It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it dangerous to let emotions get in the way of one's evaluation of others?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I believe emotions often make it impossible for us to use good judgment. Therefore, generally speaking, I'm of the view that emotions should be kept out of the process of evaluating others.

"Anger is a form of temporary insanity that 'creeps up' on enlightened and vile men alike. Anger makes no distinction." ― SOURCE

“Anger is temporary insanity.” ― John S.C. Abbott

“Anger is temporary insanity. Man is not aware of what he speaks or does. Therefore it is best to leave an angry person alone.” ― Dada J P Vaswani

“Remember, anger is temporary insanity.” ― The Spurgeon Series 1855 & 1856: Unabridged Sermons In Modern Language

When I think of evaluating others in personal relationships, I think of trust. Trust isn't tied to any emotion for me outside of love. If I love someone, I'll often ignore all the red flags that I shouldn't trust them. Is that dangerous? In my view, it is. I allow love to cloud my judgment, but I do it because I believe people should not be rational all the time. I think irrationality sometimes gives people the best chance of success (and following one's heart concerning love is such a situation). Outside of that, in my opinion, trust should be based on what another person has earned.

Probably everyone has heard the old cliche that trust must be earned. I agree. If trust is truly earned then emotions will play no part in whether you give someone your trust or not. In other words, I don't see where emotions come into play as far as whether someone has earned something or not. Earning something should be based on an objective examination of a situation. If emotions are involved in that, I think that's a huge mistake (possibly even for me concerning love).
edit on 1-7-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
You contradict yourself. You say you'll overlook reasons not to trust someone because you love them and in the same breath, say emotions should not be used to judge people.
You don't have to let emotions rule your life, but they are a valuable tool in judging people.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I believe emotions often make it impossible for us to use good judgment. Therefore, generally speaking, I'm of the view that emotions should be kept out of the process of evaluating others.

Everyone is emotional sometime. Thing is, can we control emotions like anger, not letting them get the best of us.

I don't know who said it (paraphrased), give me men that are slow to anger and quick to forgive.

Anger has its place. If you walk in on someone having sex with your mate, who wouldn't get mad? Those that control their anger there are better off than those that lose control.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Great topic.

Yes and no.

The hazard is particularly true with RAD--where there's physiological brain damage in

1. the area that manages emotions & emotional expressions and

2. the area that manages relationships.

With blunted capacities in both areas, intense emotions can certainly distort reality wholesale. And, as you assert, likely mangle proper and objective assessment of other people.

All the more so when the RAD has not been worked through significantly and the individual is still operating at a narcissistic 2 year old fit throwing level.

So, I much agree with your OP assertions in large measure--say 55-75%.

However, emotions CAN also heighten awareness and perceptivity.

They can result in us picking up on cues and nuances that we'd miss otherwise. Heightened awareness--e.g. in a hostage situation, terror attack, auto accident etc. can mean the difference between life or death.

And in a situation where a terminal jerk or a madman is abusing a child, an animal or a spouse, I hope my anger would work decisively to well assess the desperate need to halt the abuse in no uncertain terms.

So . . . yeah, it's problematic--particularly when folks are immature and not skilled in managing their anger etc. constructively. But I wouldn't make a 100% all inclusive blanket statement about all emotions in all situations on the part of 100% of everyone.

It's also a hazard for RAD afflicted folks who are so desperately lonely that they rush from jerk to jerk sucking up to anyone and anything that will relieve their extreme angst at being alone and terminally desperate for love. Their judgment will persistently be self destructive, dysfunctional etc. until they overcome a good majority of their RAD.

Good topic. Thanks.

originally posted by: Profusion

"Anger is a form of temporary insanity that 'creeps up' on enlightened and vile men alike. Anger makes no distinction." ― SOURCE

“Anger is temporary insanity.” ― John S.C. Abbott

“Anger is temporary insanity. Man is not aware of what he speaks or does. Therefore it is best to leave an angry person alone.” ― Dada J P Vaswani

“Remember, anger is temporary insanity.” ― The Spurgeon Series 1855 & 1856: Unabridged Sermons In Modern Language

When I think of evaluating others in personal relationships, I think of trust. Trust isn't tied to any emotion for me outside of love. If I love someone, I'll often ignore all the red flags that I shouldn't trust them. Is that dangerous? In my view, it is. I allow love to cloud my judgment, but I do it because I believe people should not be rational all the time. I think irrationality sometimes gives people the best chance of success (and following one's heart concerning love is such a situation). Outside of that, in my opinion, trust should be based on what another person has earned.

Probably everyone has heard the old cliche that trust must be earned. I agree. If trust is truly earned then emotions will play no part in whether you give someone your trust or not. In other words, I don't see where emotions come into play as far as whether someone has earned something or not. Earning something should be based on an objective examination of a situation. If emotions are involved in that, I think that's a huge mistake (possibly even for me concerning love).

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I think that emotions exist exactly for judging people and how (and if) they should fit into your life.

Reason is for judging other things and making decisions that might affect said people.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Typical female solipsism and hamsterizing her love for thug cack.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
"Is it dangerous to let emotions get in the way of one's evaluation of others?"

Yes.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Absolutely.

top topics

join