthy.

Even here.

Lets see, can we think of a new muslim bashing arena that hasn't been posted yet...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

There are some who take anything Muslim to be news worthy.

Even here.

Lets see, can we think of a new muslim bashing arena that hasn't been posted yet...

There should be a whole forum dedicated to it.

Glad they got their cake anyways.
What a pathetic thing to do in the first place.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Both the reasoning behind the refusal to make the cake and to reverse that decision are based on nothing but utterly asinine political correctness.

A private business should be able to pick and choose what products they produce, plain and simple. If they want to show off asinine political correctness (as in this case) or overt bigotry or racism (as in other cake-making incidences), then that's their choice, and their business can reap the consequences as news gets spread around and they (hopefully) lose business.

But threatening to sue just because someone doesn't want to make something for you is f**king pathetic. I despise our lawsuit society in which we live.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
As Marie Antoinette stated once....

The irony behind this is that a later time after she said these words, she was beheaded (for treason)...something ISIS is doing to anyone against their faith!
edit on 1-7-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

So where are the conservatives now, screaming about the "ex-Muslim agenda"?

For the record, I'm super happy to see their decision overturned. This is America, a place that strives for equality. This means you're going to have to serve gays, ex-Muslims, and sell pork.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If I were a baker, I'd think about a new line of work.

Everyone is targeting them in their social justice crusades. Can't do business anymore.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join